Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    On your left.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,174

    stem options between Syntace and Thomson

    I certainly like the 110g weight of the F99, but holding it in one hand with a Thomson in the other, well, I just can't see that on my bike. The Ritchey falls into the same category as the Syntace - it would be distracting looking down at such a spindly road component when I should be focused on the trail ahead. On the other hand the Thomson does seem rather overbuilt. So, my question is what stem options are there for a weight conscious larger rider (in this case 180lb). I was interested in the FSA XC115 and XC120 which are no longer listed on their website - apparantly replaced by the OS offerings. I'll probably see those in person to decide. Are there any other options that might offer the stiffness/confidence of a Thomson but ~50 grams less.
    M

  2. #2
    Welcome Turner Homers!
    Reputation: el Turtlehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    761

    The stem world has become a lonely place....

    ...It used to be there were a myriad of beautiful lightweight stems on the market. Now there are maybe 1 or 2. Both are Thomsons. The X4 is a bit lighter (30 grams?) than the Elite, is more beautiful, and comes in a zero rise. The possible third nice stem comes from Hope, but I can't tell ya what the weight is, and they come in limited sizes.



    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    I certainly like the 110g weight of the F99, but holding it in one hand with a Thomson in the other, well, I just can't see that on my bike. The Ritchey falls into the same category as the Syntace - it would be distracting looking down at such a spindly road component when I should be focused on the trail ahead. On the other hand the Thomson does seem rather overbuilt. So, my question is what stem options are there for a weight conscious larger rider (in this case 180lb). I was interested in the FSA XC115 and XC120 which are no longer listed on their website - apparantly replaced by the OS offerings. I'll probably see those in person to decide. Are there any other options that might offer the stiffness/confidence of a Thomson but ~50 grams less.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    10

    How about the Thomson X2?

    These are O/S 31.8mm, "strong enough for mountain bike use." The 100mm weighs 136grs. Check out Colorado Cyclist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,866

    Race Face Deus 2005

    Supposedly at 125gr or so for the 110mm/25.4 (the 31.8 will be heavier).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563
    well, this is a weightweenies forum so everybody will advice you to go with the syntace. but i tried and didnt liked it at all. im using 600mm bars (bontrager race lite flat) with bar ends and the stem flexed a lot. i was expecting more about this stem. but, if you are lightweight, use narrows bars or dont mind (or dissimulate that you dont mind or feel) the flex, go ahead. it wont brake for sure but its too "elastic" for me.

    the thomson x2 is the best looking stem i ever seen but it only comes in 10 rise wich is useless for me. i need a 0 or at least 5 wich is what im using now, a thomson elite 130mmx5 and i love it, well, except by its weights i never had any problem with it, and im riding and racing it for the last 3 years.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

  6. #6
    Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Reputation: DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,007

    Listen! The Thomson X2 DOES come in 0 ride.

    it's listed in my catalog and on-line with my wholesaler.

    I am kinda suprised that you find that you find the Syntace flexier. I guess everyone is different. I found now differnce in the Syntace, Extralite Ultratem, Thmson Elite. The FSA XC-120/115 there was a slightly differnce. may havre been when I was using a Marz Maratho, not the FOX I am using now. I also use a shorter handel bar so maybe that's it.

    My problem with the F99 is it's a boring looking stem. graphics need to be better also. The X2 and the UltraStem UL are the BEST looking stem that I have seen yet. If the UltraStem would use lazer etched graphics and not stickers this would make it even sweeter!!

    if they could get the X2 down 110-115g for a 120mm size, I might go with one!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563
    really? i just saw the thomson website and didnt found the x2 in 0 rise.... i hope youre right because that will be my stem of choice without esitation.

    http://www.lhthomson.com/elite_x2_sizes.asp
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

  8. #8
    Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Reputation: DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,007

    Bonking ... not feelin' well Whoops, it's the X4 that I was looking at, sorry!

    They don't have the X2 listed yet.

    According to Thomsoms Website, they X4 is for MTB and X2 for Road bikes.

    "The new Thomson X4 for Mountain and X2 for Road allow you to realize the benefits of stiffer forks and stiffer 31.8 bars. They offer precise steering, tracking, and more control while riding, all wrapped up in a beautiful design."

    But..
    Q - Can I use X2 on a Mountain Bike?
    A - We don't recommend X2 for Downhill or Freeride but X2 is more than strong enough for Cross Country Mountain Biking.


    So maybe they are going to 31.8 so MTB and Road bikes use the same stem.

    Marketing or Stiffer hype?? Just kidding! Always use what's best for you!!!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

  9. #9
    Upgrade-itis
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    124

    Easton ea70 forged

    What about the new Easton?

    http://www.eastonbike.com/COMPONENTS...70_forged.html

    now that looks strong and light, plus it's carbon bar happy just in case.

    god it's ugly as sin, though...
    Last edited by kukusz; 01-04-2005 at 06:32 AM.

