Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Some advice please ! XTR Race pedals vs Eggbeater Ti

Guys, need some advice.

Right now I stand a day or two away from ordering my replacement pedals for a set of broken Candy Cs. Its either the XTR 2011 race pedals or a Eggbeater Ti/Candy 2Ti for me .

After reading the various websites which cover the 2011 XTR lineup, along with mtbr reviews of the older XTR pedals, the XTR Race PD-m980 seems to be a very reliable, stable(270% more platform than older design) and now mud-shedding pedal design .

The Candy/Eggbeaters on the other hand have recieved mixed reviews, but all are similar in promoting the need to rebuild them once in a while. Still, at the same prices of $250 I can probably get the Ti versions which weigh 50g lesser than the 2011 XTR .

I quite frequently bash into rocks, roll over rock gardens and mash pretty hard on my singlespeed .

Which pedals to get? Reliable, but 307g heavy XTR Race or finnicky, but superlightweight Crank brothers?

Oh yeah Ive read of Ti spindles for the XTR pedals. Are they still easily available?

OLD POST
    Just a few steps away from ordering a 2010 Candy 2Ti . Was debating between the Candys and the Bebop pedals when I finally had my mind set on the Candy due to various reasons

1. Rebuildable
    2. Experiences with Candys in the past ( Broke a Candy C before this )
    3. Aftermarket ti spindles

The 3rd point is where this topic comes in. Do all aftermarket TI spindles for the 2011 CB pedals fit the 2010 pedals? Will there ever be a point where I CANNOT find a Ti spindle upgrade for my Candy 2Tis 2010?

Thanks in advance, forumers
    Last edited by TheGenTwo; 12-11-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: New topic

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Where can i find (cheap) shoe plates for these pedals? (sorry for the hyjack)

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i don't know Candy...but 2010 anc backwards and 2011 EGG BEATER are differents.

2011 spindle is larger , spring too , sleeve too...

i have a 4Ti 2010 with extrashort Ti spindle from Ward Ind. and a pair of 2011 EGG 3 with normal lenght Ti spindle from Ward Ind.

very differents.

i think Candy grows up too ... but i have not checked , i'm just supposing it

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ward does currently offer a Ti spindle upgrade for the 2010 and older Candy pedal. I suspect they'll be available for a while (at least until he runs out of his special Ti supply).

The 2011 spindles are different.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenTwo
    Which pedals to get? Reliable, but 307g heavy XTR Race or finnicky, but superlightweight Crank brothers?
    XTR race by a mile. If you want lighter pedals that do not suck (but are a bit of a pain to setup with some shoes) - Look Quartz Carbon.

30-ton War Machine
    Why not custom pedals 520 bodies with XTR ti spindles, lighter than XTR and cheaper as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've had Crank bros before, and I won't ever get them again. Great if all you want is light weight, but poor if you want power transfer or reliability.

I've gone through Time (the newer ones wear both the cleats and the pedal body) and the most recent Look quartz (not bad, but the pedal wears fairly quickly and you clip out unexpectedly - plus they are often a real pain to get in to).

I'm about to get a set of XTR 980. I'm finally realising that for racing you have to value reliability and ease of use above any other aspect. The new design looks better for power transfer than the older version and seems to have less chance of the side parts wearing.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    @Edgerat

Im planning to get the XTR pedals AND the Ti spindle upgrade once I can afford it

@AlexRandall

Great to see that you have gone to Shimanos after trying out so many pedals! I think what you said, especially in the last paragraph makes a lot of sense . While reading the various reviews for the Eggbeater Ive often read of pedal breakage whilst in a critical point of a race .

Guys, what about the Speedplay Frogs? Are they worth considering? I do not have a painful knee syndrome .

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Where do you find the Ti spindles for Shimano pedals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ducmanducman
    Where do you find the Ti spindles for Shimano pedals?
    Actiontec

http://www.actiontec.us/bearings.htm

Chanced upon it in this thread(http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...ic.php?t=47318) while doing "pedal" homework over the weekends

No longer 26
    I love my Ti-spindled Times. The best entry / release that I have used.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't think anyone is making ti spindles for the xtr 980 race pedal yet. Hopefully soon though as I plan on getting a set in the not too distant future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph
    I don't think anyone is making ti spindles for the xtr 980 race pedal yet. Hopefully soon though as I plan on getting a set in the not too distant future.
    If I remember correctly, an issue with XTR spindles is that they are used with loose ball bearings, and titanium is not the best material for that application. Same reason they are so bulletproof.

