I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Scott Scale Ltd vs. Cannondale Taurine Team?

Anyone ridden both? Pros/cons? Which could be built-up lighter?

Thx
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah

Thx
    as a Scott-Fan i would say get the Scale BUT NOT the LTD with the integrated seatpost !

The integrated seatpost is
    -heavier than a lightweight seatpost (remember that the Ritchey clamp alone weighs 135g!)
    -hinders you when transporting the bike
    -rides harder (less flex)
    -has no adjustment once cut
    -can only be sold to people shorter than you
    -the Ritchey-clamp might not allow all saddles to be mounted (for example Becker carbon/Tune Concorde)

For me those integrated seatposts are just a gimmick with only negative aspects. I don't see ANY positive things.

LA CHÈVRE
    I had a borrowed Taurine for a while, the best hardtail I have threw a leg over. Light but feels solid and stiff, it climbs, sprints and rides like a racy hardtail should but it does surprisingly well going downhill too, very stable and confidence inspiring (the Lefty helps there too)... The BB30 Hollowgram SL crankset is very nice, very light, very stiff and 2x9.

The Lefty is also a big plus to me, very light (1155 gr claimed) but also stiffer and more precise than other XC forks (and even compared with some AM forks) out there, I can't ride other forks anymore, they all feel vague and flimsy, like they are bending and twisting. The integrated stem also makes the front end stiffer and the steering more precise. Lifetime warranty, stout frame... Mine weighed 19.75lbs but with pretty standard parts, nothing super light, heavy Crossmax wheels and UST tires and an older 0.5+lbs heavier Lefty Fox Terralogic. I'm on a Scalpel now.

I can't say the Scott is not good though, you can't go wrong with either bikes IMO but some preferences will make you go one way or the other (I prefer the Cannondale obviously), try to test ride them and it might just be obvious to you which is the best one.

And I agree with nino about integrated seatposts, it may look cleaner but it has no advantages but some disadvantages, it's just a current fashion/trendy marketing gimmick.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Scalpel vs Scale

Having ridden both bikes, I like them both. The Scale is lighter out of the box, has greater flexibility in swapping parts, looks sweet and has awesome racebike handling. The C'dale is more advanced in terms of performance-enhancing technologies, such as the BB30 (and awesome 2x9 crank) and Lefty fork, by far the lightest and stoutest XC race fork. Limiting factors on the C'dale are that the lefty limits your wheel choices, and the Xmax wheels it comes with are worthless. However, the C'dale Lefty hub is really light, can be had with ceramic bearings, and is well designed in terms of spoke tension, durability and wheel building.

Both bikes are outstanding race bikes. I would get whichever one you can build up how you want for cheaper (after all the upgrades you want to do). Weight with mostly identical parts will be very close on both.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy the Scott Limited because of the integrated seatpost. NIno has already listed the reasons why it's a bad idea. So, I would either buy a Scott 10 or the Cannondale. Tough choice, both are great bikes. Flip a coin.

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    as a Scott-Fan i would say get the Scale BUT NOT the LTD with the integrated seatpost !

-heavier than a lightweight seatpost (remember that the Ritchey clamp alone weighs 135g!)
    -the Ritchey-clamp might not allow all saddles to be mounted (for example Becker carbon/Tune Concorde)

For me those integrated seatposts are just a gimmick with only negative aspects. I don't see ANY positive things.
    Thanx Nino. I almost forgot about that integrated post. How about the Scale 10 then?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I'm a Scott fan also, but the Cannondale looks hawt also. I'm not sure if Cannondale still uses their proprietary head tube on their bikes. If so I would pick the Scott. If not I would pick whichever bike looks the best to you.

banned
    Thanx Nino. I almost forgot about that integrated post. How about the Scale 10 then?
    the Scale can definitely be built lighter.handling is top as well.

it's really a matter of preferences. i don't like C'dale, i don't like integrated stuff or parts where you are forced to use a certain brand (lefty fork, c'dale cranks)

with the Scale you have all options.

