mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Stan's Lightweight Rotors, Who remembers those 2nd Gen versions?

Hey guys who remembers Stan's 2nd generation lightweight coated aluminum rotors? They worked great from what I remember and wonder why he stopped making them. With the demise of Kettle I wonder if there is a market demand for them?

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmax View Post
    Hey guys who remembers Stan's 2nd generation lightweight coated aluminum rotors? They worked great from what I remember and wonder why he stopped making them. With the demise of Kettle I wonder if there is a market demand for them?
    Kettle is back in business . Scrubs unfortunately is not . Any moving weight reduction is a bonus and especially rotational weight even if it is close to the hub/centre . For me the best rotors are Scrubs and then KettleCycles . I never heard of Stans rotors before and didn't even know they delved into that area tbh !!!

On my bike I have the Kettle rear rotor and Scrub raceday front rotor (i have the Workhorse rotor too but not too fond of it - also had bad reviews ) .

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I was close to buying Kettle rotors a number of times and each time I've bought something else due to seeing so many classifieds with people selling barely used Kettles due to various reasons..

What I read from that is that they might work for certain drive style, but for serious use people were replacing them.

Specialized
    Quote Originally Posted by diskox View Post
    I was close to buying Kettle rotors a number of times and each time I've bought something else due to seeing so many classifieds with people selling barely used Kettles due to various reasons..

What I read from that is that they might work for certain drive style, but for serious use people were replacing them.
    One thing people forget is breaking in periods . These take a looooooong time to break in and perhaps people weren't aware of that . At first they feel like garbage and barely stop the bike but gradual hard braking will create a 'surface' on the rotor that should be nice and shiny . I noticed also a lot of them being sold but never saw a shiny surface .

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That might be the case. Time however is luxury that I don't have.

I still do want them though as my whole bike is black except the rotors

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The Stans rotors were fairly pricey and very reliant on the coating which wore through pretty quickly. At the time I had a cheap stream of them from sponsored racers who couldn't face using them themselves which tells you something. Only the proper weenies (with a lot of rotors available to them!) like Sauser lived with their high wear rate. The other problem was light, cheap steel rotors started to come in around the same time. The 160mm Stans was ~62g (real) while you now have rotors like the Ai2 (66g) and KCNC (73g) for peanuts, while also being far more durable. I can't see there being any demand for them again but they looked very cool

The problem with Kettle is not only the sub standard braking but also that they failed to deliver a product while taking rather a lot of people's money and being uncontactable (allegedly according to the interwebz), i.e. they have a very poor reputation

Any moving weight reduction is a bonus and especially rotational weight even if it is close to the hub/centre
    While this is true in theory the practical effect is negligible. Look up the GCN video climbing a mountain in France with various weight added to the bike including tyres filled with water

Specialized
    The braking performance of the Kettle Rotors is very good just takes far longer than any other brake rotor to break in and like diskox said some people just don't have the time/patience . I have to agree that they pi**ed people off (understandably) with their turnaround . I believe some still haven't even been given a refund (but don't quote me on that) .

I also have the KCNC floater, KCNC standard and AShima Ai2 rotors (both black and white) and they do perform incredibly well I won't deny that but on a WW bike I cannot justify putting them on as the performance of my Scrubs and Kettle work incredibly well and at a combined weight of around 98grams I ain't complaining .

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    The problem with discussing things like brakes is that everything is relative You describe the Ashima and KCNC as incredibly good and I guess Kettle is a viable option with that as a baseline but for me the Ashima/ KCNC are barely acceptable in performance compared to something that stays truer longer, wears better, brakes more consistently in the wet, etc, etc, etc like a Hope X2 at 80g. Anything worse than an Ashima/ KCNC rotor is not suited to my riding but, as I said, not everyone is the same and we all find our acceptable weight/ performance balance

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've tried a whole set of different rotor / pad combinations, and now run Hope X2 race, 160/140mm, 80g front, 65g rear.

They work faultlessly in any weather, and coped perfectly with the descent down an alp last year that saw 21 successive 45mph to 10mph braking sessions in 17 minutes. No drama, no fade, just perfect braking.

Having just climbed over 3,000ft, I really needed to get down to a bar quickly

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yep, Hope X2 race are very, very hard to beat in the weight/ performance/ cost stakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-W View Post
    The problem with discussing things like brakes is that everything is relative You describe the Ashima and KCNC as incredibly good and I guess Kettle is a viable option with that as a baseline but for me the Ashima/ KCNC are barely acceptable in performance compared to something that stays truer longer, wears better, brakes more consistently in the wet, etc, etc, etc like a Hope X2 at 80g. Anything worse than an Ashima/ KCNC rotor is not suited to my riding but, as I said, not everyone is the same and we all find our acceptable weight/ performance balance
    The Ashima Ai2 and the KCNC Razor aren't comparable in terms of performance. The KCNC Razor is much better performer, comparable to the heavier Ashima AiRotor ARO-08.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I don't think anyone said they were identical. Sure the KCNC are better but both are sub-par IMO, especially throwing wet conditions and longer descents in to the mix

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    I had a set of Innolites and they were remarkable. I need more!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i still have a set of Stan's but i do not remeber if 1st or 2nd generation

which differences ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey Eli do you still have the rotors?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Gen 1 were just alu, Gen 2 were alu with a coating IIRC