mtbr member

SRAM Nightcrawler, anyone use these?

Do they work well?
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 07-29-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Max
    Velodramatic
    well, they do, BUT:

I'd go for sealed XTR caps. lighter and your system is sealed all the way from shifter to derailleur. or get nokons. while Nino surely opposes them , i really like them. and many others as well

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

mtbr member
    I just installed dura ace deraileur cables and one of the first things I noticed, other than there not being enough housing for my bike in one box, was that they had no means of sealing the cables. Where can you get XTR caps? I've searched and searched and the only loose caps I can find are bulk plano nothing special caps. I've only seen XTR and Dura Ace caps included in kits.

BTW, I have been very much concidering Nokon cables for my brakes.... You run full length inner liner with those, don't you?

mtbr member
    I've used one of those before. I can't recall if it worked well or not. It's not on my bike anymore, so maybe that's an indicator of it's success. I've been considering getting avid straight jacket cables and housings for the burner frame I'm very slowly building up.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I use it on my idworx and I really love it. I use that bike as my real mud bike, and it keeps shifting in all conditions. I use it with my front der. And on the back I have an XTR end cap.
    It's not the lightest thing, but I like it.

Grt Bas

Max
    Velodramatic
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    I just installed dura ace deraileur cables and one of the first things I noticed, other than there not being enough housing for my bike in one box, was that they had no means of sealing the cables. Where can you get XTR caps? I've searched and searched and the only loose caps I can find are bulk plano nothing special caps. I've only seen XTR and Dura Ace caps included in kits.

BTW, I have been very much concidering Nokon cables for my brakes.... You run full length inner liner with those, don't you?
    well, my LBS carries them for example. then pieces, in a small box.
    regarding the Nokons, yes, they run full length inner cables. the liners are teflon. on the ends i installed gore rubber sleeves (remeber those yellow sleeves?) which fit really tight and make for extra mud protection.

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

Trail rider and racer
    Anyone care to share with me exactly what it is?
    Trev!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Anyone care to share with me exactly what it is?
    Yes it's a rude s#x toy. Akshully it's a seal that goes on the rear derailer cable just before the last stop and the last piece of housing at the derailer. The bellows allow it to go up & down as the cable adjusts the derailer thus stopping dirty water running down the cable and into the last piece of housing.

They work 100%. I've used one for 5 years.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    My lbs doesn't, or at least the guy that works there is a real moron, (the latter is probably more likely). I asked for dura ace cable housing and end caps last weeek (when I found out one DA derauleur cable kit doesn't have enough for my MTB) and he came out with this chepo bulk cable housing and crappy crome encaps (the kind you see on walmart bikes).

Anyway, thanks!

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

I like the Nokon

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    well, they do, BUT:

I'd go for sealed XTR caps. lighter and your system is sealed all the way from shifter to derailleur. or get nokons. while Nino surely opposes them , i really like them. and many others as well
    I used to run Flak Jackets, but the housing gets ratty fairly quickly, and the urithane liners crack if you have long top-tube routing. Happened on all my rides, so I stopped using them, even though they do look cool.

I've had good luck with Nokon housing for brakes. It takes a few tries to set it up right, because it's easy to go too short because it's so flexible. Once it's set up, though, it's pretty cool stuff IMHO. Be careful, though- it marks unprotected parts of the frame where it rubs, so put some clear packing tape or stickers or something between the housing and the frame to keep your paint pretty.
    A hardtail is forever

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Yes it's a rude s#x toy. Akshully it's a seal that goes on the rear derailer cable just before the last stop and the last piece of housing at the derailer. The bellows allow it to go up & down as the cable adjusts the derailer thus stopping dirty water running down the cable and into the last piece of housing.

They work 100%. I've used one for 5 years.
    Thanks Mike for that.

I'll get one for myself. It sounds like a must have for me and my bike, with all the mud/wet I experience each year.
    Trev!