Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rrl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

selle italia slr kit carbonio gel flow saddle

itīs been a months since i got my selle italia slr kit carbonio gelflow saddle soo now i can post my first thoughts:

i ride mostly single track, crosscountry trails... itīs very light, cool shape, strong (i weight 70kgs); and very very very confortable. i am surprised how confortable this saddle is. i had my thoughts about getting it cause locals tht ride in a slr titanium or vanox say that itīs only a rode saddle, but donīt believe that. before i bought it i used to have a fizik saddle but this selle italia itīs way confortable. if you wanna pull the trigger on this baby but yourīre not shure about itīs confy or not donīt look further.

very cool saddle indeed

rrl

mtbr member
    I agree- mine is more comfortable than the SLR gel flow that it replaced, imo. It's being used with a Thomson mp seatpost, though. I have to wonder how the rails would hold up on something like a KCNC.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    As a baggy shorts wearer, I had trouble with the SLR shape. It is too pointed at the nose and catches the shorts, ripping them to bits.

Older & Faster...downhill
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm
    As a baggy shorts wearer, I had trouble with the SLR shape. It is too pointed at the nose and catches the shorts, ripping them to bits.
    You ride your WW ride with baggies? Isn't that in the WW rule book?

mtbr member
    I heard this saddle doesn't mount to some seat posts (ie. specialized), because of the rail shape. Does anyone have any experience with this? What seat post are you using?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckji
    I heard this saddle doesn't mount to some seat posts (ie. specialized), because of the rail shape. Does anyone have any experience with this? What seat post are you using?

A lot of saddles with carbon rails dont work with some seatposts. That is because the carbon rails tend to be much bigger in diameter than the metal ones. I know some companies (bontrager) off different sized "ears" for their seat posts to work with these larger rails so you might wanna look into that for the seatpost you have

ups and downs
    Quite a few of the new Selle Italia saddles can't be used with seat post clamps that clamp from the sides of the rails like Race Face Next/Deus etc. because the rails aren't actually round, they are flattened on the sides.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

gone for a bike ride
    SLR Carbonio Flow's are the best saddle i've ever used, they were a massive upgrade from SLR Gel Flow. on the trail the carbon rails flex like an extra level of suspension - really cushty.

+ if you shop around they can be had for less than $150.

Selle Carbonio saddles have 8x8.5mm carbon oval rails - i'm using a Syntace P6 which works with oval rails without modification + they have the best clamp design on the market. on my other bike i've a Carbonio Flow on a Ritchey WCS single bolt seatpost with their 8x8.5mm clamp kit, holds great, but easy to over torque.

USE have an oval rail head kit as an accessory for their Alien & Sumo posts. Thomson wrote back to say you don't need any adaptors to use their Masterpeice seatposts with Selle oval rails. i had no response from Woodman last September regards oval rails with their posts (even re-sent the message), finally, from experience they don't work with Specialized carbon posts (one came with a frame).

(edit for typo)
    Last edited by culturesponge; 03-01-2009 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaman
    You ride your WW ride with baggies? Isn't that in the WW rule book?
    I don't have a WW bike... unless you count my rigid singlespeed from BITD. That is currently sporting a titanium Turbomatic on an original USE titanium post.

I don't do lycra. I'm 40 years old. The world is a better place with me not doing lycra.

Hack Racer
    The carbon rail Selle Italia saddles have a ovalized oversize rail. Meaning some seat post clamps will not work. Best to check this out before hand. Or learn the hard way like me.

Personally I would just buy a normal SLR. The claimed weights for the Kit Carbonio (Flow or not) are utter BS.

Here is my overweight POS that costs 125 USD more than a standard SLR. The standard SLR is only 2 grams heavier than my on average. The KIt Carbonio saddles are a waste of money. Just buy a normal Selle Italia SLR or Flite or whatever...

rrl
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckji
    iīm using a control tech i post carbon fiber (350mm x 31.6) seatpost and it fits perfect!!

ups and downs
    Here's the pictorial from the Selle Italia instructions on fitting saddle clamps. I liked Fig 2 the best. Don't f'over your seat rails.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Here's the pictorial from the Selle Italia instructions on fitting saddle clamps. I liked Fig 2 the best. Don't f'over your seat rails.
    installed a 218g terry butterfly carbon saddle on my wifes stumpjumper today.

it has exactly the same carbon rails as my Selle Italia Carbonio Flow(s) - but instead of a lorica cover she gets hand stitched Italian leather.

anyway, it works great with my old EC90 setback seatpost.
    Last edited by culturesponge; 01-04-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Hack Racer
    How much is that terry butterfly carbon saddle?

