Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    So I went Ti... how high am I?

    I traded in my M7s for Wellgo MG18 Tis today. I know the folks at Supergo... their advice should be taken with a grain of salt. But there was no published weight limit on these, and the guy said he was running Double Ti Eggbeaters with no issues for a while, and he weighs 210#. I weigh 195# and ride mostly XC, somtimes techinical stuff (but not at speed), on a FS bike, and I tend to ride lightly, so I figure that I'm on the light side of the 195# set. I don't huck or drop or anything like that. The worst thing I do is small rock gardens, sometimes at a bit of speed... but not too much.

    So the question is:

    Am I high for running Ti spindles?

    Like I said, in my favor:

    I ride lightly
    No weight limit warnings on the packaging, instructions, Wellgo's website, or Supergo employees.

    Against me:

    Ti spindles in general have a reputation of limited rider load... typically 175#.

  2. #2
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,697
    The egg beater Twin Ti pedals don't have a weight limit on them. They actually do not have a Ti spindle.
    Your thinking of the Triple Ti's with the Ti spindle.

    Other then that, I can't really help you, I guess you can always take your chances.
    How much did these pedals weigh? Are you willing to try out some SS Egg beaters instead?

  3. #3
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    The egg beater Twin Ti pedals don't have a weight limit on them. They actually do not have a Ti spindle.
    Your thinking of the Triple Ti's with the Ti spindle.

    Other then that, I can't really help you, I guess you can always take your chances.
    How much did these pedals weigh? Are you willing to try out some SS Egg beaters instead?
    Um, the 2x ti eggs do have a ti spindle...
    Herro prease

  4. #4
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Um, the 2x ti eggs do have a ti spindle...
    Nope they have a forged 420 stainless steel spindle. Just checked to make sure
    The Twins have the Ti body and wings.

  5. #5
    Just passing through....
    Reputation: DaFireMedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I traded in my M7s for Wellgo MG18 Tis today. I know the folks at Supergo... their advice should be taken with a grain of salt. But there was no published weight limit on these, and the guy said he was running Double Ti Eggbeaters with no issues for a while, and he weighs 210#. I weigh 195# and ride mostly XC, somtimes techinical stuff (but not at speed), on a FS bike, and I tend to ride lightly, so I figure that I'm on the light side of the 195# set. I don't huck or drop or anything like that. The worst thing I do is small rock gardens, sometimes at a bit of speed... but not too much.

    So the question is:

    Am I high for running Ti spindles?

    Like I said, in my favor:

    I ride lightly
    No weight limit warnings on the packaging, instructions, Wellgo's website, or Supergo employees.

    Against me:

    Ti spindles in general have a reputation of limited rider load... typically 175#.
    The Triple Ti's have a weight limit of 185 lbs. The X-Pedo Ti/Ti pedals are made by Wellgo (I'm told that X-pedo is their high end line) and have a 175 lbs limit (according to Speedgoats ad). I don't know that you are high, but you might be pushing the limits of those pedals. As you know, Ti is not as strong as hardened steel. But I doubt that you will have a problem. I don't know if they have the same spindles and besides, they have to build some lee way into their weight limits. I know a gentleman using Triple Tis who is 200 lbs and rides light XC with no problems (yet). I weigh 185 (more than that with Camelback, etc) and haven't had any problems in the year I've been using the Triple Tis, and that includes an unplanned 2 1/2 foot drop onto a rock garden at speed. I am not advocating exceeding weight limits, but I don't think that you'll have a problem if indeed there is a 175 lbs limit.

    Also, The Twin Tis have a steel spindle.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 08-20-2004 at 08:05 PM.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    118
    Umm, just my opinion but, I would not want to risk strength in any parts to support my weight. That would include pedals, cranks, BB, stem, handlebars and seatpost. I would not want to worry about what might happen after landing a larger than usual drop or standing to hammer up the next hill.

    Weight limits are there for a reason. Although they usually have some safety margin, can you imagine what might happen if you're cranking up that monster incline and the spindle snaps? OUCH!!!

  7. #7
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,692
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Nope they have a forged 420 stainless steel spindle. Just checked to make sure
    The Twins have the Ti body and wings.
    Yep - Thats right. No Ti spindles on the 2x ti.
    Trev!

  8. #8
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702

    You got a point...

    Quote Originally Posted by CharT
    Umm, just my opinion but, I would not want to risk strength in any parts to support my weight. That would include pedals, cranks, BB, stem, handlebars and seatpost. I would not want to worry about what might happen after landing a larger than usual drop or standing to hammer up the next hill.

    Weight limits are there for a reason. Although they usually have some safety margin, can you imagine what might happen if you're cranking up that monster incline and the spindle snaps? OUCH!!!
    and I hate it when people ask for advice, and then argue your points back to you... but I'm going to do it anyway.

    I wonder if it's okay anyway, because there were no weight limits set in the instructions, packaging, on the Supergo website, or the Wellgo website. I would think if they were concerned, they would have said something. I'm sure they don't like product liability suits.

    OTOH, as Aosty always tells me, 'do you really want to risk it to shave a few grams?' He especially freaked out when I told him I was thinking of trying alu bolts on my stem/bar clamp. Okay, that was a lame idea, although it is a 4 bolt stem and a carbon flat bar that does not need to be that tight.

    I think I'm going with it, and I appreciate all the input.

    BTW, these things feel stupid light. Advertized weight is 245 grams a set, vs. the CroMo version comes in at 305 grams.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-21-2004 at 12:00 AM.

  9. #9
    6x7=Dont Panic!
    Reputation: TheRedMantra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Nope they have a forged 420 stainless steel spindle. Just checked to make sure
    The Twins have the Ti body and wings.
    Oops, sorry about that. I went to their site and clicked on the 3ti instead of the 2ti. My bad...
    Herro prease

Similar Threads

  1. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  2. Anyone use Ti bars?
    By tmaybee in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 02:25 AM
  3. Finally, my new Ti Racer-X is on it's way...
    By 1speed_Mike in forum Titus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 06:10 AM
  4. Bolts, am I high?
    By pimpbot in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 11:00 AM
  5. Ti brake studs on a Ti frame?
    By tmaybee in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 05:20 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •