the train keeps rollin

Sealant weight question

Gents, have a question for you.

Does the latex sealant retain all of it's weight in the tire, after it's life span has come and gone? Reading stans bottle, states to add more sealant every 2-7 months. So I put 60 grams of sealant in my front tire to start, now I need to add half a scoop, seems I'll have
    a heavy tire as I keep adding more. My front tire usually last a couple seasons, and I will have 150+ grams of sealant in there before I change out.

Does some of the sealant evaporate, the water portion I would think?

Are you guys busting the tire off, cleaning out the rubber clumps now and then?

Or changing tires out more frequently? Expensive!

SUBLIM8er
    Yes, it evaporates a great deal and so you actually begin to lose weight directly after adding the sealant. I find that subsequent to the initial application the tire is well coated with a film of the sealant and much less sealant is required to hold air. This depends alot on the tire as well and how well it locks up the air. The Stans rims do this very well as do the Crow tires. When I'm feeling lazy or in a hurry I use the Stans injector tool that shoots it straight through the valve stem- works great. Occasionally I'll tear the tire down to get rid of the latex pebbles that accumulate and to clean off the tire bead for a rejuvenated bead/rim lock, especially if I have burped some air and gathered some dirt and debris along the bead. Some tires just seem to hold air like a champ and need very little attention. My front Crow tire on the ZTR is a good example. It holds air better then a tubed tire and I haven't touched it for a couple months. I find that if I'm having troubles with loss of air it usually has to do with something that got stuck in between the bead/rim like pine needles, dirt, etc., etc....
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

Members who have read this thread: 0