I wonder what the shell looks like and if ripping the padding and leather off will reveal a normal SLR shell.

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    How much is that terry butterfly carbon saddle?

I wonder what the shell looks like and if ripping the padding and leather off will reveal a normal SLR shell.
    $190 retail but $117.39 + postage from:

http://www.bikesonline.com/index.php...n-Black-Saddle

the shell is different to my SLR's, wider with no claims of carbon content, but your right there's loads of opportunities for modification/weenism.

the manufacturer's website: http://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles...?item_no=21179

mtbr member
    I got a SLR Kit Carbonio Flow for EUR 99 (USD 124) + shipping on eBay Italy yesterday.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    I liked Fig 2 the best.
    F OVER - NO!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi guys,

I have had the chance to give a try to the kit carbonio flow last sunday and I have to admit that I've been quiet impressed by its confort. However, I'm not sure this saddle is designed for aggressive xc riding. Do you think it is? Are the carbon rails appropriate for this kind of riding?
    By the way, I found a great deal on the kit carbonio (not the flow, the normal). Do you think it will be as confortable as the flow?
    FYI, this saddle will be used on a Slayer SXC 2009...

gone for a bike ride
    should be no probs using the saddle offroad, the covering is tougher than it looks. just make sure your seatpost is compatable with the wider oval rails, there's a few posts listed above in this thread.

as long as you don't overtighten + use carbon paste when you install everything should be okay.

can't comment on the comfort of the non cut-out version, been riding years & years now with SLR flows, comfort depends on your shorts as well - you might notice numbness after a few hours/or not!

Hack Racer
    Curious... where is the best for pricing on this saddle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    im in the same problem, i have a slr kit carbonio flow and i need to buy a seatpost for my nicolai helius rc, i think i better buy the syntance p6 carbon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTZMTB1
    im in the same problem, i have a slr kit carbonio flow and i need to buy a seatpost for my nicolai helius rc, i think i better buy the syntance p6 carbon.
    Hmm..contrary to a post above about P6--my P6 does not fit a new Kit Carbonio Flow--rails seem to be 2mm too close together. It will not mount. I mounted it on an old Syncros post no problem. Emailed Syntace and got a reply from Germany right back--P6 is engineered to fit oversized carbon rails as on SLR. Which is not my problem. Said there should be some give on bending rails but be careful. Really they do not want to bend apart at all. I read somewhere else here about carbon rails on SLR quickly "turning to mush," so I figure I will ride it for a while on the Syncros and then try it on the P6 again. Or get aggressive with it, maybe.

Beautiful saddle. On the firm side. Makes me faster on the way back.

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit
    Hmm..contrary to a post above about P6--my P6 does not fit a new Kit Carbonio Flow--rails seem to be 2mm too close together. It will not mount. I mounted it on an old Syncros post no problem. Emailed Syntace and got a reply from Germany right back--P6 is engineered to fit oversized carbon rails as on SLR. Which is not my problem. Said there should be some give on bending rails but be careful. Really they do not want to bend apart at all. I read somewhere else here about carbon rails on SLR quickly "turning to mush," so I figure I will ride it for a while on the Syncros and then try it on the P6 again. Or get aggressive with it, maybe.

Beautiful saddle. On the firm side. Makes me faster on the way back.
    hello BadHabit

sorry to contradict you matey - but SLR Carbonio Flows work great with Syntace P6 seatposts, very slight inward rail bending when winding up the bolts on install - but nothing to endanger yer crown jewels

i did 1000 miles mtbing with my Carbonio Flow SLR + P6, some really rough trails without any probs whatsoever (best combo IMHO, better than the WCS Superlogic i'm using now) and now another 600 miles with the P6 with the wifes Terry Carbon saddle also with SLR Carbonio oval rails on her Stumpy

also had the same info from Syntace ...why not try again?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge

also had the same info from Syntace ...why not try again?
    I will and try to report back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast