mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Schwalbe quoted weights

Hi all!
    Can anyone tell me if schwalbe tires live up to their official weights please.
    Looking at rocket ron lightskins
    Thanks
    Kes
    "you must do what you feel is right of course"

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Nope. As a matter of fact pretty much all tires (regardless of brand) seem to be heavier than advertised, and often by a significant amount.

Why this happens is baffling to me.

Have a glance at this thread for actual weights:
    29er tire weight list

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxrextreme View Post
    Hi all!
    Thanks
    Kes
    Yes and No. The 2.8x27.5 LiteSkin RoRo's I currently have on my plus bike actually are a few grams under advertised weight but that doesn't mean the next one I get won't be considerably heavier. All my liteskin Jumbo Jim's have been 50-75 grams heavier than advertised. 2.25x29 liteskin EVO RaRa's I've used over the last few yrs. have varied from 495-605 grams. As far as weight is concerned "Not knowing what to expect is exactly what you should expect" has been my experience with Schwallbe tires.
    Mole

Hardtail Steel Forever
    My RR's 2.25's and NN's (2.25 and 2.35) came in a few grams under weight, Hans have been close, +/- 20g or something. All are evo 26in snakeskin tubeless.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It's very much hit and miss with Schwalbe. I recently ordered a pair of their new Magic Mary 2.6" SnakeSkin tire (one with the Addix Soft compound and one with Addix SpeedGrip) with a claimed weight of 1000 g. The SpeedGrip came in at 980 grams while the Soft came in at 1120 g.

Nutrailer
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    . As far as weight is concerned "Not knowing what to expect is exactly what you should expect" has been my experience with Schwallbe tires.
    Mole
    This is my experience, admittedly with Jumbo Jims (all sizes in both Snake & Lite skins).

Maybe if you're buying locally and not on line you can take some digi scales to your stockist?

I'd say don't worry about the differences but seeing as this is in the WW section you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    Maybe if you're buying locally and not on line you can take some digi scales to your stockist?
    Unfortunately can't afford to buy tires at the LBS. I ride over 10,000 mi. a yr. so when I find a good deal (25-50% of retail) I stock up. The lighter tires tend to be more porous and get more stans buildup anyway so operational weight doesn't vary that much.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxrextreme View Post
    Hi all!
    Thanks
    Kes
    My personal experience is a variability of plus/minus 5% max ... but they have so many tires that I would not be surprised if some of the variability is due to simple mistakes on the specs info.

Rocket Rons were plus 50 and minus 40 I think to recall. The Nobby Nic 2.35 Addix I just installed was 695 (instead of 720) ... a real bitch to install with the pump: first time ever I had to go to the gas station to seat it! first ride is today looking forward to test it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Generally good experience with Schwalbe. The current EVO Ron and Ralph I have on my 26er (2.25), both are under the advertised weight at 981g combined. My last Performance line Rons were also under.

But with Maxxis it's always almost everytime over the advertised weight

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just weighed my new rr liteskins and they were both under the advertised weight so well pleased!
    Kes

mtbr member
    For me, they have been pretty tight with weight tolerances. I think Schwalbe makes some of the best tires (quality and design). The hardest part about buying their tires is the price and the different types. So many combinations for one size which is good and bad. Good for options but I think they need to simplify the names of the different configurations. A few times I received the wrong tire.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    For me, they have been pretty tight with weight tolerances. I think Schwalbe makes some of the best tires (quality and design). The hardest part about buying their tires is the price and the different types. So many combinations for one size which is good and bad. Good for options but I think they need to simplify the names of the different configurations. A few times I received the wrong tire.
    From another perspective, the many choices are actually useful IMO. For example giving variant of Snakeskin and Liteskin, this is greatly applicable to riding conditions. When on a tight budget, I can still use Rocket Ron Performance series - looked the same and performed similarly - with just minimal weight penalties and less protection. But when the budget permits, of course running full EVO TLR versions
    ..if it's heavy, drill it

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwandy View Post
    From another perspective, the many choices are actually useful IMO. For example giving variant of Snakeskin and Liteskin, this is greatly applicable to riding conditions. When on a tight budget, I can still use Rocket Ron Performance series - looked the same and performed similarly - with just minimal weight penalties and less protection. But when the budget permits, of course running full EVO TLR versions
    Or getting lucking on one of those $10 per tire sale for the Evo's that Jenson and some others were running.

I ran the performance tires with tubes for a long time and they're great tires for the price if you aren't running tubeless.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Or getting lucking on one of those $10 per tire sale for the Evo's that Jenson and some others were running.

I ran the performance tires with tubes for a long time and they're great tires for the price if you aren't running tubeless.
    errr....I actually converted them to tubeless too hahaha...with 10ml extra Stan's sealant to hold them up. Normally I use 30ml each tires but for Performance line I use 40-50ml. And they takes longer to settle in, mine took 2 weeks precisely where I need to pump them up once every day and rotate them frequently until the sealant covered any porous section left
    ..if it's heavy, drill it

mtbr member
    Literally dozens of Schwalbe tires have passed through my hands. They're overweight way more often than underweight. There can be a >100g difference between 2 "identical" tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Schwalbe is all over the map on weights. Had some of the older Rocket Ron 2.4" EVO LS that were 50 grams under. All of the RR 2.25" 26' & 27.5" have all been +/- 20 grams. Nobby Nics were always over. Purchased 6 Jimbo Jims all over weight, some as much as 100 grams.
    6 or 7 Conti Race Kings over the years have all been under, some up to 40 grams.
    Every Maxxis & Michelin tire has been over.
    Some times you get lucky though. Just received this RR 27.5 X 2.6" EVO LS, claimed weight is 650 grams, actual 607 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schwalbe quoted weights-img_9481_1.jpg