Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saddles? Something light weight but also soft on the bottom.

9K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  raganwald 
#1 ·
I am not a total weight weenie but I'm trying to keep my parts as light as possible. I bought a selle SLR xp which is advertised at only 160g. I finally got a chance to try it on one of my bikes since my light weight build isn't complete. I found it to be the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had. Way to too hard on my cheeks. Is their a better alternative that will still save weight while being a bit softer? Sorry I'm a soft a$$.

#4 ·
I hated the SLR XP but like the regular SLR, the one that says 135g on it but it really weighs around 140. I have two SLR saddles and one Fizik Tundra 2. I like all of them.
Also, with any saddle but especially lightweight ones good (great) bib shorts are a must.

#6 ·
I've had two different Selle Italia saddles and hated both of them. Both had practically no flex in the shell. My recommendation would be to try Specialized or Fizik. Try out (or buy used) a Fizik Aliante, Arione, Gobi, Antares, etc. or a Spec. Avatar, Phenom, etc. and find what style of saddle you are comfortable with. You can find reasonably priced Ti railed versions at 180g - 260g. My Antares with Ti rails is only 185g. If you want to splurge the carbon railed versions are really light but pretty expensive.

#7 ·
I loved the carbon railed Phenom on my last bike, was around 190g if I remember right. I currently ride the hollow ti railed version of the phenom at 260g+ and its not as comfy, likely due to less flex in the rails.

#11 · (Edited)
Audio equipment Technology Line Font Black

Padding does not = comfort. Flex and the ability of the saddle to keep the sit bones high enough to avoid pressure spots = comfort and this is what the McFk saddle does very well. 62 grams and the most comfortable saddle I have been on.

#12 ·
It's difficult because saddle comfort is such a personal thing - everyone's arse is a different shape!

Have you tried a Spesh Toupe? I find them very comfortable - had an SLR XP and hated the thing, just didn't get on with it. The Toupe's have a cut-out channel down the middle which eleviates pressure and also adds a bit of flex. I have the cheaper chromo railed version on my winter singlespeed and the carbon railed pro on my weenie bike. Both seem comfortable - the carbon is probably a bit more so due to the flex - although that could be wishful thinking as it cost me twice as much :skep:

Carbon Pro:

Chromo Expert:

#15 ·
It's difficult because saddle comfort is such a personal thing - everyone's arse is a different shape!

Have you tried a Spesh Toupe? I find them very comfortable - had an SLR XP and hated the thing, just didn't get on with it. The Toupe's have a cut-out channel down the middle which eleviates pressure and also adds a bit of flex. I have the cheaper chromo railed version on my winter singlespeed and the carbon railed pro on my weenie bike. Both seem comfortable - the carbon is probably a bit more so due to the flex - although that could be wishful thinking as it cost me twice as much :skep:
I have two of the older Chromo-railed Toupe saddles, the generation that uses as little padding as your carbon-railed version. They're awesome for a light all-around saddle, but I just had a crash last weekend on the cross bike because the rear tabs caught my shorts when I was pumping over bumps on some singletrack. -->Yes, I was riding my cross bike in baggies on mountain bike trails, it happens.

HOWEVER, if you take off the rear tabs like roaringboy did with his Chromo Expert (you can see them to the right of the scale), then it becomes a saddle with a decent rear profile.

#13 ·
Use to ride SLR, then tried the SLR XP Flow (couldn't get along with the flow) - tried different saddles from Fizik, San Marco, etc.. finally ended up on Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon rail (150 grams) 148mm width (riding it on a 29er FS) - working for me ...

As others have said your butt is special so make a deal with your LBS and try a bunch and find something that you like..

#17 ·
I'm loving my WTB Devo SLT. Not quite weenie material at 215g, but for me the saddle is one place where I'll sacrifice some weight for comfort, and the Devo is a brilliant balance for me. I was on a Pure V SLT before, and was shocked at how comfortable the Devo was while being lighter and MUCH thinner than the Pure. Allows me to move around and behind the saddle so much easier. YMMV though. One rider's saddle can be another's torture device.

#24 ·
I just picked off a Pro Griffon Carbon AF 142 for $45 on ebay. It is 155 grams. I was shocked at how comfortable it is. It is mounted on a Syntacce Hiflex post. I have never been so comfortable on my bike. I think the Pro Series may be flying under the radar. They can be found for very reasonable prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.