Illuminati

Scott Spark 1.8kg XC FS frame

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/4994/v/1/sp/

I assume you guys have all seen this?

SUBLIM8er
    I'm interested. This may be the answer to my WW full suspension frame search. A sub four pound FS frame? That's insanely light! I don't even want to think about what the price tag will be.

edit: I just did a search. It looks like no availability until Jan. or Feb. of '07.
    Last edited by Axis II; 08-10-2006 at 08:50 AM.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member

Funny he is running a Fox F100X

on his bike - 3.75 lbs is a porker of a fork for that bike.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by scant
    http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...N/4994/v/1/sp/

I assume you guys have all seen this?

A Real Winner.
    So, it's a Titus Racer-X without a Horst Link. Big deal. I remember seeing this frame 10 years ago when it was an AMP, and it probably rode better.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    actually i believe amps had a horst link, seeing as they were designed by horst himself.

But i'll take one of those scotts (or three). Espescially with those tubular wheels.
    OT but what ever happened to those wheels? Are they ever going to be sold?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

is it a

vpp design? nice looking bike.

Hack Racer
    how much does the new 2007 specialized carbon epic with the brian shock weigh?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    no vpps are like blurs and turners... this looks more like a non-horst link 4-bar linkage

edit: ooops i mean intense not turner
    Last edited by bhsavery; 08-11-2006 at 04:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    actually i believe amps had a horst link, seeing as they were designed by horst himself.

But i'll take one of those scotts (or three). Espescially with those tubular wheels.
    OT but what ever happened to those wheels? Are they ever going to be sold?
    i asked ritchey at sea otter if they were ever going to sell them and they said no. they actually aren't that light, but they allow frischi to run tubular dugast tires that have really low pressure.
    mpap

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    no vpps are like blurs and turners... this looks more like a non-horst link 4-bar linkage
    Quick - edit your post before you get picked on by the turner boys!!!!!

The non-horst link 4 bar linkage is usually refered to as a Faux bar

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyisdope
    So, it's a Titus Racer-X without a Horst Link. Big deal. I remember seeing this frame 10 years ago when it was an AMP, and it probably rode better.
    Actually its a Jamis Dakar / Rocky Mountain Element clone if anything... albeit significantly lighter.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

big deal! a $5000

kona...lol
    can get a kona king for about $1200 and be close in weight.
    what a joke a $5000 4.5lb faux bar...
    what will they think of next???

I believe the point is that its a 4 pound faux bar... not 4.5 pound. Kona's LIGHTEST XC dually frame which has 2" less travel also weighs a pound and a half MORE. And when you can already afford all the best everywhere else, another grand for a frame that beats all comers in the weight department, AT a decent amount of travel still, is worth the cost.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

illuminator82
    Jun 2004

ok lets go another route..big deal a $5000

kona a la turner nitrous 4.5lbs and and 80mm of travel....for $1800
    so, when i see that frame in reality, in a medium or large at 4lbs with shock, that you can race without it imploding on you, i will become a believer, but ohh wait, it will still ride like a single pivot sant cruz superlite..lol

banned

5 year warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by brook_63@yahoo.com
    kona a la turner nitrous 4.5lbs and and 80mm of travel....for $1800
    so, when i see that frame in reality, in a medium or large at 4lbs with shock, that you can race without it imploding on you, i will become a believer, but ohh wait, it will still ride like a single pivot sant cruz superlite..lol
    scott offers a 5 year warranty, races included ! the complete Limited FS is announced to weigh just 9,7 kilos ( 19,8 lbs). that's with standard XTR parts, crossmax wheels and disc brakes. no fancy weight-weenie parts here. Scott is raising the bar for the competition once again

by the way: scotts numbers are always spot on. you better believe these numbers!

by the way - the new Specialized Enduro SLs rear end also isn't anything new, right? seems all those exotic designs disappear and we go back to some original designs.

below another closeup
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The Scale LTD isn't even that light. The weight of the Spark LTD is 21.5 lbs with XTR pedals(weighed at the same place your picture is from). Still impressive, but that's with the integrated seatpost that you have to cut to size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm reserving judgement until someone reviews how efficient the rear is on this guy, but it does look nice.

It'd be as efficient as an Element or a Dakar, which is efficient enough to win marathon XC races. I would have thought that by now the whole "hardtails are more efficient" myth would have been over and done with. A decade ago Proflex had scientifically proven with instrumented bikes that their then high-tech but now rather obsolete FS frames were more efficient on XC courses than a hardtail, and that lap times were in fact faster on their bikes than on hardtails that weighed less. A bike does NOT have to be a horst-link or a VPP to pedal well if you get the pivot placement right, and use a good shock.

SUBLIM8er

Stupid question:

What happens on an integrated seatpost frame when you change your shoes (thicker or thinner soles,) get a thicker pad in your shorts, change to a taller/shorter saddle, need to ship your bike or maybe want to sell to someone taller? No adjustments? Are you SOL?
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    What happens on an integrated seatpost frame when you change your shoes (thicker or thinner soles,) get a thicker pad in your shorts, change to a taller/shorter saddle, need to ship your bike or maybe want to sell to someone taller? No adjustments? Are you SOL?
    Clone yourself and you'll have a sweet bike that fits perfectly.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II
    like on Giant roadframes that also have integrated seatposts you still have some adjustement left in the seatclamp. it's only a couple of cm so you still better make sure you don't cut it too short initially...

BUT only the LTD frames have the integrated seatpost.all others have regular seatposts.

@americanstandard:
    they weigh without pedals, the way you also buy the bike. so the given weight was not that far off, right? there's not too many HTs out there reaching this weight.

illuminator82
    Jun 2004
    so that means i get a 5 year warranty on my body and all my hospital bills?;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I dont see the integrated seatpost thing as being nescessarily bad on an XC racebike such as this, though I have friends who will move thier post up and down during a ride based on the terrain.

The travelling thing does suck though... MORE OT: Does mavic even ask people what they want wheels to look like??? Those crossmaxes would be very nice looking wheels without the one red spoke

Members who have read this thread: 0