Either way - i'm sure both are great bikes. But the Scale can be built lighter for sure.

By the way- i just found a recent comparison test of high-end hardtails...the C'dale frame is a tank: 1374g !!

well, wait a second. this might be a test of 08 bikes. i see a high weight for the Simplon which i know has a lighter frameset than the Scale. maybe that's "last" years bikes. i think so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nino; 01-13-2009 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    I have no beef with Scott other than their BS warranty program...If they build a frame, why not stand behind it for more than 5 years. ALL Cannondale's comes with a Lifetime warranty.

I'm a big fan of the Taurine. The Team is a great package with the lefty OPI and the Hollogram crank and BB.

Now, why did Scott stop selling their frames in the USA? Aren't they an American company?

banned
    Now, why did Scott stop selling their frames in the USA? Aren't they an American company?
    The Scott Bike division is swiss

LAN
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Cannondale have to use their fork, and BB30 crankset, but I don't think that is a problem. The Lefty SL is the best XC fork on the marked, and the Hollowgram SL cranks are also among the best, much better than FSA etc. I still consider the Clavicula better, but most people don't consider it because of the price.

The Cannondale is stiffer than Scott, and not much heavier, maybe 100-150g.

If you want to build the Scott lighter than the Cannondale/Lefty SL2/Hollowgram SL package, you will have to use Clavicula and exotic forks.

banned

actual magazine test!

Thx
    ok - i just found the latest german BIKE-magazine where they did that comparison test on the new Top 09 Hardtails.

The C'dale Taurine get's very good review.
    weight of the frame: 1331g
    weight of the fork 1180g (that's without the 260g stem/steerer combo which you obviously need)...so it's really 1440g

The Scale RC was the winner of the comparison test.
    weight of frame INCLUDING integrated seatpost: 1167g
    weight of SID Team: 1535g (including remote lockout)
    Attached Images Attached Images

ok - i just found the latest german BIKE-magazine where they did that comparison test on the new Top 09 Hardtails.

The C'dale Taurine get's very good review.
    weight of the frame: 1331g
    weight of the fork 1180g (that's without the 260g stem/steerer combo which you obviously need)...so it's really 1440g

The Scale RC was the winner of the comparison test.
    weight of frame INCLUDING integrated seatpost: 1167g
    weight of SID Team: 1535g (including remote lockout)
    Wow......Cannondale sure improved the 2009 frames!

LA CHÈVRE
    The 09 Taurine has a different carbon mix than the previous Taurines... I haven't seen the 09 up-close but they also have updated the stays shapes a little to improve the stiffness and comfort.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 01-14-2009 at 02:37 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Hi Nino,

As I posted a few days ago, I now have a Spark LTD, having had my GF Sugar 1 for almost 9 years now.

I wasn't looking for a LTD, I wanted a 10 frame, but a got such a good deal on the LTD full bike, that I couldn't refuse it.

I too would have preferred not to have the integrated seatpost, but now I've had it for a month, it's not so bad;

True the clamp is heavy, but I swapped the big bolt for alloy and saved 14g immediately, with another 4g saved on the smaller bolt. LIghter versions of this clamp are on their way. I see no reason why someone cannot make one at about 80g. I will be first in the queue to buy one!

I transport my bike in the back of my car. My Sugar went straight in, no need to remove anything, the Spark LTD is the same. Maybe an issue if flying?

Rides harder. Does it? I don't know. Feels no different to my old Sugar with KCNC Ti Pro lite.

No adjustment. Scott say you have 10mm by moving the clamp up - probably you could do 20mm safely. Also they sell a taller clamp, if ever you need it.

Sold to shorter people. True, but there is some adjustment.

clamping probs - all my saddles mount fine.

On the plus side, I love the clean look, no crappy water gets into the frame, and never again will I worry about my seatpost slipping!!