mtbr member

scott team issue x rocky mountain vertex sc

hello freaks, im choosing a frame for my new build and was almost getting the scott team issue but the dealer offered me a rocky mountain vertex sc for almost the same price, just U$50 more, the rocky is a little heavier but that gorgeous paint job is worth in my opinion. since this are the only two options i have here in brazil, wich one you suggest? im a 178lbs xc racer that loves to sprint and hate flexy parts.

thanks in advance
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

chips & bier

Well, I'm a little biased :0)

As a Rocky Mountain owner... Seriously, if weight isn't your primary consideration, I'd get the spec sheets and ponder over:

1) Fit. The Vertex is a lot more sloping than the Scott. That's my preference. That said, there's a comfort advantage to have a lot of seatpost sticking out: get a flexy carbon or ti post and will take a little more edge of bumps when sitting.

2) Stiffness. I'd gamble on the extra 200 g being in the Vertex's favour in terms of rigidity. I've never seen stiffness figures for the Vertex SC, but it's full-suspended counterpart is usually well-placed in tests.

3) Geometry/ride characterics: The Vertex SC is (as most Rocky Moutains are, apart from the RM series) a singletrack flyer. If we're to believe Bike Magazin (Germany), the Scott isn't. I'd pick whatever suited my terrain and riding style most.

As far as practical experience goes, I've got an RM Instinct, so that's nothing to compare with. A friend of mine was sponsored by Scott for a couple of years, and his opinion of the Team Issue was "rides like a dream". He's enormous (192 cm or something) but very light (70 kg), and had little problems with stiffness. He did once wrap a Team Issue around a tree, but I doubt any light XC frame would survive a similar crash.

Both frames are top-notch, so I guess it's a question of picking whatever suits you and your riding style most. And whatever looks nicest; for that amount of money it better look like the gem it rides like.

Good luck either way!

banned

another biased reply...

this time the other way though:

the Scott is a singletrail bombing machine and it's geometry is for experienced riders. at higher speeds (going downhills) it needs your attention. it steers ultraquick and the short chainstays make it climb like a dream. stiffness numbers place it well ahead of the competition and the weight is unmatched too.

I only have experience on FS Rockys and those were extremely lame to my surprise.slow steering and would go "straight" only...i really was surprised as RMs have a high reputation but the 2 bikes i tried were some of the worst FS bikes i can remember.definitely not in the same league than Scott FS designs as far as singletrail riding is concerned.at higher speeds they should be more stable though.

BTW: i have a brandnew 04 HT frameset for sale cheap...

mtbr member
    damm....you guys makes me more confused :-))

if i get the scott, i will need a xl, wich will makes my bike looks like thomas frischknecht´s bike, with little seatpost exposed, but i will be able to go with a smaller and lighter post. my bike will looks like frischy´s bike.

if i get the vertex sc, i will be able to have more seatpost exposed, more stand over clearance and the size large top tube´s is 60cm lenght, longer than the scott´s.

ps:nino, whats up with those carbon scott brake levers that the swisspowerteam is using this year? looks great!
    Last edited by carlos; 05-02-2004 at 11:11 AM.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Lactic Acid is my friend.

Rocky Mountain

My last bike was a Vertex. The geometry on the RM's are designed for climbing (designed with Westcoast Canadian riding in mind), and that it did very well. Mine was a goat on steroids. I think you should definetly find a local shop that will let you demo a RM and see for yourself because it's kinda hard to describe. I noticed the difference going to my new bike, that it didn't have quite the same goat-ish qualities as my Vertex. I don't know what it was but I noticed it slightly.

Other pluses for RM are that the high end models are still made by hand and I think signed by their builder/inspector, and the paint is second to none for production bikes.

And that, is just my biased opinion. Good luck!

banned

Frischy has custom geometry...

Frischy has bikes that are custom made to his needs.he rides the same geometry for years and has his bikes built to suit him.my friend Andy from Eclipse got a racebike from Frischy and it has the exact same angles as the production bikes but different lenghts all over.
    it is more like a 18" with a 19" front end mated to it with very shortish headtube.

i don't know what carbon levers you are talking about.maybe some carbon look-a-like SRAMs.definitely nothing too exotic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    Frischy has bikes that are custom made to his needs.he rides the same geometry for years and has his bikes built to suit him.my friend Andy from Eclipse got a racebike from Frischy and it has the exact same angles as the production bikes but different lenghts all over.
    it is more like a 18" with a 19" front end mated to it with very shortish headtube.

i don't know what carbon levers you are talking about.maybe some carbon look-a-like SRAMs.definitely nothing too exotic!
    i know that, i was talking about the tall seat tube and less exposed seat post.
    this is the levers im talking about.

hey
    ho
    lets go!

chips & bier

Interesting (maybe a little more insight for Carlos, too)

In the end it's all a question of opinion. I ride a tiny frame for my size (I'm 1.83 cm and I have an 18" with 580 mm top tube and 120 mm stem). The wheelbase is short, and the longer stem makes it a bit more stable at high speeds. This probably accounts for my opinion of the handling.

I do notice that you say the Vertex has a 600 mm top tube, which the Scott doesn't. If length is an important issue for you, I would probably make it a serious consideration. After all, a too short or too long frame is wasted money, as large stem length changes will throw off handling significantly.

Regarding that, what stem size do you plan on using? For such a size frame I'd look at about 110-120 mmon the Vertex, unless like really twitchy steering. On the other hand, if the largest Scott is 1 cm too short, maybe a 120-130 mm stem might work well there?

To make a long story short: do your best to test ride both bikes in the proper size. Preferably with the same tires, etc., to get a good feel for what you like best.

mtbr member
    eric, i currently ride a spz m2 ht frame with a 575mm top tube,im 1.84m tall and use a 130mm thomson stem. the team issue complete bike already comes with a 130 mm stem and i tried and felt really nice. the rocky mountain is not avaliable for a test because the dealer will only order one if i make sure i will buy it, here in my town, expensive bikes are a tad difficult to sell. thats why i have to search for feedbacks as much as i can.

thanks very much for your help
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Lactic Acid is my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    eric, i currently ride a spz m2 ht frame with a 575mm top tube,im 1.84m tall and use a 130mm thomson stem. the team issue complete bike already comes with a 130 mm stem and i tried and felt really nice. the rocky mountain is not avaliable for a test because the dealer will only order one if i make sure i will buy it, here in my town, expensive bikes are a tad difficult to sell. thats why i have to search for feedbacks as much as i can.

thanks very much for your help
    They won't even let you demo any other RM HT they have in stock? They all have the same geometries. It's better than nothing.

chips & bier

Yep, all the same geo...

The Vertex TSC has a 585 mm top tube for the 18.5" size, which should be just about right with a 120 mm stem, maybe a 130 mm if your Special Ed is a bit short for your liking. In theory only the Vertex has the same geo (I think the other steel HT's have a 580 TT for 18.5", and the cheaper hardtails 575 mm TT).

My '01 Instinct has a 580 mm top tube, 120 mm stem, and I'm currently using a riser bar. It's a bit short, but I've come to like riding a slightly short bike (except on the road).