bikerbert

New question here. Suggestions for the Best Way to Clean V-Brake Rims??

What suggestions to people have to clean Mavic CrossRide rims? I've got Avid Single Digit Seven stoppers with Kool Stop salmon pads (and dual compounds on the way!).

I just did a thorough wash job on my bike, but there is still some black gunk on the rim. Do I need to clean the pads as well?

Any/All suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Al

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Good question? I would like the answer also. I used alcohol the last time on a Cotton swab. When I took the decals off and was using alcohol to get rid of the glue I just wiped and this seemed to work. I figure that it would just evaporated and did not harm any thing. I was carefully not to get any on the tires or pads.

mtbr member
    I have always used a typical household cleaner like Comet or 409 or Fantastik with a scrub brush. Simply scrub the rims and tire sidewalls clean, rinse well, and you are on your way. I have never had a problem with residue being left behind. Quick and easy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    After every ride, I usually wiped down my chain and chainrings with some home-brew (40%motor oil and 60% mineral spirit), after that use the same greasy rag to clean the rims. I found it lifted the brake pad marks as good as any household cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Scotchbrite pad with some cleanser and water, there's probably one next to your sink. Ajax if you don't mind something abrasive, but WD40 works well too, just remember to use a degreaser afterwards like dishsoap and rinse it well.

Quote Originally Posted by consolidated
    Scotchbrite pad with some cleanser and water, there's probably one next to your sink. Ajax if you don't mind something abrasive, but WD40 works well too, just remember to use a degreaser afterwards like dishsoap and rinse it well.
    Ditto the Scotchbrites (or generic replacement).... I use 2 small pieces, wet them, place between pads and rim, lightly apply brake and ride up and down the driveway, letting the rotating wheel do the scrubbing....repeat with other wheel, rinse both, and you're good to go ...takes moments and works wonders !!!

bang
    if it's really bad, use a scotch brite pad (dry is fine). if it's ok (and it should be with the koolstop pads), just use a damp paper towel. i just flip the bike onto the seat and bars and spin the wheel while holding the damp paper towel on the braking surface. no weird chemicals needed. wipe the pads too. done.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I just use a damp scotchbrite pad on the rims and pads if they're gross and a paper towel if they aren;t and then give things a rinse...harsh chemicals and solvents aren't really needed unless you've picked something like road tar.

I run quite a few vintage bikes on equally vintage steel rims and they have to be kept squeaky clean to maximize their braking ability, especially the three speeds which tend to spit a little oil now and then...using high quality brake pads is also essential for these old girls who can roll out some pretty good speeds.

Again...nothing more than a Scotch Brite with some mild soapy water does the trick.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Members who have read this thread: 0