Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

SLR vs SLR XC Gel Flow vs SLR Carbonio

I recently had an SLR Trans Am gel flow saddle but destroyed it! I am currently using a Selle Italia C2, but have not found it as comfortable (or light!) and therefore am looking at the other SLR's available.

The Carbonio looks awesome but it also looks delicate and perhaps more like a road saddle. The SLR XC looks more practical with its kevlar corners etc......

I cannot find any information on these saddles on mtbr, as the reviews are only covering the SLR in general.....

Has anyone had any good luck (or bad) with either the Carbonio or XC Gel Flow??

Thanks

Don't touch me!
    I'd go with the XC. My SLR Carbonio came in a bit overweight and the leather is pretty thin. An average trail crash is all it will take to tear up the leather. I'm thinking about coating the edges of my saddle with something, just in case.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SLRs

Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    I recently had an SLR Trans Am gel flow saddle but destroyed it! I am currently using a Selle Italia C2, but have not found it as comfortable (or light!) and therefore am looking at the other SLR's available.

The Carbonio looks awesome but it also looks delicate and perhaps more like a road saddle. The SLR XC looks more practical with its kevlar corners etc......

I cannot find any information on these saddles on mtbr, as the reviews are only covering the SLR in general.....

Has anyone had any good luck (or bad) with either the Carbonio or XC Gel Flow??

Thanks
    I wrote Selle Italia a few years back asking if they were going to make a kevlar covered SLR. They said "No. Kevlar weighs too much". ?!?!? Never seen an XC but sound like a good idea. I chew the corners off my SLRs pretty fast. I don't care for gel saddles and the SLRs are pretty flexy and comfortable (my opinion...others think they are uncomfortable which allows me to buy them for cheap off e-bay).
    I ride a straight up (snake print) SLR on my Titus HCR and have no problems except corner damage.
    I ride a naked carbon SLR with Ti rails on my Truth. It has help up well. This saddle is a short grabber. The edges are "sharp" so if you like to hang off the back or move way forward it probably isn't the best choice.
    I'm pretty sure the carbonio has carbon rails and isn't recommended for mtb use but I've seen them on the trails but haven't ridden one.
    Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Nashbar has the xc gel flow...

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=14558&brand=

Looks comfortable and also looks good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    San Marco Era carbon.... the most comfortable I've ever ridden!! and 128g

Trail rider and racer
    Just get the standard run of the mil SLR. Its perfect.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Just get the standard run of the mil SLR. Its perfect.
    Go with a Flite TT, it has a suede cover and keeps your ass planted.

Dan Mitchell

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    SLR XP.

Awesome.

mtbr member
    I couldn't say it any better than Trevor.

The Standared is the best!
    Peace
    JF2 Racing!

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl
    Go with a Flite TT, it has a suede cover and keeps your ass planted.

Dan Mitchell
    Oh I hated the flite the most. Too wide for me!
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Oh I hated the flite the most. Too wide for me!
    That's what I have found with the C2... I believe it is basically from the same mould as the Flite?

mtbr member

slr with cut out

I have the 185g slr with the cut out and love it. It has just the right amount of flex in the middle to take some sting out. I have a regular flite on my ss and this is a lot more comfortable. That is my $ .02

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have had both the 135gr SLR and 165gr SLR XP. A friend of mine just bought the SLR XC with the cut out and I got to try it. All I can say to you is that it will be my next saddle. It is considerably more comfortable than my SLRs without virtually any weight penalty.
    The 135gr SLR broke one of its Ti rails (I ride XC and weigh 74-78 Kg depending on the season), the XP is holding out OK so far.
    We also weighted the XC at 173gr when the 135gr was more like 140gr and the XP exactly 165gr.

Chrome Toaster
    I ordered the SLR XC to replace my worn out SLR Transam gelflow. Still haven't recieved it though. Seems like its the perfect replacement with the kevlar reinforcement. Its claimed weight is also a bit lighter at 175g. The gelfow seems to have claimed weights ranging from 185g to 215g.

mtbr member
    oh... it came in at 184g on the digital scales....not too bad

mtbr member

Bought the XC

Well guys, I just bought my SLR XC Gel Flow!! I live in Australia and will be riding my bike to work in about half an hour. I also plan on going for a ride through some single track after work.... will let you know what I think. Thanks for everyones advice!

