mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Source for Ti Stem: 150mm & 10-deg Rise?

I just got fitted on my bike and the fitter said that I need an outrageously long stem, 150mm. I bought his Profile Design stem which also had a 10 degree rise and went for a 30 mile ride and felt much better than I have in years, so I believe him now. Anyway, the seat tube length on the frame is right, just the top tube is a bit short and I don't want to replace the frame.

As such, I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find a 150mm long titanium stem (measured center to center) with a 5 to 10 deg rise?

The only stems I have been able to find are a couple vintage stems on eBay (sent notes to sellers about the rise) and ti stems up to 130 mm long. Nothing longer, which makes me think no-one else makes them. So I figured I would ask here to see if there are additional options other than a couple S-Works Ti stems.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Good luck with that, sounds like you will need something custom. 150mm is crazy long!! How can you even ride with one that long??

You may be better off saving those pennies for a frame that fits you.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    David - You are right. I need a custom frame is what I need. I bought an old Litespeed Unicoi and the seatube was a proper length but the top tube of the older frames are much shorter than the current frame geometries. So I am going the long stem route. Maybe when I get tired of the Litespeed or need a frame that I can be more aggressive with I will go the custom route or try to get fitted on a newer frame. As it was, the next size larger frame for the same era of Litespeed Unicoi that I wanted was too tall for me. Such is the life of being a non-standard size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I believe Moots will make custom stems, be prepared to pay though...

ups and downs
    Black Sheep bikes does made to order Ti stems too - $300.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What kind of riding do you do? Steering will be pretty slow with that long of a stem. Is it not possible to size up a frame? Yes, you will be up a little higher, but geez... 150mm is long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Titanium is one of the worst materials for a stem. The old Specialized stems were very flexy even in short lengths. Why titanium? 150mm aluminum stems should be out there, much cheaper, stronger, more better....

mtbr member
    Wiggy, I have an excellent condition silver Ringle Zooka stem in 150mm I don't need anymore. IMO one of the best stems made in the 90's since they were light, stiff, and pretty. Just send me a pm and we can work out some kind of trade for some of the spare parts you have sitting around.

Plays with tools
    Seven does custom stems as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I looked up the Seven price for a custom stem and they quoted $495 for the stem. That was a bit out of my league.

@Hardguy - I appreciate your offer. That Ringle Zooka is a bit like the Profile stem I have, though it does really have a nice shape to it. I ended up buying a S-Works Ti stem with a 7-degree rise and moved my spacers around. Fortunately I didn't cut the steerer after the fitting so I had some room to work with. I will ride with this stem for a while and see if I like it. It weighed in at 151g after I replaced the steel bolts with Ti ones. It was 158 before so already a really light stem and it doesn't appear to be flexy, but I haven't reallly been able to get a good ride on the new stem.