mtbr member

Shaving off cable "nub" on v-brake arms

I was just taking a look at my Vueltas... couldn't one shave off these "nubs" to save a little weight? I think that it's for securing the brake cable and seems hardly necessary. I just worry about flying magnesium shavings... also I'm sure it would need to be painted over.

Last edited by AdamGSmed; 12-24-2004 at 08:18 PM.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGSmed
    I was just taking a look at my Vueltas... couldn't one shave off these "nubs" to save a little weight? I think that it's for securing the brake cable and seems hardly necessary. I just worry about flying magnesium shavings... also I'm sure it would need to be painted over.

Interesting..
    actually thats what the spring rests against to give it spring on most v-brakes i believe..
    Last edited by mtb_biker; 12-24-2004 at 07:46 PM.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGSmed

If I am reading this right, you mean the "nub" where the cable retention bolt screws in. If this is the case, I did shave the nub on my Koski V-Lite brakes, but it ended up saving very little weight.

I did not do this to my Vueltas, mainly because the weight savings is almost nil, it affects the appearance, and the Vueltas were expensive whereas the Koskis were only $9.95.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

mtbr member
    No, that's not what I mean. It's what mtb_biker described: the stop that the long spring (like on Avids or your Tektros) usually rests on. Does the photo not show?

Boj
    mtbr member
    I know what you mean. I use it to retain cable end. Vueltas are magnesium and shaving that little nipple off will save next to no weight. I though about this myself but not worth it.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

banned

agree, not worth the hassle...

Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    I know what you mean. I use it to retain cable end. Vueltas are magnesium and shaving that little nipple off will save next to no weight. I though about this myself but not worth it.
    savings of 0,xxx grams maybe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Max
    Velodramatic
    as the previous posters said, this nipple retains the cable, and it wouldnt save any weight while destroying the look. (at least my) vuelta have a pretty fragile paint job, so i gotta be careful with even mounting the pads.

BTW: weighed my pads yesterday: incl. new brake pads, all washers and the stock steel nut one pair weighed 35,5 g. not that far off from road pads, and i have no compatibility problems at all

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

banned

pad weight...

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    as the previous posters said, this nipple retains the cable, and it wouldnt save any weight while destroying the look. (at least my) vuelta have a pretty fragile paint job, so i gotta be careful with even mounting the pads.

BTW: weighed my pads yesterday: incl. new brake pads, all washers and the stock steel nut one pair weighed 35,5 g. not that far off from road pads, and i have no compatibility problems at all
    yep - around 34-36g is the lightest you can get to weigh a set of MTB pads.
    however if you still have the standard nuts you must have a really light setup or scale that isn't that accurate...anyway- my tuned Jagwires weigh 48g. they still allow for alignement which usually is not doable on roadpads. there's lots of weight hidden in the pads alone

pads:
    standard weight: ca 50g/pair...100g/set
    tuned: 36g/pair ......72g/set (new pads, Ritchey pads would be 2g lighter)
    tuned Jagwire Carbon Roadpads: 24g/pair.........48g/set ( that's - 52g!!)

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    I read that those brakes are not real carbon. That is the best looking faux-carbon I've seen. Does it look real in person?

banned

REAL carbon...

Quote Originally Posted by split
    I read that those brakes are not real carbon. That is the best looking faux-carbon I've seen. Does it look real in person?
    these Jagwire padholders are REAL carbon. that's why they are so light.
    that's the only ones i found so far that aren't "faux" carbon. only B-T-P pads are also carbon but there the pads are glued on so no replacement of pads. but those weigh just 30g/set and have no alignement possibility...oh well

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    nino... do you have a source or any more of those jagwire pads? I need new holders and pads for my campy brakes. Thanks

Max
    Velodramatic
    those pads arent sold so far. nino got them directly at the eurobike trade show. good night, here it's 3:17 in the morning now...

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger