mtbr member

Stan's tubeless with Crossmax SL wheels

I would like to run Stan's with my Crossmax SL wheels using non-UST Conti Explorer Protection and Escape Protection tires.

But I have several questions:
    1) With the Corssmax UST rims, do I really need the Stan's rim strip?
    2) Do I need the Stan's valve core for Mavic UST rims?
    3) When installing, is it easier (the first time) to put the latex sealant in the tire before mounting to the rim, or do I mount the tire first (using sopay water) and then insert the sealant through the valve (I heard this can be difficult)?
    4) Is there really a weight advantage over traditional tires/tubes, esp. if I use the rim strip and sealant (both together seem to weigh the same as one tube)?

b-boy
    1) stan's said to use the rimstrip. the strip allows for the regular tire's bead to fit into the rim, which is designed for a UST bead (they look different, but i'm not sure).

2) the rim strip includes the valve.

3) it is easier to put the latex in before you pump the tire up in addition to the soapy water. it just works better.

4) the weight savings over a regular tire and tube is about 30-ish grams if you use a generic tube. the real savings would be compared to an actual UST tire; i went from a 1.95 panaracer trailblaster UST tire to a 2.3 continental vertical pro tire with stan's and lost half a pound. the beautiful thing is that you just don't get puncture flats (i accidentally rode over a cactus in sedona and just pulled the needles out...lost no air). just be careful to keep the presure in a reasonable range because there is a chance of rolling the tire over, pulling the bead out of the rim...that's bad news bears.

good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some non-UST tires work better than others. I'm running Crossmax SL wheels with Python Air Lites (non-UST) and don't need the rim strips. The Hutchinsons seem to work well this way. I'd give your set-up a shot without the rim strips first, see if the bead will lock on. If so, you're good to go and if not you may need the strip.

The weight savings for the pythons is pretty good, 480grams non-UST compared to 730grams for UST. (My numbers may be a bit off, these are printed values off the top of my head). The amount of latex depends, but should come in under the weight of a tube. Also, I'm using the stock mavic valve core.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ditto on the Hutchinson Tires working well. I'm Runnning Mosquito Gold Elites on my SL Discs without the rimstrip, at around 36 lbs. They aired up very well, with very minimal initial leakage. They have been holding up to agressive riding, although I did burp some air out after a crash rolled the tires this past weekend. Stan's UST rimstrips would prevent that but I'll go as light weight as I can while I can get away with it.

Anybody know how well Kenda Karmas are working on Mavic U