Thread: Stem sizes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stem sizes.

I am posting this here cuz I am familiar with you guys:
    I have been riding with a 120mm stem for about 2 years... I want to "compress" the cockpit a tad. Do you think that you can "feel" the difference between 120 and 110? Or do you have to make the leap to 100??? This stuff costs money, and I don't want to piss the cash away. I was about to order a new 110, then got cold feet. By the way, I have a store credit that MUST be used NOW...that's why I can't just p/u a cheap 100 and try it. They would accept an exchange for a Thomson 120 for a different size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    on a MTB, the difference between 120 and 110 is minimal. it is less noticable compared with a roadbike because you tend to be 'out of the saddle' and altering position on a MTB so much more due to the terrain.

i would suggest a 100mm. for the above reasons it should not be too short either, yet provide a noticable difference.

- Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -

- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -

mtbr member
    I couldnt agree more, I just dropped to a 90 from a 110 for the same reason.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by acaridans
    I couldnt agree more, I just dropped to a 90 from a 110 for the same reason.
    I kind of agree with this, when i went from 110mm stem to a 100mm, i didn't notice a big difference, but it was noticable, for an exmaple, i could lift the front wheel of the ground easier (Manual, wheel, bunnyhop..). That is about the only difference i noticed though

Members who have read this thread: 0