Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scale for whole bike...

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  2melow 
#1 ·
Flirting on the edge of weightweenieitis, what are the popular choices for weighing the whole frigging bike?

The digital bathroom scale has always been "good enough" for me -- for the most part one pound accuracy is all I've desired -- but currently my Buzz Bomb is getting the treatment (rims, hub, crank + BB, seatpost, pedals) and my curiousity has got the better of me. I'd like to have a ballpark idea of where the weight is going with each change, without having to resort to my Escali and a spreadsheet of components.

So what are you guys using and what kind of accuracy do you get?

#5 ·
There was a new company called Feedback Sports at Interbike with a sweet little digital scale, www.feedbacksports.com
Has a rod that you can clamp into a workstand, nice! Supposed to be pretty precise too.
They are expecting to get a big shipment of them in this week. They will be selling direct through their website, and Ultimate will be distributing them also. They are both here in CO, so I'll try to get some asap when available and will post some more info.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

#6 ·
funny thing about that scale is its actually sold under multiple brand names and in multiple shells by the actual maker in china. I got one at a princess auto for $39.97 cdn about 9 months ago. Exact same specs/features/switches/display.

#7 ·
aussie_yeti said:
topeak or zefal, can't rememver which, make a very nice work stand with very accurate scales built in. you should check it out.
Topeak, and no, it's a piece of work. Their nifty scale isn't exactly waterproof, so the stand isn't useful for bike washing or rainy day activity.

#11 ·
Not what I'm aiming for, but entirely possible. In all reality I'd be happy to crack 30 pounds with the Buzz Bomb, but that hasn't been the goal of any of the new kit.

donkekus said:
A light bike with one of your hubs?

Let me know how it turns out!

#12 ·
Ultimate Support/Feedback Sports Scale

Ventanarama said:
They will be selling direct through their website, and Ultimate will be distributing them also. They are both here in CO, so I'll try to get some asap when available and will post some more info.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
Ultimate Support/Feedback Sports Scale

Larry does have the inside info. The Alpine Digital scale will be available direct through www.feedbacksports.com or any bike shop can buy it from ULTIMATE direct. We will be the exclusive distributor and hope to have a red version as well by Feb.

I have been testing several prototypes since Interbike and the scale is very addicting. It will fit in any repair stand clamping head (Ultimate/Park/Minoura/Pedros, etc.) as well as can be hung from a nail/rafter/hook etc. in your basement/shop/garage. The scale has been put through it's paces with our sales reps, their friends, their friends friends, and it is so useful for things non-bike as well like weighting backpacks, boots, bindings, backcountry equipment, etc.

Here are some specs:
Product Features:
·Digital scale specifically designed to weigh bicycles, wheels, backpacks, snowshoes, backcountry gear and any other outdoor sports equipment where shaving weight equals an elevation in performance.
·Innovative design enables scale to be clamped into any bicycle repair stand.
·Top loop allows scale to be hung from a ceiling hook or other hardware.
·10 g / 0.02 lb display resolution
·Accurate to within 0.005 X Actual
·25 kg / 55 lb maximum capacity (50g minimum)
·Rugged shock-resistant housing
·Vinyl coated hook protects item being weighed
·Easy to read LCD display
·Zero/Tare function
·Kg/lb selection
·Auto shut-off saves power
·Four AAA batteries included

Finally, some pics in my garage. Note I found out the hard way that my new Look frame is a bit over the "claimed" 1350 grams.

If you need further info, please let me know.

Thanks, Brett
brettr@ussbike.com
Ultimate Support
www.ussbike.com (images/product not on the website yet)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.