UK Biker

Scandium Frames Warranty?

Does anybody know why Scandium frames were only given a limited 2 year warranty compared to 5 years for normal Aluminium.

I noticed that the RM warranty seems to cover 5 years for the Vertex SC and the Yeti ARC is 5 years (does the ARC still have Scandy tubes?).

Cheers,

Fluff

jonny_mac

i dont

think the arc still uses scandium. as the envelope of light weight is pushed mfg's
    dont want to give long warranties because the frames are not as bullet proof. eventually
    warranties will dwindle away. motocross bikes are sold as is, no warranty whatsoever.

shaved yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny_mac
    think the arc still uses scandium. as the envelope of light weight is pushed mfg's
    dont want to give long warranties because the frames are not as bullet proof. eventually
    warranties will dwindle away. motocross bikes are sold as is, no warranty whatsoever.
    a few of last year's arcs had Sc top tubes, but they've gone back to the aluminium.

aka 'Grover'
    i was talking to paul rowney at one of our national rounds just after i bought my '04 arc. he said the top and down tubes were scandium. the reason for the seatpost not being scandium was that it kept failing at the bb weld and only saved 9 grams, the reason for the chain and seat stays not being scandium was that they couldn't make looptails out of scandium,

cya, john.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My '04 ARC had scandium

Top and down tubes. Had a big EASTON scandium sticker on it.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Because manufactuers don't use technology like this to make bikes stronger, they use it to make bikes lighter.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    scandium doesnt have nearly the same fatigue resistance as aluminum. after a couple of years, it doesnt have the same integrity as it did before. scandium frames are just as strong as aluminum frames; theyre thinner but the alloy is stronger

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Scandium vs Ti...?

Which is stiffer?

I have grown to loathe flex - especially in the chain stays.

I just got my Salsa Caballero. Very nice scandium, but the geometry seems best suited for those with short torso and long legs. Will have to return.

Now, I'm debating between the Rocky Mountain Team SC or the Dean Ti lite.

Anyone out there who has ridden both scandium and ti?

Thanks.

UK Biker

Lower Fatigue Resistance?

Well according to a number of sources scandium enhanced Alu frames have increased fatigue resistance!
    http://www.scandium.org/Sc-Al.html
    http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com...tory50.content

Later

F

Illuminati

We the people ...

I've owned both scandium & ti. I'd say its down to the framebuild rather than pure material.

my 04 yeti arc was surprisingly supple DH, whilst I have 1 ti hardtail that feels harsher DH than the arc did & another that feels a lot smoother.

I think you'd need to get propper test rides & decide for yourself

scandy might be stronger in other applications. scandy bike frames tend to be pushing the reduced weight envelope & arent a great reflection of the material. esp regarding the yeti arc which only (as mentioned) has scandy top & downtubes.

would be interesting to have test results for equal wall thickness identical frames. 1 made of scandy 1 another level of alu & compare relevant data.

yeti have recently upped the ARC warranty. I personally think 5yrs for a 3.1lb frame that allows both 80 & 100mm forks is pretty respectable

chips & bier

Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by scant
    I'd say its down to the framebuild rather than pure material.
    In essence, material alone says very little about ride quality or the life expectancy of the frame. I've seen more fatigued titanium frames over the years than aluminium ones.

The combination of material properties PLUS dimensions of the used material (i.e. tubing i/o diameters, ovalisation, tube lengths, etc.) determine ride quality, rubustness, and in the end fatigue life.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by full_xtr_racer
    scandium doesnt have nearly the same fatigue resistance as aluminum. after a couple of years, it doesnt have the same integrity as it did before. scandium frames are just as strong as aluminum frames; theyre thinner but the alloy is stronger
    Actually that's false. Scandium enhanced aluminium alloys have WAY better fatigue strength and durability than conventional aluminium alloys. The problem is nobody is using the higher strength and durability of the alloy to make a longer lasting frame. They're using it to make lighter frames. Furthermore the use of Sc alloys in bicycle frames is relatively new and manufacturers are usually hesitant to give long warranties to frames with new materials they haven't had much experience in using. The original Rocky Mountain Thin Air for example, circa 1994, which was their first mass-production ultralight Al frame using Easton Program tubing had basically no warranty at all. Manitou Frames which also used Easton Program tubing only had 3 year limited warranties. If it failed due to a defect in the first year, you got a free frame. 2nd year you got a frame at 1/3 the original price, and 3rd year it was 2/3 the original price. After three years you can obviously figure out what the replacement frame price became. Sc alloys have only been available to the western world (let alone the bicycle industry) for about three years now.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

I like bikes :)
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Actually that's false. Scandium enhanced aluminium alloys have WAY better fatigue strength and durability than conventional aluminium alloys. The problem is nobody is using the higher strength and durability of the alloy to make a longer lasting frame. They're using it to make lighter frames. Furthermore the use of Sc alloys in bicycle frames is relatively new and manufacturers are usually hesitant to give long warranties to frames with new materials they haven't had much experience in using. The original Rocky Mountain Thin Air for example, circa 1994, which was their first mass-production ultralight Al frame using Easton Program tubing had basically no warranty at all. Manitou Frames which also used Easton Program tubing only had 3 year limited warranties. If it failed due to a defect in the first year, you got a free frame. 2nd year you got a frame at 1/3 the original price, and 3rd year it was 2/3 the original price. After three years you can obviously figure out what the replacement frame price became. Sc alloys have only been available to the western world (let alone the bicycle industry) for about three years now.
    well i guess you all proved me wrong... oh well!