Thread: short stems

Upgrade-itis
    Nov 2004

short stems

I currently have a 75mm stem on my bike. If I go up to a 90mm, will that make a big difference in the feel? I like my cockpit right now; I'm not leaning over too far, steering is responsive (as far as I can tell), and I'm just worried about making the bike feel twitchier. Does anyone have any experience going to a longer stem like this? It doesn't sound like much, 15mm, but it is 20% longer than before which when put that way seems like a lot. Will I even notice?

I was looking at a Syntace f99 75mm as my replacement, or a 90mm Ritchey WCS

jonny_mac

a longer stem

wont make it twitchier, it will slow the steering down. for xc use a 75mm
    seems short, maybe your frame is too big.

Upgrade-itis
    Nov 2004

duhh...

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_mac
    wont make it twitchier, it will slow the steering down. for xc use a 75mm
    seems short, maybe your frame is too big.
    That makes sense about it getting slower, that's right.

I am 5' 7", 145+ lbs and I ride a 15.5" Fisher HT, I don't think my frame is too big. Any further suggestions, so should I be fine with a 90mm stem? My steering is nice right now, the only reason I would not go with a 75mm stem is I'm worried of pairing a syntace f99 with monkeylite sl bars, it just doesn't seem that safe. Admittedly, it's completely based on psychological factors and not any really evidence of stem/handlebar strength, etc. If I like my setup, should I just go for the 75mm Syntace versus a 90 mm WCS? Is there any arguments against short stems that I should know about?

thanks in advance,

kuk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Assuming your current stem/new bar clam size are the same (25.4 or 31.8) then why don't you just get the bars, whack 'em on and have a ride with it. Then if it doesn't feel right, try for the 90mm.

Your stem is short because it's a Fisher bike, which has 'genesis' geometry. Basically the theory is that for a given reach length (to the handlebar) it is better to have a longer top tube with a shorter stem. e.g. reach length is 100mm (completely arbitrary number): 'genesis' geometry would be 70mm top tube, 30mm stem: 'normal' geometry 60mm top tube, 40mm stem

That way it supposedly puts more weight over the back wheel, and has sharper steering due to the shorter stem.

Hope that helps

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by kukusz
    That makes sense about it getting slower, that's right.

I am 5' 7", 145+ lbs and I ride a 15.5" Fisher HT, I don't think my frame is too big. Any further suggestions, so should I be fine with a 90mm stem? My steering is nice right now, the only reason I would not go with a 75mm stem is I'm worried of pairing a syntace f99 with monkeylite sl bars, it just doesn't seem that safe. Admittedly, it's completely based on psychological factors and not any really evidence of stem/handlebar strength, etc. If I like my setup, should I just go for the 75mm Syntace versus a 90 mm WCS? Is there any arguments against short stems that I should know about?

thanks in advance,

kuk
    I'm 200 pounds, put a Syntace F-99 at 130mm on with a bar & barend combo bar on my dually. Been riding it for half a season with no problems a all. Just follow the torque settings and you'll be good.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...