Thread: Sid?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sid?

What is the next light XC fork that not as flexy as the SID?
    I'm Using a Marz MX comp and wanna upgrade to something light but not flexy.

04 MX Comp with ETA weight about 1950gram
    05 SID race about 1300gram.

My LBS recommend me getting the reba or the 04 float RLC.

What you guy think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I tried all the forks mentioned in your post. The guy at the LBS mentioned two forks which are in a completely different category than the SID. The SID has max 80 mm travel, the Float 100, the Reba 115. Weightwise, the Reba Team was 1710 gr with an uncut steerer, the Float 1680 gr while the SID - depending on the modell - is much-much less. Also the Reba has no V-brake bosses, while all others mentioned do. So it makes little sense to compare them...

I weigh 160 lbs (73 kgs) and a SID is a laugh even with V-brakes. With discs (which by the way voids the guarantee) for me its completely useless. National champion CC racer told me that he hates it so-so much, but he has to use it due to his sponsorship. (On his own bike he has Manitou Black!) If you are as good as him in bike control (eg. make it to the olympics), weight less than 65 kgs or like little control over your bike, then the SID may be fine...

A good alternative for the SID category is the new '05 Fox F80RLT. 1520 gr (uncut steerer), stiff enough for me with V-brake (haven't tried it with disc), good, precise movement. It rides a little better than the Reba at the 85 mm setting and is much lighter. My friend has the new Marzocchi Race which is a little heavier than the Fox (my friend too) and he said he is satisfied and prefers it to both the Manitou Skareb and the SID he had before.

I hope this helps...

-b

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by opticals

What you guy think?
    I have ridden many forks to include those mentioned. The SID is truly a girly-man fork in terms of its stiffness and should be reserved for Superlight Juliana builds.

I have never been that taken by FOX forks, including 05 stuff which is improved. F80RLTs are the only one I would consider in their lineup but many, many people will disagree....this is simply my subjective opinion. Talas was very unimpressive with the 05 being a tad better but still not that great.....my Float 100RLC was just simply "o.k.". The F80RLT are pretty good but may be difficult to obtain appropriate ride quality vs. travel (same true with my Float). By this I mean if you tune it to enable the fork to get full travel, it becomes too soft....many others have this experience.

I simply prefer the feel of Marzocchis by a landslide. I love both the 05 Marz All Mountain fork (best fork I ever had) and I love my 05 Marz Marathon Race. The Race weight virtually the same as the fox and due to measurement error etc, is likely lighter. Mine came in at 1540grams which is either lighter or basically the same as other measurements posted for the F80RLT....but who cares about such a trivial weight difference. I would stick with Fox or Marz. Having said that, the price is so much better in the US for the Rockshox so I admit it is tempting. Only a true weight weenie will consider the Reba heavy. I think the weight is just fine.

Cheers

banned
    Apr 2004

I think we all feel your pain

What you guy think?
    I'm 180 lbs and would say a good aggresive XC trail rider with a fitness level of about mid pack of sport. I have a 2001 rebuilt Sid Race that although flexy was easy to get use to, being my down hill skills far outweigh my climbing prowess the non mushy Sid was real nice on the climbs.
    Right now I'm runnung my 2004 RLT 80 on the front which I understand weighs a little more than my SID, the RLT is a great fork but real mushy on the uphills even with the lock out maxed and on (it doesn't stay locked out all or most of the way)

So which do I like better? The RLT 80.
    Which will be on the front of my HT when I'm racing? The Sid.

Maybe some day someone will make an 80mm fork that is as stiff and plush as an RLT and as light and non bobbing on the climbs as a Sid (with out the need of a manual lock out knob)
    Until then I'm sticking with my offseason RLT and my race day Sid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A Pace Rc39 Xc

It weighs 1395 g with remote, have 100 mm travel and much stiffer than SID.

What you guy think?

inner peace to make peace

got dough? get '05 "Zoke Marathon Race

I'm in the same "boat"
    got dough? get '05 "Zoke Marathon Race, about $700, & 3.1#s or 1400 grams
    the other two forks I'm considering for the same xc race...yes don't laugh... bike: 130mm AM1 ETA or the Z1-ETA.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    I'm 180 lbs and would say a good aggresive XC trail rider with a fitness level of about mid pack of sport. I have a 2001 rebuilt Sid Race that although flexy was easy to get use to, being my down hill skills far outweigh my climbing prowess the non mushy Sid was real nice on the climbs.
    Right now I'm runnung my 2004 RLT 80 on the front which I understand weighs a little more than my SID, the RLT is a great fork but real mushy on the uphills even with the lock out maxed and on (it doesn't stay locked out all or most of the way)

So which do I like better? The RLT 80.
    Which will be on the front of my HT when I'm racing? The Sid.

Maybe some day someone will make an 80mm fork that is as stiff and plush as an RLT and as light and non bobbing on the climbs as a Sid (with out the need of a manual lock out knob)
    Until then I'm sticking with my offseason RLT and my race day Sid.
    Have you considered PUSHing the RLT? They should be able to get the damping set up for you...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    I'm in the same "boat"
    got dough? get '05 "Zoke Marathon Race, about $700, & 3.1#s or 1400 grams
    the other two forks I'm considering for the same xc race...yes don't laugh... bike: 130mm AM1 ETA or the Z1-ETA.
    actual real weight, with uncut steerer, is 1540 grams

Chrome Toaster
    The next lightest fork is the Skareb. The Elite is rated at something like 3.1lbs but its fuild flow damping is pretty lousy. The Super model is very nice with TPC damping but will weight a bit more. Even though its still got 28.6mm stanctions its much better designed. Its got more bushing overlap, deeper crown skirts and the reverse arch actually makes it one of the best designs in resisting twisting stresses.

inner peace to make peace

got it: 1540 grams/3.4#

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    actual real weight, with uncut steerer, is 1540 grams
    3.4#s...OK, thanks.

that's real sly..unethical....perhaps... of 'Zoke..to not account for the steer tube weight...perhaps I should pay more attention to Fox's...
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

banned
    Apr 2004

Will PUSHing the RLT eliminate

Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Have you considered PUSHing the RLT? They should be able to get the damping set up for you...
    the need for the lock out knob?
    I hate lock out knobs because by the time I remember to switch it back "on" I'm usually already committed to a nasty downhill section.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    3.4#s...OK, thanks.

that's real sly..unethical....perhaps... of 'Zoke..to not account for the steer tube weight...perhaps I should pay more attention to Fox's...
    They do account for it, some people just can't read the fact that they list the steerers seperately.

The fact that Marzocchi has been pretty spot-on for their weights for the last few years definitely says something....
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I hate lock out knobs because by the time I remember to switch it back "on" I'm usually already committed to a nasty downhill section.

I hate to ask, but have you ever left for a ride and forgotten your wheel or bike?
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Feeding your addiction
    the need for the lock out knob?
    On a Push'ed RLT they do away with the "lockout". They still use the lever as an on/off switch for the platform though. The threshold knob on the bottom controls the amount of platform when the lever is in the on position.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

banned
    Apr 2004

Once or twice

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    I hate to ask, but have you ever left for a ride and forgotten your wheel or bike?
    if it where baseball I'd be batting 999.