Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scott Scale 899 vs C'dale Flash Himod

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Phanis13 
#1 ·
Hello guys.
I am planning to buy a new frame to mount my race rig for next season. As I already had a Scale Rc,choose the new model of Scale 899 would be a natural trend. But I came across some obstacles, the use of adapters. I see no point in having a bike with the tapered head tube and use a fork steerer 1 1 / 8 "(I have a DT Swiss XRC WC edition). A departure would Sid WC XX 100 9mmQR , but this is available only with 120mm travel with a weight of 1415g. A lead to my plans, about 15lbs. Another option that now and buy a framekit (Flash hi mod + + seatpost lefty). For me it is a big doubt. What do you think? What would get me more benefits ?The Scale 899 with DT Swiss XRC WC Edition plus tapered adapter or Flash Himod framekit?
thanks in adivse

#2 ·
I'd go with the 899.
I read somewhere(here or maybe weight weenies) where a guy was saying that he didn't think it mattered whether or not you used a tapered steerer with a tapered headtube. He believed that a lot of the extra stiffness was from the bigger headtube. I don't know if that is true or not, but it makes sense.

The scale is lighter. You don't have to use a direct mount front derailleur. Cleaner cable routing (especially on the rear brake). And pressfit 30 vs bb30.

The Flash is heavier. Direct mount front derailleur. Terrible cable routing. and BB30 (which probably isn't bad, I just think PF30 would be better). But with the Flash you do get a lefty.

#4 ·
Slap a Lefty on the Scale! :thumbsup:

26": 899g
29er: 949g

Carbon Lefty: ~2.8#

IIRC, for the tapered headtube, to elaborate a little more on the "claimed" benefit, bigger HT equals more space for tubing. Wider tubing can equal stiffer frame...bigger (or more) TT & DT connected to the HT...

#11 ·
What was Scott thinking with those colors? The bike is so high tech but with outdated colors. The 899/949 prototypes looked so much better.

Anyway, I would buy whichever one has a better warranty. Buy from a dealer that has a good relationship with the bike company. I've heard that both companies are slow to get replacements out so maybe that is a tie too.

#12 ·
2011 Sid...

vallinotti said:
A departure would Sid WC XX 100 9mmQR , but this is available only with 120mm travel with a weight of 1415g.
I still vote Lefty, no matter the frame. :thumbsup:
Just FYI, the Sid XX World Cup does come in an 80/100mm option. The weight listed is 1345g-1395g, not sure the difference... :confused:
https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/sid-xx-world-cup

limba said:
What was Scott thinking with those colors? The bike is so high tech but with outdated colors. The 899/949 prototypes looked so much better.
I agree, the protos were much cleaner looking. :D

limba said:
Anyway, I would buy whichever one has a better warranty. Buy from a dealer that has a good relationship with the bike company. I've heard that both companies are slow to get replacements out so maybe that is a tie too.
Not sure about Scott or C'Dale, but I know Orbea has a lifetime warranty... ;)
The higher models come with the Sid XX World Cup 100mm... :eekster:

https://www.orbea.com/au-us/bicis/modelos/alma_g_team/

#13 · (Edited)
vallinotti said:
899 graphics will be avaliable as complete bike only.
It's a shame if that's the case. One has to be insane or stupid to pay 9.999 dollars + tax for the complete Scale 899 bike. You could build a better bike for 2.000 dollars less.

The Scale RC graphics look a lot worse (a 12 year old BMX rider would probably like them, but I'm 33 and was never into BMX), which means I won't be buying anything from Scott. And I think many people will feel this way.

#15 ·
Deuce9er said:
Not sure about Scott or C'Dale, but I know Orbea has a lifetime warranty... ;)

The higher models come with the Sid XX World Cup 100mm... :eekster:
Cannondale is Lifetime, and I think Scott is like 5 years.

The 2011 Cannondale Flash team comes with the XLR lefty, which is essentially and XX fork but a lot lighter.

OP: Which Flash frame were you offered?

I would go with the Flash, very light frame (not as light as the 899) and one of the lighter forks on the market not counting tuned SID's and The german Sub Kilo's. If you find a deal on Hollowgrams it would complete the bike IMO.

#16 ·
Complete Scott Scale 899 bike: € 8.999

¿How much is it actually worth?

Scale RC 2011 frame (identical to the 899) € 1.800
includes seatpost and headset
SRAM XX PF30 groupset € 1.705
DT Swiss XRC 100 Race Limited World Cup Edition Fork € 680
Stem + handlebar € 250
Scott Racing Lite Open Grips € 10
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Saddle € 135
DT Swiss XR-SL Carbon Wheels ~ € 1.600
Schwalbe Furious Fred Evo Tires € 33 x2
Schwalbe Extralight MTB Tubes € 8 x2

TOTAL € 6.262
Difference - € 2.737

Can anyone say rip-off?

#17 ·
Having owned both brands...get the Cannondale, its definitely well worth the money. The ONLY other things I'll ever buy Swiss-made again are Rolex watches and their Chocolate.

The Swiss are notoriously worse for over-charging than their Teutonic counterpart Germans...

#18 ·
In my opinion , don't buy the 899 unless you want a broken bike if the brake hits the top tube I have a friend of mine and it happened to him. Scott frames are very sensitive . If you buy the cannondale you will have an extra stiff frame with a little penalty in grams but with lifetime warranty and the best bike fork out there witch is also the lightest , so at last you save more grams

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.