mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Stans ZTR 347 Olympic Disc

Hi

Next year, me and a friend are going to TransAlp. Itís our first time, so we are both very exited. We both want to make our bikes as light as possible, to save energy, and we would like to hear if anybody in this forum have experience with riding TransAlp with wheels from Stanís.

The wheels I am considering will be build by NoTubes/Stanís and have the following spec:
    - Rims: Stans ZTR 347 Olympic Disc 32H
    - Hub Front: Cannondale Omega Si lefty
    - Hub Rear: American Classic - Disc

Today I am using Mavic UST rims, but I can save app 450 g with the ZTR 347 ! But will they last all the way to Riva ?

Please give me your comments and suggestions.

And a merry Christmas to all,

Kim
    Denmark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I rode TA this year, but left my Tune/ CX ray/ Olympic wheel set back home and mounted my Chris King/ CX ray/ X717 instead, and I think, that it was a very good idear. The downhills aren't tecnical, but often very fast and with lots of gravel and small rocks which can be pretty hard to your rims.
    So go for something reliable instead of the lightest unless you trust it 100%. It would stay away of the American classic hub too. Don't build a expensive wheel around something like AC, when HŁgi 240, Chris King and XTR is out there.

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    The team of Plews/Thompson came in I believe 11th overall on some special sub-300g ZTR 355 rims. I would have no concerns with the 347g Olympics.
    Please do not use the forum PM or e-mail function for business related questions. I can be contacted through our website. Thanks!

NoTubes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have about 1500 off-road miles on a set of Stan's wheels with AC hubs, 347 Olympic rims. No problems whatsoever. Many... of these miles race miles and some of it on some very rocky terrain. These wheels feel much more solid than my previous Bontrager X-Lites which weigh significantly more. I weigh 160lbs. BTW, the bearings on the AC hubs are still silky smooth. I was leary of getting the AC hubs, but so far, good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for your comments.

I am still considering the Stan solution, due to the weight saving. What kind of tires is recommended to go with the Stanís, for a race like TransAlp ?

Cheers,
    Kim

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The benefit in Stan's is not the weight savings directly, it is not that much lighter than a light tube. But the fact that is seals most punctures, and seals Non-UST tires is it's benefit. Of course the non-UST tires are a huge weight savings.

Not familiar with what you are going to ride?

But when it comes to tires, everyone has their favorites. Stan's lists some not to be used tires on their website. Respect their opinion, no fun having a tire blow off the rim. Some tires are way more easy to get to take air and to hold air than others.

My experiences:
    My favorite all around tire is the Schwalbe Nobby Nic. But it is a ***** to make it take air tubeless the first time. (need to let it sit overnight with a tube) But once it takes air, holds air very good.

Kenda's seem to take air initially very well, but tend to have some air seeping for the first few rides. Goes away and works good after that. Some people recommend brushing the beads on Kenda's to prevent this.

Maxxis Ignitors take air very easy and hold it great. Have ot tried other Maxxis tires. This was the only non-UST 29" tire that i could make work. (Had a 29" bike for awhile, pre-Stan's Crow).

Old Hutchinson Python Air Light's(not new gen) take air very easy and hold air great. The new gen is on the recommended "do not" use list.

If you search through MTBR you will get a lot of info about Stan's and rider's favorite tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdcd
    The benefit in Stan's is not the weight savings directly, it is not that much lighter than a light tube. But the fact that is seals most punctures, and seals Non-UST tires is it's benefit. ....
    Umm, if you use a sub 350g Stans rim with Yellow tape it will be considerably lighter than a tube setup. No rim strip penalty and about 60g for goop per tire. That's going to be lighter than running a tube and heavier rim like a 717 or DT4.1 by 100 g or so. I suppose you could vary the saving depending on the setup but I have found the ZTR 355's very light compared to other setups I've used. I'd definitely do tubeless if going for reliable regardess of a few differences in parts.
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004
    I've got the olympic wheels with revolutions and wtb hubs (same as ac). The rims are amazing. They weigh nothing, but take a beating, . I run the idiot proof set up of yellow tape, stan's goo, and ust maxxis ignitors. I lose out on some of the weight savings, but I haven't had a single flat in a year and a half, and I race expert in the north east, which is notoriously rocky pinchflat territory. On the other hand, the hubs just suck. I don't think they are sealed well enough for nasty conditions, and I fried the freehub in one hard season. I'm looking at building a new set with the same rims and spokes, but with the new hugi 190 ceramic hubs. They are stupid light, and the bearings should hold up to more abuse, since they are made of harder material. Besides, if things go as I hope, I will need centerlock hubs soon anyway
    campmor.com

new york/new jersey xc race series:
    http://www.campmor.com/html/h2h.shtml

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for all your comments

I do still have some hesitations on going with the AC hub, not the actual rim. So I will be looking on the DT 240 Disc instead of the AC hub. I belive that setup is going to be more durable.

As I could understand on another thread, NoTubes might provide DT Swiss soon !

Happy new year from DK,

Kim