Go faster!

Schmolke TLO handlebar questions

I have bought a new Schmolke TLO MTB handlebar, after I received it I noticed some imperfections on it and contacted Schmolke directly for some clarification, but still no answer for more than a week....

First there are two opposite salient lines from end to end of the handlebar, I suppose these is from the moulding. Won't this cause a higher pressure in the clamping areas (stem, shifters and brakes) damaging the handlebar structure?
    Second, schmolke doesn't use any clearcoat on the bar and I can see a lot of small holes caused from lack of resin between the carbon mesh, again can this affect the handlebar structure?

Last thing. Where can I find the red Schmolke lettering and Schmolke logos that they use on the bars? I'm thinking about sanding these lines down, polishing and aplying new stickers. Anyone tried this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schmolke TLO handlebar questions-schm-001.jpg  

Schmolke TLO handlebar questions-schm-002.jpg  

Schmolke TLO handlebar questions-schm-008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    is this 31,8?
    mine is the same as yours )

every detail, lines, micro cracks...
    635mm, 91g, and yours?

Go faster!
    This is the 25.4mm dia. version, 580mm wide. It weights 87g
    I think I got a heavy one. Your is so wide OC and only 91g...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    where you order yours?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sergio don't do any modification! My bar is the same like yours, with the same lines on the front and back. it's 100% normal! DON'T SAND THE LINES! you'll avoid your warranty!

Shifter and brake clamps doesn't affect on handlebar structure, just follow Schmolke's installation instructions.

My TLO bar 540mm an weight 73g

Enjoy your new handlebar!

Ohad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schmolke TLO handlebar questions-pa171185-large-.jpg  

Scott Scale (899) RC 6.660g

Light-Bikes Israel on Facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, ohadamirov is right. Those bars are made just the way you got them that's why they are light. Both my TLO bars are at 73g in 560 x 25.4

mtbr member
    Yes, as what the others have said, leave them alone, they are like that. My 25.4 came in at 76gm for 560.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio_pt
    I have bought a new Schmolke TLO MTB handlebar, after I received it I noticed some imperfections on it and contacted Schmolke directly for some clarification, but still no answer for more than a week....

First there are two opposite salient lines from end to end of the handlebar, I suppose these is from the moulding. Won't this cause a higher pressure in the clamping areas (stem, shifters and brakes) damaging the handlebar structure?
    Second, schmolke doesn't use any clearcoat on the bar and I can see a lot of small holes caused from lack of resin between the carbon mesh, again can this affect the handlebar structure?

Last thing. Where can I find the red Schmolke lettering and Schmolke logos that they use on the bars? I'm thinking about sanding these lines down, polishing and aplying new stickers. Anyone tried this?

I wouldn't do anything with your bar Just leave it has it is.

I have three Schmolke bars, 2 TLO and SL (for using bar ends) all oversize one's (31.8).
    TLO bar 600mm weighs in at 88g and the other TLO bar 580mm came in at 91g. The SL bar 580mm weighs in at 107g. All have imperfections on them like you said but I think that's what makes a Schmolke bar
    Also I wait about a month or 2 before you will get a reply from Schmolke
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinokio
    where you order yours?
    http://www.r2-bike.com/SCHMOLKE_1 in Germany
    The owner is a cool guy. recommended webshop

Go faster!
    OK by your experiences I think I'll leave the bar as is... The positive side is the salient lines may help to make more grip in the clamping areas.
    Imperfections a la Schmolke, makes the Schmolke ok... I would recommend them to correct this minor flaws and have a perfect product because AX Lightness is on the tail with a similar product without this small problems.
    Thanks all for the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    you know him? i send email to r2 bike two days ago and still wait for answer and i just want to buy new wheelset, but fast.

anyway, i ordered mine at schmokle web site. they asked me about weight, riding style, height, km per year... then they told me: it will be 91g and two months latter i got one - 91g

GTaholic
    Oct 2005
    Schmolke takes a premium price tag and you get a such crappy product?

Mortop is a lot cheaper and dont have these imperfections.