TranceX Rider
    SLR user here as well... For more than two years, my saddle's been still receiving raves from me! Quite light but comfy as well. It's what I'm after for: strive to seek the happy median b/w light weight, performance, and comfort.

And for now I'm thinking of replacing my SLR for something lighter (not so light though) but it has the cut out that I was looking for a long time. The SLR Kit Carbonio Flow weighing @120grams w/ carbon rails... Safe to use for MTB. Besides, I'm no Clydesdale here...

sustained crash test loads of 250kg and are even suitable for mountain bike use
    Selle Italia claims the rails on new SLR Kit Carbonio Flow are the strongest carbon rails ever produced, thanks to a new moulding process that allows "reinforced long fiber carbon" to be injected into them. According to Selle Italia, these new rails “have sustained crash test loads of 250kg and are even suitable for mountain bike use”. Selle Italia's SLR Kit Carbonio Flow has a Lorica synthetic leather cover over a lightweight EVA closed-cell foam padding and a Rylsan nylon shell reinforced with carbon fiber.
    Let's see if it's just a marketing scheme... Oh, well... What a better way to find out. Be a guinea pig here.. LoL!

Be safe, everyone!

... well aside from that 07 Selle Italia saddle, what tops my list for now is that Becker Carbon MTB...

Oo0oh, my... Am off to... find a better bargain Ciao!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    I recently bought an SLR saddle, but I went for the Ti rails. The carbon is significantly more expensive, and I couldn't justfiy the extra dosh to save 10gr especially when it means I'd be worrying about the rails getting damaged.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I ride both SLR XC and SLR Carbonio Flow

the new carbonoi flows made since sept 06 per selle italia are not kit carbonio's ( carbon over vanox) but solid carbon rails. My SLR XC weighs 180 grams and the SLR Carbonio Flow is 130 grams ( soild carbon rails ) and so far ( Less than 100 miles) is the most comfortable saddle for me in the SLR line, I rode a flite the last and I do mean last, was the TT @ 167 grams = one bad saddle sore !

I can't say that the carbonio flow will hold you to daily MTB but it's mounted on a thomson master piece set back shortened w/ ti bolts for a saddle/ post combo of 298 gram race day set up !

the Carbonio came with a very detail set of pic/diagrams listing the mm of rail support it requires and my tune post clamp style had a BIG X throught it ! so therefore the thomson
    post with set back let's me keep the rails clamp in the very middle per selle italia's recommendations ! Good Luck I also would like to get a XC flow vs my XC for daily use !

TranceX Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Onie
    sustained crash test loads of 250kg and are even suitable for mountain bike use

Let's see if it's just a marketing scheme... Oh, well... What a better way to find out. Be a guinea pig here.. LoL!

Be safe, everyone!
    Here's what I've cashed in for... 07 Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow... Since can't still find a better deal for the Becker/ Tune Concorde... Or not even the FRM Blackhole... Oo0h, da*n! Twice as heavy as my gram go0n dream saddle... Huhuhuh!

Anyhow, I might be happier than I thought with this one since it has the cut-out that I'm lo0king for.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle
    I can't say that the carbonio flow will hold you to daily MTB but it's mounted on a thomson master piece set back shortened w/ ti bolts for a saddle/ post combo of 298 gram race day set up !

the Carbonio came with a very detail set of pic/diagrams listing the mm of rail support it requires and my tune post clamp style had a BIG X throught it ! so therefore the thomson
    post with set back let's me keep the rails clamp in the very middle per selle italia's recommendations ! Good Luck I also would like to get a XC flow vs my XC for daily use !
    Let's put up some visuals here. Just for the benefit of others particularly the visual learners like me Took the liberty of procuring a scanned image of my SI's manual...

...as well as a snapshot of my new baby.

Just sharing. Thanks so much, everyone.

Ride insp¹®ed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcatienza
    There was no need to scare potential buyers and burn bridges "buddy"
    Tell me now, what's Product testing all bout then?

mtbr member
    Please take that bag off and put the stuff in your camelbak or jersey pockets!

w00t
    Slr Xp!

aka Jesse Palmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Batas
    Please take that bag off and put the stuff in your camelbak or jersey pockets!
    You are digging up old threads to complain about someone's saddle bag, which is completely off topic anyway???

go chase the sunset
    Um, hello two years ago?

Anyway, it's Onie who did it.

mtbr member
    Been on SLR's since! Can't believe i even rode those other wide bricks 2 years ago!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast