mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Shimano M590 Crankset weight vs old Acera ?

I have a 2000 model year Trek that came with a Shimano Acera crankset. Im thinking about either a new Shimano Deore M590 Crankset or M532 Deore LX crankset. Does anyone have a rough idea as to the weight savings ? Cant find any info on what the stock Acera crankset weighs. Nor for that matter does Shimano list the weight of the M590 crankset on their website. Any ideas ?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    What's the model code in the back of the stock cranks around the pedal holes?

Usually with the lower end cranks, the arms themselves are actually quite reasonable weight but the chainrings are all steel and this is where the major weight difference is found. A steel 44T ring is about 170g and an alloy ring would be about half that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The crankset is model FC-M330

with stock rings its likely around a kg, and the ones you asked about are about a half pound lighter.

Cuánto pesa?
    D8, didn't those Acera cranksets come with riveted c-rings
    Last edited by Jake Pay; 08-29-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Nope, 4-bolt 64/104 spider with stamped steel rings. The arms themselves without the crank bolts are about 550g. The middle ring is about 100g, the granny about 35g, and the big 170g, and there's about 40g of chromed steel chainring bolts. There's also the lovely square taper bottom bracket which has probably steel cups also, guesstimate out around 300g. If its the 26/36/48 ringed model though add more chainring weight.

Some altus cranks and everything in the tourney range...now those are rivetted rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Dee Eight - Thanks for the info. Taking another look at the cranks, there is just one set of
    bolts on the innermost and middle chainring. The largest chaining and middle chainring are
    somehow formed or joined together from two separate stampings. So it appears the middle and outer chainrings cant be independently changed ?

As for the bottom bracket, I recently had a 1995 Deore LX crankset on a different bike switched to 2010 Deore XT hollowtech. The old BB was over 300 grams probably closer to 350 grams. I have the old BB, I'll have to double check the weight.

My goal with this whole project is to to take some weight of an extremely portly 2000 Trek
    Y3. The bike is just used for very casual riding, just would like to get a better quality drivertrain and in the process shave off some weight.