mtbr member

Spokes - titanium and Sapim CX-Ray

I'm planning on getting some new wheels built and besides the dazzling aray of rims and hubs I'm stumped with spokes.

Some friends have Ti spokes - are they lighter/stronger than Sapim CX-Ray? can anyone advise?

I'm considering using either DT240S or CK hubs and the flange diameter of these hubs will obviously affect spoke length and weight. Can anyone offer any advise/info??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    CX-Ray are one of the best, if not the best when it comes to resistance to fatigue. They are also aero and just as light as a DT Revolution / Sapim Laser (2.0-1.5-2.0).

I'm 160 lb and probably wouldn't consider a wheel with Ti spokes...

NoTubes.com
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eurorider
    CX-Ray are one of the best, if not the best when it comes to resistance to fatigue. They are also aero and just as light as a DT Revolution / Sapim Laser (2.0-1.5-2.0).

I'm 160 lb and probably wouldn't consider a wheel with Ti spokes...
    In my experience, CX-Ray spokes end up being higher on tension to get the same lateral stiffness as Revs. If the spokes were bladed the opposite direction then they would be stiffer laterally but not at all aero. CX-Rays are also heavier than Revs by a few grams so you don't gain anything there either. Ti spokes are similar in that higher tensions are required to get the same stiffness.

Others will have different opinions of course.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Had a Ti Wheelset

Had a set of Nukeproof Carbon Hubs with Ti spokes.

Made a nice light wheelset. It had 'em trued only about 3 times or so during the 3 plus years I rode 'em. And I'm about 200 pounds or so. Sold 'em off though when I went to disc brakes, and went back to stainless steel spokes.

When built right, a set of Ti wheels can hold up to XC riding without problems. The tension does have to be higher, and that can require a heavier rim to build right.

I knew another guy locally who had a set of Ti wheels and he lost tension in his wheels and ended up breaking a bunch of spokes at the bend.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
    I'm planning on getting some new wheels built and besides the dazzling aray of rims and hubs I'm stumped with spokes.

Some friends have Ti spokes - are they lighter/stronger than Sapim CX-Ray? can anyone advise?

I'm considering using either DT240S or CK hubs and the flange diameter of these hubs will obviously affect spoke length and weight. Can anyone offer any advise/info??
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike B.
    In my experience, CX-Ray spokes end up being higher on tension to get the same lateral stiffness as Revs. If the spokes were bladed the opposite direction then they would be stiffer laterally but not at all aero. CX-Rays are also heavier than Revs by a few grams so you don't gain anything there either. Ti spokes are similar in that higher tensions are required to get the same stiffness.

Others will have different opinions of course.
    Interesting, as you say, others have differing opinions. Most wheelbuilders I've spoken with say something nearly opposite, that CX rays give a stiffer wheel than Revos given the same tension.

Members who have read this thread: 0