mtbr member
    Nov 2009

slx 2x10 to replace xtr 2x10 race

bought myself a used highball and love the bike but the xtr2x10 race with the 28x40 chainrings is just to much for my little legs to handle. I can only go down to a 27 for the granny and I need at least a 26. I currently ride a bike with a 26 and it is pretty much my limit. so I think the slx 2x10 with the 24-38 is my solution.

I have heard that the slx, xt and xtr cranks arms are all very close to each other in weight, within 10 grams or so. is this actually correct?

so does that mean the only real difference is the chain rings? is the xt or xtr bb any lighter than the slx model?

is there any reason why my idea is a particularly bad one? I know I am down grading but I don't really see any other options with my current xtr crankset.

two unrelated weight questions but this part of the forums I find to be a pretty smart group of people. how do I know if the slx crankset's chainline will work with my frame? and how do I know if my front derailler will be able to do the shifting work. I know some are used to shift from 28-40 while sometimes there are others that do the 24-38 work. I find the shimano website to be pretty much useless with info and tons of dead links. plus half the websites do weight with bb and without and some of them don't mention if it is included or not.... all very confusing for the weight conscious person.

thanks,
    adam

mtbr member
    Why not just replace the chainrings instead of the whole crankset? Might be cheaper and considerably easier.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I wish it was that easy. The xtr race spider only allows the smallest ring to be 27. The trail version can go lower from what I have been reading but not the race.

Grams Light Bikes
    SLX 24/38 745 grams vs XTR 26/38 670 grams

mtbr member
    Ah, right right. I'd forgotten that the Race and Trail versions used different spiders.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    SLX 24/38 745 grams vs XTR 26/38 670 grams
    are those both without bb's?

I was looking around and found that the xt cranksets on chainreactioncycles.com are only 30 bucks more than the slx model. I thought the black looked pretty cool but am afraid that after 2 rides my shoes will rub all the paint off. anybody have any first hand experience with the black xt cranks?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    can you get a replacement spider? Keep your current cranks/BB

official eMpTyBRain
    Can you go to a cassette with lower gearing instead?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Thumper
    You can get lower gears switching a few cogs on your Shimano cassette too with a General Lee kits: 29-35-42 t and 28-33-40 t.

Might give you a little too low a gear but you can run larger rings up front or even drop to one ring up front for weight savings but that might be counter productive to your goal of lowering your ratio.

Edit link:
    Bike-Discount | Der Bike-Shop mit Bestprice Garantie!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    are those both without bb's?

I was looking around and found that the xt cranksets on chainreactioncycles.com are only 30 bucks more than the slx model. I thought the black looked pretty cool but am afraid that after 2 rides my shoes will rub all the paint off. anybody have any first hand experience with the black xt cranks?
    I've had black XT cranks almost 2 years now and ride a few days a week - no problems with the paint rubbing off from shoes. Very durable finish.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ended up with an xt crank I weighed some of the stuff while I was doing it
    Seems like the chainring side of the crank arms is where most of the weight is saved with the special design they use. Sorry didn't have the motivation to weigh chai rings and arms alone.

slx 2x10 to replace xtr 2x10 race-image.jpg