SUBLIM8er

Should I buy them........

I'm running out of time waiting for the Extralite Ultrabrakes to come out. I'm taking a trip to MO to ride the Berryman trail in four weeks and I need some brakes. My backup for the Ultrabrake is the Mrazek. People who have this brake seem reasonably happy with it and it should be compatible with my Extralite Ultralevers that have kinda low cable pull due to the Mrazek's 100mm length. This is why I'm wary of the Vueltas due to the long length (I also don't care for the Vuelta's looks.) If anyone has info. on the Ultrabrake's availability this week I'd love to know otherwise, I gotta get some brakes.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you're going for the Ultrabrakes anyway, just get something cheap off ebay in the meantime and upgrade later.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by chris m
    If you're going for the Ultrabrakes anyway, just get something cheap off ebay in the meantime and upgrade later.
    I know, that's probably the safe move.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Recovering couch patato
    Indeed, buy Deore's and see if later you can still live without them to save 150g for $400.

Deore V's are about the hardest parts to weight-upgrade on. Mine were 192g per end when mated to simple cartridge pads. My super-expensive Vuelta's with alu kit are 121g per end. Don't ask for the gramprice on that upgrade please...

SUBLIM8er
    OK, I get the message. But still, you know those brakes are gonna be the sh** if they ever come out. I'm a very sick man, I know. I'm not normal. Other people spend their money on nice oriental rugs and plasma screen televisions and I'm drooling over a set of V-brakes. Serenity now, serenity now.........
    William S. Burroughs

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

Just go Disc!

The brakes on the "final stage of proccessing" fro m2 months!
    The brakes are 13 months behind schedule .

Just go Disc brakes, suck up the weight and be happier!!
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    The brakes on the "final stage of proccessing" fro m2 months!
    The brakes are 13 months behind schedule .

Just go Disc brakes, suck up the weight and be happier!!
    I'm anti-disc. Anyway, my frame is V-specific. The last report I heard was that they were done with the production run and getting anodized....bwahahaha! Those Italians have no work ethic
    William S. Burroughs

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

What! Your nuts....

Just kidding...
    Business is waay different than the US as I have learened over the years.
    Just don't hld your breath! I was told that the first orders were shipping Feb 2nd
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Recovering couch patato
    Those brake may turn out nice and pretty light, but BETTER than the most respected current brakes (Avid Supremes)?
    I'm glad I've mostly overcome that desease. when I had it, I bought Zipp Tubular wheels. when recovering, 4 Soul-Kozak hubs and those Vuelta's. It couldhave been worse. Being broke for a long time gets me to understand better about what's worth investing in. I now only have planned investments that make a difference. See how many nice tires you can but for the amount of those brakes. I'm both a tire junkie and a tire scrooch at the same time. With $400 I'd definately find a lot of tires to satisfy my fetish. Oh mommy, $400 in tires...
    what are the brakes really going to cost? Tell me it's not more than $400...

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Those brake may turn out nice and pretty light, but BETTER than the most respected current brakes (Avid Supremes)?
    I'm glad I've mostly overcome that desease. when I had it, I bought Zipp Tubular wheels. when recovering, 4 Soul-Kozak hubs and those Vuelta's. It couldhave been worse. Being broke for a long time gets me to understand better about what's worth investing in. I now only have planned investments that make a difference. See how many nice tires you can but for the amount of those brakes. I'm both a tire junkie and a tire scrooch at the same time. With $400 I'd definately find a lot of tires to satisfy my fetish. Oh mommy, $400 in tires...
    what are the brakes really going to cost? Tell me it's not more than $400...
    It's not more then $400.00 But not much less either The money really isn't the issue, though. Anyway, I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired with Extralite. I just sent out an Email to find out about getting the Mrazeks. My build with those brakes will put me under 18lbs for my SS steel 29er. Pics to follow soon.
    William S. Burroughs

Woz
    mtbr member
    Here's a set of the Mrazek Magnesium brakes, I tuned these to 58grams. And they work really nice.

http://www.fairwheelbikes.com/galler...b/P2030034.JPG

SUBLIM8er

Ultrabrake Saga/Debacle update..If you care

All fabrication is completed and ONLY three more weeks before delivery in order for them to assemble. 169us per end.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz
    Here's a set of the Mrazek Magnesium brakes, I tuned these to 58grams. And they work really nice.

where do you get these?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Williwoods
    where do you get these?

http://www.mrazek.com/

They're also available in Magnesium and in some anodized colors.

SUBLIM8er

Mrazek didn't respond to my email re: my interest in purchasing the brake. What's up with that? Do you have a phone # for them?
    William S. Burroughs

SUBLIM8er
    Mrazek called me. They didn't get through the Spam block I have at work on the computer so the emails weren't getting through. So, I'm going with a new set of the Mag Mrazek's after talking with him. Sorry, Extralite and Jakeplasma. I just couldn't wait any longer.
    William S. Burroughs

Maromero

What kind of tuning to lose 21 gr over the stock ones?
    what's the weight including the pads?
    Seems interesting.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje
    What kind of tuning to lose 21 gr over the stock ones?
    what's the weight including the pads?
    Seems interesting.
    I talked to Mrazek about the tuning they did.......get out your drill. They got em down to 58grams I think he said. There is no way I'm taking my primitive hand drill skilz to these brakes!
    William S. Burroughs

Maromero
    Your illness is contagious, I ordered them this weekend, a friend is going to bring them down here in 10 days.

SUBLIM8er
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje
    Your illness is contagious, I ordered them this weekend, a friend is going to bring them down here in 10 days.
    Welcome to the club. I like the way Fairwheel bolt tuned their brakes. I think the stop for the top of the tension spring on the stock Mrazek brake is a basic phillips head screw. The anodized blue stop they have in the Fairwheel pic looks much better. Gotta research that.
    William S. Burroughs

Members who have read this thread: 0