mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stans Olympic Disc Tips and Retailers

Ok, I've tried to do a search and I get an error. It could be my browser but it's gone on for 2 days over 2 different browsers.

My current Setup is:
    Mavic XM819 Rims
    DT Revolution Spokes
    Chris King ISO Hubs

I ride Cross Country and Race (A jump for me is 12" of less ). I do weigh 160 lbs ut ride pretty heavy (Bent the 819 rims before - Nothing teminal)

I would like to know the pros and cons of the Stans Olympic Disc rims and tips on all the different versions. I like the weight and the marketing about lower sidewall rims. I don't like the lack of eyelets but I think I can live with that.

Also I will be using my Chris King Hubs but would like some input on Sapim Lazer Spokes vs DT Revolutions. Does anyone have a real pro and con list or just personal feelings on these spokes? I'd love to use CX-Rays but not sure I want to swing the cost.

Okay, last question: Where do you guys buy your Stans Olympics and where do you suggest getting a deal on the CX-Rays. I will build my own wheels so I don't need to buy them from a builder per se.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My recommedation would be to keep the 819/King set for training and trail riding. Build up a set of Olympics on other hubs for racing.

If you are bending 819's without doing more than 12" jumps I would question whether Olympics would last as an everyday rim for you. Plus the Kings really arent a very light hub. So for an ultra light race wheelset, I think there are better options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't need Ultra light but I wanted something significant to make it worth the money. I like the Olympics due to the lower sidewall design and no need for rim strips. I don't care to have race wheels and training wheels. My second choice is DT Swiss 4.1d and Eclipse Strips with my King hubs. DT Swiss With Rim strips only saves me like 1/4 pound vs 3/4 pound with the Olympics.
    Last edited by Asahi; 03-09-2006 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    asahi, isnt the DT4.1 425grams against 819s 465grams? so is that the 1/4 pound?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno787
    asahi, isnt the DT4.1 425grams against 819s 465grams? so is that the 1/4 pound?
    Actual weight on the 819 is about 515g. Yes the DT is 425.

Larry Mettler
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bruno, I think I saw you post that somewhere else as well. 465g for 819's doesn't count 64 eyelets that screw in to hold the spokes. As Ventanarama mentioned the 819 is about 515g. If you figure 425g PLUS 30g for a rim strip you get around 120 g which is just over 1/4 lb.

Want to vent?
    Dunno about cons, but so far, the stans ztr olympic rim has been a pleasure to deal with...

the rim was pretty much true(round) out of the box (mavic rims seem to always be way off..new)

i built the wheel using a front dt swiss 240s 28h centerlock hub with dt centerlock iso adaptor.....dt supercomp spokes and dt 12mm al nipples..........

combined with their fancy rim tape and valve stem method, setup on a tubeless michelin xcr dry....its extremely light....havent weighed it yet but it is noticeably lighter than any other front disc wheel i have (even close or lighter than my rolf propel v brake wheel which is crazy light)...and its riding perfectly

some of my comparisons here are coming from the fact i built up a similiar wheel a few days prior using the same hub and dt revo spokes, al nipples and a mavic 717 disc rim.....with a stans regular rim strip and michelin xcr dry tubeless tire....obviously you can see where the weight differences are...and ive had ride issues with that wheel so its back in the wheel stand...

i have lasers on my road wheels so no abuse tests, but revolutions have been fine for me in v brake apps......for spokes dont rule out dt supercomps...for a lasting disc race wheel

also i order direct from no-tubes.com...ive seen there rims marked up by 10-15 dollars at some online retailers

my stans will hit the ouachita challenge in a few weeks , so if it doesnt explode below me ill be sold for sure on them....

my 2 cents so far
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great Info.

Members who have read this thread: 0