Personally, I would not risk breaking a spindle when riding to save an ounce of weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    They have been made for the m970 pedals and I haven't heard any horror stories yet. I've broken numerous bmx pedals and cranks back in the day with no ill affects. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph
    They have been made for the m970 pedals and I haven't heard any horror stories yet. I've broken numerous bmx pedals and cranks back in the day with no ill affects. I wouldn't be too worried about it.
    I would. Breaking a pedal off when sticking a landing on BMX and when flying down hill over some baby-heads has different consequences.

I also have heard bad stories about Action-Tech XTR spindles. I skipped on those. Handlebars, stem, cranks and pedals, I have clear limits on strength compromise. But then I am around 200lb geared up and have the grace of a rolling bag of potatoes.

mtbr member
    The Ti spindles shouldnt be a problem for a 100lbs(Actually 99lbs) rider then...

The bike shops are open today and if nothing goes wrong I should go home with a new XTR pedal.. Cant wait to see what all the good feedback is all about .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I love my Ti-spindled Times. The best entry / release that I have used.

G
    Yup, I have a set of ATAC Cabons and Carbon Ti's from around 8 years ago, love them, won't ride anything else. They're dead simple, they work great, and I can't break them or wear them out. The Ti's are still on the original set of bearings and working great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenTwo
    The bike shops are open today and if nothing goes wrong I should go home with a new XTR pedal.. Cant wait to see what all the good feedback is all about .
    Do not forget to tighten up the adjustment screw on a new pedal, at least a little bit. When it is just barely engaged, it can fall off with a decent pedal strike. Not a problem when tension is set.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Indeed, stay away with titanium spindles for XTR, I have used the Actio Tec spindles and the broke the 4th ride. The balls eat there way into the titanium. I had to buy new pedals because I couldn't get the part of the axle out of the pedal. I would buy XTR980 pedals too. This is by far the most reliable and good option. I never liked the eggbeaters I tried. I never felt secure in these pedals. Exustar is also not reliable. Ritchey not reliable. I also have considered the new BBB pedals. They got a very good review in a Belgian magazine. They called Mountainhigh and are claimed 249gram. Maybe I will try these in the future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    +1 Time ATAC carbon titanium

official eMpTyBRain
    If you are a thrasher, bashing into rocks, go for the XTR pedal. You'll break the wings off the Eggbeater otherwise.

I like the float of the Eggbeater vs. the platform of the XTR. I've got Eggbeater 2ti's on my ride.

Also, again, if you are bashing into rocks, I'd forget about ti spindles. You'll eventually end up snapping them off!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    If you are a thrasher, bashing into rocks, go for the XTR pedal. You'll break the wings off the Eggbeater otherwise.

I like the float of the Eggbeater vs. the platform of the XTR. I've got Eggbeater 2ti's on my ride.

Also, again, if you are bashing into rocks, I'd forget about ti spindles. You'll eventually end up snapping them off!
    i bash rocks all the time. ran 4Ti eggbeaters (same pair) for the last two years. no issues. i am not a heavy weight at 155lbs, but i also ride like a sack of potatoes at VERY high speed and regularly throw down over 1kW sprints.
    My wife's website....
    Allison Mann

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I always hated SPD's when I had them on my mountain bike (lower end ones). I liked my Frog's a lot better, love the float and weight.

A few weeks ago I got some of the new m980 XTR race pedals, and they are awesome! I didn't think the extra platform would be noticeable, but it really is. I'll probably end up taking the 100g weight penalty and switching my mountain bike from my titanium speedplays to the new XTR's.

mtbr member
    I just got my XTR pedals. Here are some pics:

Hahaha, just kidding havent taken any pics yet. But I went for a fast ride today and had a blast with my new pedals. The difference in platform between the Races and the Candys is there, but not very significant. The major difference lies in the bearings ! The XTR bearings feel luxurious as compared to bushings used in the Candys .

Had one pedal strike today on a small rock section though. I realise most of the scruff marks from today's riding can be seen on the silver platforms of the pedals. Any way to buffer these up like after a year or so of use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'd like to add that the new Eggbeaters have a real bearing, needle, in place of the bushing. They feel much smoother then the old bushing style.

One thing that I that has given Eggbeaters a bad rap is the lower end cheapo steel ones that come on some bikes really do suck and I'm sure the wings are weak. Have to step up to the higher quality steel or ti if you are actually going to do any serious riding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast