mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SRAM shifters/ derail w/ Shimano chain/cassette?

Hello. I'm using SRAM X.0 shifters and rear derail. w/ Shimano XTR chain and cassette. Shifting is really good, but would it be better if I switched to a SRAM chain and cassette? If so, does the SRAM chain and cassette weigh more or less than the Shimano stuff?

Thanks,
    Craig T

Max
    Velodramatic
    shifting is on par i guess, maybe the shimano stuff is even better. expect 10-15 g weight savings when using the PC-99 hollow pin chain by SRAM. given you wanna stick to the 11-32 gearing, the XTR cassette is about 40 g lighter than the lightest SRAM cassette.

but check out weightweenies.starbike.com for more detailed weights

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig T
    Hello. I'm using SRAM X.0 shifters and rear derail. w/ Shimano XTR chain and cassette. Shifting is really good, but would it be better if I switched to a SRAM chain and cassette? If so, does the SRAM chain and cassette weigh more or less than the Shimano stuff?

Thanks,
    Craig T
    Shouldn't be a problem...I got mine setup with X.9 trigger shifter and derailleur on a Shimano XT cassette and crank using an XTR chain and I had no problem whatsoever. The shifting is perfectly crisp and precise.
    As a rule of a thumb, it's better to keep your drivetrain in 1 family but for me, as long as your chain, cassette and/or crank are the same family, then you can use whatever derailleur available since the chain will just pass on it...
    I maybe wrong but that's my 2 cents...

jrm
    mtbr member

kinda using the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig T

Thanks,
    Craig T
    Im using sram shifters/RD,shimano FD, shimano XTR cassette and a Sram PC 89 chain. Shifting is great but the real reason i went this route was ease of removal and maintenance using the PC-89.