Clearcoat is a MUST, or you will get a yellow handlebar over time.
    Experimental Prototype

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A quickie qns:- Would be cheaper to order from schmolke directly, Or one will enjoy greater discount frm it dealer?

I am saving to get me a TLK handlebar & seapost, so looking around for cheapest option..

Anyone can helps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *XJay*
    A quickie qns:- Would be cheaper to order from schmolke directly, Or one will enjoy greater discount frm it dealer?

I am saving to get me a TLK handlebar & seapost, so looking around for cheapest option..

Anyone can helps?
    Robert is the guy from r2. I know him well. The price on this website has EU tax included so if you are ordering from outside the EU then you should get a cheaper price.
    BTW if you order from Schmolke directly they will add on EU tax and cost you alot more.
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i had a 25.4 mm bar

now it died in a bike crash ... after over a year of happy trails

you can see pic when alive :

but its big brother is arriving !!

31.8mm on the way home

removing decals is easy , no clearcoat on them ...with nails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schmolke TLO handlebar questions-dscn4654.jpg  

gone for a bike ride
    i had a bad experience ordering Schmolke 25.4 x 580 TLO bars in ud carbon

firstly i ordered the bars on 17.11.09 - they did not arrive till 03.03.10

bars weighed 91g

after i was resigned to owning hefty TLO bars i found defects in the finish

...sent the bars back for a refund

Schmolke 3k carbon is still the best in the world - but would never make another custom ud carbon order
    Last edited by culturesponge; 01-04-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinokio
    you know him? i send email to r2 bike two days ago and still wait for answer and i just want to buy new wheelset, but fast.

anyway, i ordered mine at schmokle web site. they asked me about weight, riding style, height, km per year... then they told me: it will be 91g and two months latter i got one - 91g

They answer emails quickly.. probably your mail got trashed in the spam. Try again with different address. info@r2-bike.de or rj@r2-bike.de

It's nice that Schmolke has this custom handlebar manufacturing based on weight, riding style, etc. probably that's why you got a light one compared to mine. I don't care I suppose my bar is stronger. The wall thickness is very thin, still can't believe how this will hold on in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias_Hellöre
    Schmolke takes a premium price tag and you get a such crappy product?

Mortop is a lot cheaper and dont have these imperfections.

Clearcoat is a MUST, or you will get a yellow handlebar over time.

I hope they find a way to make it better looking.. but sure it will be more expensive.
    Mortop doesn't look to be as good cracking at the stem clamping area MORTOP - Anybody Knows?

Go faster!
    eliflap do you have the picture of the dead bar? lol

culturesponge I would keep the bar, It looks much nicer and better finished than the 3k version

FIRENZE rulez !!
    eliflap do you have the picture of the dead bar? lol

culturesponge I would keep the bar, It looks much nicer and better finished than the 3k version

can do some pics on friday

not a big damage : a crack close to stem , when the forces of the fall converged

however i consider it not rideable ...

maybe can be repaired , maybe ...must i send it to a carbon expert here in Italy

gone for a bike ride
    agreed, that is why i did a custom order directly for ud carbon (to match my bike) - 25.4 x 580mm is not available off-the-shelf

it was not until i found the defects in the surface that i decided to send it back, till then i was convinced that a TLO @ 91g equates to a very strong handlebar

already refund now (thanks Jens)

never again! ...unsprung/rotational weight loss is where it really makes any difference

mtbr member
    Yup. Serg they are all like that but that Uni Directional one looks totally different just way too heavy for the money. They put minimal epoxy on them I think so there are some pits. Not sure about the big seam - perhaps where there is a seam in the bagging process under vacuum in the auto-clav.

The bars are good and you can bond them to other things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schmolke TLO handlebar questions-img_0648.jpg  

Go faster!
    What combo is that?

mtbr member
    What combo is that?

NORA stem from a few years ago. The new versions have a better clamp system.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    That combo bar/stem is quite lovely. How's it ride? What was approximate cost?
    A hardtail is forever