mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stan's tubeless for road tires?

Hey I was thinkin, why can't I convert my road wheels to tubeless so I don't have to carry an extra tube and mini pump, besides being flat free. I figure I could just seal the rims and get a valve stem from Stan and BAM, there it is. Is there a problem with the air pressure where the sealant might just blow through a small hole or something?

Anyone doing this?

Wayno

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waynomtb
    Hey I was thinkin, why can't I convert my road wheels to tubeless so I don't have to carry an extra tube and mini pump, besides being flat free. I figure I could just seal the rims and get a valve stem from Stan and BAM, there it is. Is there a problem with the air pressure where the sealant might just blow through a small hole or something?

Anyone doing this?

Wayno
    It can be done but only with very specific tire and rim combinations. The strips are required as well. The reason not every tire/rim combo will work is due to the kevlar beads stretching at the higher pressures resulting in the tire blowing off of the rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Mike
    I don't understand why the rim strips would be required. Thought they were more for "burping" issues on mountain bikes when you pushed the bead away from the rim like on a rock or something. And if my tires stay on now why do you need 'special' tire rim combo's?

Thanks, Wayno

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waynomtb
    Hey Mike
    I don't understand why the rim strips would be required. Thought they were more for "burping" issues on mountain bikes when you pushed the bead away from the rim like on a rock or something. And if my tires stay on now why do you need 'special' tire rim combo's?

Thanks, Wayno
    The strips and tire/rim combos have more to do with reducing the strain on the kevlar beads in a road application. By having the strip occupy some of the space, the tire bead is forced against the rim and the rim does more of the "work." It is very complicated but I'm sure you will see lots of progress made in the near future. Mavic has been struggling with a road UST system for some time with the help of Michelin, high pressures and high speeds certainly raise the stakes.