mtbr member

Scientific Proof!

The question is often asked, how much of a wieght savings is noticable, and by how much? So, I have proof. I just installed a set of foam grips and paul's lever, for a total savings of ~1/4lb. I went on my regular lunch time road loop (on my mtb, don't have a road bike yet) and my time improved by 4 minutes from my last ride!

So there you go.. 1/4lb = 4 minutes.

edit: oops. I should've mentioned that it's a 16.48mile loop as measured by both my cycle computer and GPS. Times are 1:07:20 last week, and 1:03:19 today.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by bmadau
    The question is often asked, how much of a wieght savings is noticable, and by how much? So, I have proof. I just installed a set of foam grips and paul's lever, for a total savings of ~1/4lb. I went on my regular lunch time road loop (on my mtb, don't have a road bike yet) and my time improved by 4 minutes from my last ride!

edit: oops. I should've mentioned that it's a 16.48mile loop as measured by both my cycle computer and GPS. Times are 1:07:20 last week, and 1:03:19 today.
    You are joking, right?

baker

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    You are joking, right?

baker
    No, he's serious.

thats a good number. Of course he tried it once, so the standard deviation on that figure is 1/square root(0) = infinity. In other words, don't take one sample as "Scientific Proof".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery
    1/square root(0) = infinity. In other words, don't take one sample as "Scientific Proof".
    Nice.. I like your math...
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Candlestick Maker
    Nice.. I like your math...
    I'm running a similar setup (Paul Levers and Titec Pork Rinds). But, I came
    from levers (tech lites) that were 30 grams lighter, so now I'm 23 seconds slower. :-)

Actually, I really like the Paul / Pork Rind combo...

baker
    Last edited by baker; 01-20-2005 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I did really well in a local singlespeed race this summer. I got really drunk the night before. There you have it, scientific proof that drinking makes you faster.

reebok classics

hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart
    I did really well in a local singlespeed race this summer. I got really drunk the night before. There you have it, scientific proof that drinking makes you faster.

why dont you dongs save on rotational weight first

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Oh no!

Oh no! My new disc levers weigh twice as much as Pauls LL. AND I like long rides-I guess I am going to really pay the price: at least 4 minutes slower on every 1:20 section!

mtbr member

Time to break out the nair and save @ 6 minutes on my next ride......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Kart Motzart

lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nah dude, it would be MORE than that. Because not only would you be saving the weight, but you know air resistance goes down by a square factor. Plus your girlfriend (or boyfriend, I seem to remember your shirt that says "I like 7 inches in the rear") would definitely dig you being as hairless as a 12 year old.

Then again I always wondered, maybe hair does the same thing as like dimples on a golf ball. No pun intended with the ball reference.

reebok classics
    Nah dude, it would be MORE than that. Because not only would you be saving the weight, but you know air resistance goes down by a square factor. Plus your girlfriend (or boyfriend, I seem to remember your shirt that says "I like 7 inches in the rear") would definitely dig you being as hairless as a 12 year old.

Then again I always wondered, maybe hair does the same thing as like dimples on a golf ball. No pun intended with the ball reference.

leg shaving is awesome,

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Time to break out the nair and save @ 6 minutes on my next ride......
    yeah I would probably save 10 minutes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

self destructive

d00d wzafuk are you talking about. **** if i lost 4 lbs i doubt that i would loose time based on that not weather conditions, physical abilites or anything else. you need more "proof" to convince me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boris the blade
    d00d wzafuk are you talking about. **** if i lost 4 lbs i doubt that i would loose time based on that not weather conditions, physical abilites or anything else. you need more "proof" to convince me.

Here lies the problem, you just dont "believe" do you?

mtbr member

We have a serious thread going on hear complete with scientific proof and you attempt to rain on our parade?

And leave my dimples outta this.......

banned
    Apr 2004

The placebo effect

you need a control group for this study, get a few people who only think their bikes are a 1/4 lb lighter and a group who's bikes really are a 1/4 lb lighter and you may see the same results.