  10. #10
    Illuminati
    Reputation: scant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,580

    We the people ...

    shame thomson dont seem to want to make the x4 in 25.4mm.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    254

    Syntace

    Im suprised that you were flexing the F99 stem but you may be a really big guy. But if you are looking for a stem with a little more girth to it but is still sightweight check out the Syntace SuperForce stem. For a 105mm stem it weights in at 159grams.

    Not to many people know about the SuperForce stems.

    Quote Originally Posted by scant
    shame thomson dont seem to want to make the x4 in 25.4mm.
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Im suprised that you were flexing the F99 stem but you may be a really big guy. But if you are looking for a stem with a little more girth to it but is still sightweight check out the Syntace SuperForce stem. For a 105mm stem it weights in at 159grams.

    Not to many people know about the SuperForce stems.

    and im very surprised about people calling the syntace a stiff stem as thomson. im not a clydesdale, i weight 84kg, im 1,87m tall. maybe people are using small sizes, i needed a 135mm and it was not nearly as stiff as my thomson 130mm, sometimes a test ride is all we need.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

  13. #13
    JmZ
    JmZ is offline
    Reformed Lurker
    Reputation: JmZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    and im very surprised about people calling the syntace a stiff stem as thomson. im not a clydesdale, i weight 84kg, im 1,87m tall. maybe people are using small sizes, i needed a 135mm and it was not nearly as stiff as my thomson 130mm, sometimes a test ride is all we need.
    I'm 200 pounds or about 90kg. I use a Syntace F99 for my XC bike. I noticed more of a difference in flex due to other parts than I do the stem. I'm using a 200g + Beam style 110 stem on another bike, and on that bike I notice flex, but it's also got an old crappy fork.

    I don't know how best to rate flex from a stem but between the Syntace, the Marathon, and the Scott Bar on the front of the bike - it goes where pointed.

    I've ridden 200g Bontrager stems, 150g Ritchey stems and now the Syntace at 120g, and I have not noticed any extra flex between these part swaps. It might be there and I don't notice it, but I have had no issues at this point.

    The stem is on my (long, neverending, infinite, etc) list of parts I'm gonna buy for the other bikes, when I get the cash.

    JmZ
    JmZ

    From one flat land to another.

    Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,381
    I've got a Sytnace 99 on order for my road bike and had not considered it for my XC bike based on sturdyness. I might give it a try.

    Currently I use a MaxM stem with Ti bolts. They are pretty easy to find for about $40-$45 on eBay and weigh in at about 145-150 g on my digital scale.

    http://maxmcomponents.com/pages/stems.html

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,369
    If thomson says X2 is strong enough for MT Bike, knowing the way they overbuild stuff its more than fine. I bet you could get it down 20-30g with light bolts!

  16. #16
    395 Fat Tire Council
    Reputation: SocalSuperhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    If thomson says X2 is strong enough for MT Bike, knowing the way they overbuild stuff its more than fine. I bet you could get it down 20-30g with light bolts!
    Anyone check out FSA's os-115 stem? It's 31.8 only and claimed 138g.

  17. #17
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Shylock
    ...It used to be there were a myriad of beautiful lightweight stems on the market. Now there are maybe 1 or 2. Both are Thomsons. The X4 is a bit lighter (30 grams?) than the Elite, is more beautiful, and comes in a zero rise. The possible third nice stem comes from Hope, but I can't tell ya what the weight is, and they come in limited sizes.
    I have some of the new Hope stems on the way, I'll post pics and weights when they arrive.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  18. #18
    Just give me hardpack
    Reputation: NoMud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    99

    Hope

    90mm std size is 155g...not so light.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    37
    I just received my F99. I'm running it on my HT c/ 580mm carbon flat bars and I can't detect any flex in it. I weigh 185. I was a little leary of spending $80 on a stem ( stick of metal w/ holes in the end), but after seeing the quality, am happy with the purchase.

  20. #20
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMud
    90mm std size is 155g...not so light.
    Maybe not, but what other stem on the market comes in purple?
    Herro prease

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    98
    plus the hope is damn sexy! (but maybe not sexy enough to make a ww forget over 60g overweight)

Similar Threads

  1. Syntace F99 on 5" Trail Bike?
    By jbf in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 05:40 AM
  2. Syntace F99 with Carbon handlebar
    By fun-ever in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 05:39 AM
  3. Syntace stem for Clyde XC use??
    By Fattirewilly in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 02:16 PM
  4. steerer tube vs stem vs bar wt
    By drc in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 08:03 PM
  5. syntace F99 stiffness question.
    By carlos in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 01:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •