Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

SRAM attack shorties question

So I noticed these guys on jenson (cheap $33 rear and $20 for the front) and they apparently weight 80g/pc at least that's what jenson says since sram's site says "n/a" for weight. Apparently these can be used for shimano too. Had no idea. I could save about 60g over my m970 triggers. Wondering if anyone has the true weights of these and know if you can really use these on an xtr 970 rear derailleur. I was under the impression there was the 2:1 ratio that never allowed for this.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Shifter.aspx

These seem to be lighter than even the x.o. twisters too!
    3po armorless, the first weight weenie.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by protocol_droid
    So I noticed these guys on jenson (cheap $33 rear and $20 for the front) and they apparently weight 80g/pc at least that's what jenson says since sram's site says "n/a" for weight. Apparently these can be used for shimano too. Had no idea. I could save about 60g over my m970 triggers. Wondering if anyone has the true weights of these and know if you can really use these on an xtr 970 rear derailleur. I was under the impression there was the 2:1 ratio that never allowed for this.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Shifter.aspx

These seem to be lighter than even the x.o. twisters too!
    here you go: the wires are 27g...

beware of bad weather with these grips though! i'd suggest you look out for Grip Shift Plasmas. still lighter, grippier and performance on par with X.0

yes - both the Attack and also the Plasma work with Shimano.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What about Nobu's shifters - even lighter and Shimano compatible.

mtbr member
    Ive heard those Nobu shifters work like crap though, these light Sram ones work just as well as the heavier ones.

i've got a set of new in box Sram Plasma shifters. I'll never use them though,ill only use Sram deraileurs. i just had to get them cuz they are so light,as nino mentioned.

im really bad with impulse buys, but at the time i thought of doing a super light setup with a Dura-ace deraileur.

im switching my x-0 trigger for a x-0 grip-shift after i got the frame powdercoated this winter.

mtbr member
    thanks for the pics nino. HoM you've got a pm.

there was another thread about the nobu shifters and how the foam just comes right off the plastic and the shifting is pretty crappy.

mtbr member
    The problem is: Where to het the plasma ones?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    beware of bad weather with these grips though!
    Yes! I'm using the attack ones and since some muddy sunday they get realy stuck... Sometimes seems like we need some hammer to shift in the rear...

I'm about to change the cables, now that I get some patience to do the job and I hope to solve the problem doing this...

Well, it was just to reinforce Nino's ideia!...

Cuánto pesa?
    Sram Rocket 9 Speed Grip Shifters for Shimano MTB Bike
    You can contact seller to find out if they have more in stock...

meow, meow.
    What's the difference between Attack and Rocket grip shifters? And why the Rocket are no longer made?

Cuánto pesa?
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho
    What's the difference between Attack and Rocket grip shifters? And why the Rocket are no longer made?
    In 2004/05 Sram discontinued the the Rocket GripShift..Why, I don't know..IMHO they
    were a better shifter than the Attack offering..Maybe someone with the knowlege will
    chime in..
    ~Jake

mtbr member
    what're the weights of the rocket?

Cuánto pesa?
    what're the weights of the rocket?
    Approx: 185g w/o cables..

Cuánto pesa?

mtbr member
    ahh, much heavier.

mtbr member
    i found a seller with some Sachs Quartz grippers if thats any good ? 120g the pair

banned

no!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    i found a seller with some Sachs Quartz grippers if thats any good ? 120g the pair
    no-no good!

keep clear of them. I still have a set collecting dust somewhere in a box in my basement....those are all plastic and do shift like that: like crap.

once again: the wires weigh 27g...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Ok.

Grip shift is alien to me - last time i rode it was some 8spd stuff. Come to think of it i think i was about 8 too !

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Ok.

Grip shift is alien to me - last time i rode it was some 8spd stuff. Come to think of it i think i was about 8 too !
    I felt the same years ago. The first gripshifters i triedd waaaay back were performing just like the Quartz - like $hit.

So it was Shimano STI all the way until i tried a bike of a friend of mine who had those Plasma shifters. Well - no turning back anymore. Those Plasma rock and save quite a bit of weight compared to other shifters while offering top-performance.

meow, meow.
    I converted to gripshifters because they don't get in the way when I crash. ) But it turned out that they work great, too - there's nothing to give up coming from triggers. They require some getting used to, and that's all.

mtbr member
    nino-

have you seen the sachs ritchey gripshifts? Are these just rebranded quartz shifters? I ended up picking up a set on fleabay that were 138gm with cables apparently. I hope these aren't crappy. I'm still waiting to see if I can get some plasma's from midas perhaps.

mtbr member
    nino, mine look a bit different then yours,just color though, and you said the cables are about 27g right?
    so 152g, or 1g lighter than yours! just kidding with you! haha never even rode.

mtbr member
    midas-

those are attack shifters, not the old plasmas. Not sure why the sticker on the box states as such. Perhaps these were replacements for the old plasmas?

mtbr member
    midas-

those are attack shifters, not the old plasmas. Not sure why the sticker on the box states as such. Perhaps these were replacements for the old plasmas?
    The attack means they work with Shimano pull rate,otherwise they are 1.1 for sram,i cant see any visual differance, other than graphics, from nino's.

Hmm, but even if they arnt plasma, they weigh 152g. We're regular, non-plasma shifters this light?

sounds like a question for NINO.

banned

just different colour...

Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    The attack means they work with Shimano pull rate,otherwise they are 1.1 for sram,i cant see any visual differance, other than graphics, from nino's.

Hmm, but even if they arnt plasma, they weigh 152g. We're regular, non-plasma shifters this light?

sounds like a question for NINO.
    These Attacks look identical to my Plasma. Just different colour.

By the way - just yesterday i was wrenching on 2 different bikes:
    One was a Scott Genius which had new XT Triggers, the other a no-Name Hartail with brandnew X.0. I didn't like either of them. The X.0 feels mushy compared to my old Plasma. The grip rubber itself is twisting before it would turn and there is a strange "sponge" feeling to it i can't really describe. On the Plamsa you simply turn and it shifts instantly. On the X.O it feels soft and mushy but sure shifts as well. It feels just like the shifting of an old japanese car versus an italian sportscar.

I don't like the ergonomics of the new-style STI at all (yet still worse are SRAM Triggers) . I rode a bike with XTR and now this XT...i reallly don't like them. the Grip shifters are more intuitive to me. As mentioned it used to be the other way round but i personally would still prefer the last generation STI which seemed to suit my hands better.

By the way - those looking to shave some weight:
    Don't forget that Grip-Shifters also need shorter grips! Grips are about 1/3rd shorter and therefore also 1/3rd lighter than on other shifter setups. mine for example are just 14g/pair.

mtbr member
    are the plasma 8 speed ? or both 8-9.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast