mtbr member

SDG I-Beam and saddle opinions

I'm currently running an EC90 seat post (190g) and WTB Sillverado saddle (200g). The saddle leaves something to be desired in the comfort stakes and my shorts get caught on the saddle nose.
    Has anyone got any I-beam saddle and post set ups that are reliable and comfortable that are lighter than this set up? I have the Bel Air railed saddle on one of my other bikes and its very comfortable.

Formula FX or Ti-Fly any good?

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    I've been running the I-Beam post with the I-Fly saddle on two of my bikes for 3+ years and as a light weight but strong combo, they're pretty hard to beat. The I-Fly saddles are certainly minimal but that's what I like about them as they stay out of the way when I don't need them yet I find them comfortable enough for all day rides.
    I can't say I'm sold on the I-Beam concept as I think I've adjusted a saddle once in all that time but the posts are sturdy and flex free and that's the best thing about them.

dwt
    mtbr member
    SDG Bell Air SL Saddle (185 g.) on Kore Carbon I-Beam post (180 g).

Light and stiff set-up, highly recommended.

The saddle is comfortable and has enough of a nose for saddle-nose-up-butt-cheeks granny gear climbs.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

What could go wrong ...
    +1 for the Kore I beam saddle and seatpost I've been on for 2 years now... light and stiff
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Looks like the Kore is 180g for the 27.2/350mm. The 30.9/400 I need is going to be 190g at least putting it at the same weight as my EC90 so I'd only save 20g on swapping Silverado saddle (butt breaker) for the relative comfort of the Bel Air. Hmmm

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
    Looks like the Kore is 180g for the 27.2/350mm. The 30.9/400 I need is going to be 190g at least putting it at the same weight as my EC90 so I'd only save 20g on swapping Silverado saddle (butt breaker) for the relative comfort of the Bel Air. Hmmm
    Comfort in the case of a saddle trumps weight. Bottom line for me is having some sort of rounded soft nose saddle for climbing on my geared bike. The Bel Air has enough of that and is also light enough. I've tried a lot of post/saddle combos over - good grief, it's been 17 years? - and the Kore / Bel Air I-Beam is the best all around light and comfortable combo I've had.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.