mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Schmolke riser bar

Just got this: TLO, 15mm riser, oversize 31.8mm, 6 degree bend, 680mm length = 100.9 grams.
    Not light by WW standards, but for an oversize riser this wide I don't think anything else is coming close to this weight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schmolke riser bar-img_0595_1.jpg  

Schmolke riser bar-img_0618_1.jpg  

Schmolke riser bar-img_0617_1.jpg  

20 years in the woods
    Feb 2008
    Wow!
    Not light you say?? It's scary light if you ask me...but being Schmolke I would give it a go
    Gajas what?

6x7=Dont Panic!
    How about posting a side view of you Ibis? Just bought an Easton Haven for my SL-R build, may have to rethink my bar choice... Is that rated for AM use? What does that Ibis stem weigh? Size?
    Last edited by TheRedMantra; 06-04-2011 at 11:08 PM.
    Herro prease

mtbr member
    wow, 100g....thats insanely light.

I just got the Easton Monkey Lite CNT, weighs 150g....and its so light its SCARY...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra View Post
    How about posting a side view of you Ibis? Just bought an Easton Haven for my SL-R build, may have to rethink my bar choice... Is that rated for AM use? What does that Ibis stem weigh? Size?
    I will try & get a side view pic up later. I will be using this for XC/AM however I'm not doing any huge drops or jumps.These bars are custom made for the rider, so If your doing more AM they can make it stronger ( which will be slightly heavier).The Ibis stem is 70mm with Ti bolts from torontocycles.com = 91 grams.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    I will try & get a side view pic up later. I will be using this for XC/AM however I'm not doing any huge drops or jumps.These bars are custom made for the rider, so If your doing more AM they can make it stronger ( which will be slightly heavier).The Ibis stem is 70mm with Ti bolts from torontocycles.com = 91 grams.
    Here you go Red.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schmolke riser bar-img_0620_1.jpg  

Schmolke riser bar-img_0619_1.jpg  

gone for a bike ride
    top bike xc71 - really looks like a blast to ride

Schmolke did a great job on your oversize bars - wide + really light ...don't forget to re-check those stem bolts after a couple of rides incase they start unwinding

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks Sponge. It really is a blast to ride up here in the Canadian Rockies, works awesome for me.

meow, meow.
    xc71, on the photos it looks as if your new handlebar has some upsweep angle to it, not just backsweep.

On the Schmolke site, it just says "6 degree bend". I thought that they meant 6 degree backsweep and no upsweep. Did you request a custom non-zero upsweep on that one?
    What tread pattern does it take to maintain grip on reality? Is a rubber queen enough?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    xc71, on the photos it looks as if your new handlebar has some upsweep angle to it, not just backsweep.

On the Schmolke site, it just says "6 degree bend". I thought that they meant 6 degree backsweep and no upsweep. Did you request a custom non-zero upsweep on that one?
    Correct, its a 15mm riser with 6 degree bend.You can order the flat bar with a 6 degree bend.

meow, meow.
    Correct, its a 15mm riser with 6 degree bend.You can order the flat bar with a 6 degree bend.
    Then the equations on the following picture must be correct:

Is it so?
    (If rise(B) is indeed nonzero, then there is some upsweep to the bar -- which is what I'm looking for, after several years of being accustomed to it on Easton carbon bars.)

Another question, please. On your handlebar, all print is in white, whereas official photos show red and white. Did you custom order it like that?
    What tread pattern does it take to maintain grip on reality? Is a rubber queen enough?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yep, that is the one I have Psycho.I custom ordered the white logo's.I have a Ritchey Superlogic 15mm riser @ 660mm wide and this bar is very similar in shape, just 25mm wider.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind me asking, what did that set up cost you? Bar, stem and bolts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what did that set up cost you? Bar, stem and bolts?
    The 70mm oversize stem is $44.95 from Ibiscycles.com. I replaced all 6 bolts with taperhead Ti bolts from torontocycles.com.It then weighed 91 grams - great dollar to weight purchase.I think the bar price is 259.00 euro's minus the 19% VAT. I say think because I had other items & my original ship date of 6 weeks (which I think is reasonable for a custom made part) turned into a 5 month gong show, so I think I got a break on pricing. Great product, but some of the worst CS you will encounter.

meow, meow.
    Yep, that is the one I have Psycho.I custom ordered the white logo's.I have a Ritchey Superlogic 15mm riser @ 660mm wide and this bar is very similar in shape, just 25mm wider.
    I have never held a Ritchey Superlogic in my hands, but looks like there's some nice upsweep to it:

If this is what they both call "15 mm rise", then I'm in for Schmolke (DH, 690 mm) riser bar.

metrotuned WoS
    But is the handlebar where you want weight savings from already weight weenie weights?!

meow, meow.
    Well, I've been riding a Schmolke DH low riser, 680 mm, since about September 2011. 680 was the only size that the Germans at r2bike had in stock, and I didn't want to wait for months. The bar is on my Transition Bank 2x1, so it sees some loads. Weight is 142 g. My weight, 70-75 kg without gear. There is noticeable flex.

Sometimes I worry that it's too light, but hey, it's Schmolke's strongest type of bar.
    It's also my reward to myself for quitting a software developer's job in favor of wrenching on bikes on my own.

FWIW, I also installed a Ritchey Superlogic bar for a 90 kg XC guy since my previous post in this thread. I haven't had the opportunity to test it, but that guy likes it very much. He is damn picky about components and does much more miles than me, although I stress components more.

mtbr member
    I've been running a bar with 126g, 740mm, since May of last year. It's at least as stiff as the Easton Monkeylite it replaced. With 95kg I'm not only slightly heavier and still there's no overall problem with flex.
    One of the best bars I've ever had, even the bend is very comfortable

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    But is the handlebar where you want weight savings from already weight weenie weights?!
    As far as Schmolke handlebars, yes. Maybe not with a lightweight chinese bar - although lots of riders use them with no issues.
    If you research Schmolke TLO handle bars you will find they use T1000 carbon fiber, everyone else uses T700. The T1000 has 30% more tensile strength than T700. The catch is its double the money. They have all their test info on the website. Several World Champions have run TLO bars/seatposts. You won't find anyone who's been making carbon bicycle parts longer than Stefan Schmolke.

mtbr member
    The 70mm oversize stem is $44.95 from Ibiscycles.com. I replaced all 6 bolts with taperhead Ti bolts from torontocycles.com.
    I have an Ibis stem and have enjoyed great service from torontocycles.com. What are the bolt specs? I'd like to know what to order for myself... Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The 4 handle bar clamp bolts are M5 x 17mm.
    My 2 stem bolts are M6 x 15 mm, however I think Ibis changed the stem bolts to M5 recently. Just check them to the handle bar bolts for size. He has specific Ti stem bolts with washers installed or you can go taper head Ti bolts & get the special stem washers to add to them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I said it before.. sweeeet ride man!