Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Saddles? Something light weight but also soft on the bottom.

I am not a total weight weenie but I'm trying to keep my parts as light as possible. I bought a selle SLR xp which is advertised at only 160g. I finally got a chance to try it on one of my bikes since my light weight build isn't complete. I found it to be the most uncomfortable seat I've ever had. Way to too hard on my cheeks. Is their a better alternative that will still save weight while being a bit softer? Sorry I'm a soft a$$.

ups and downs
    For anything with comfy padding (thicker and stiffer to spread the sit bone weight out a bit) like a Selle Italia Flute Ti is going to be around 220-240gms. That's pretty much going to be the cost of comfy, an extra 3 ounces.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2013

Saddles? Something light weight but also soft on the bottom.

I love my San Marco Rolls Ti but it's not light (290 grams I think) and you've gotta have the right rail clamps (side clamps won't work). It's an old world classic..

mtbr member
    I hated the SLR XP but like the regular SLR, the one that says 135g on it but it really weighs around 140. I have two SLR saddles and one Fizik Tundra 2. I like all of them.
    Also, with any saddle but especially lightweight ones good (great) bib shorts are a must.

ups and downs
    The Selle Italia SLR XC has a bit more, and a bit firmer padding than the SLR XP.

Universal Cycles -- Selle Italia SLR XC Saddle 2011
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've had two different Selle Italia saddles and hated both of them. Both had practically no flex in the shell. My recommendation would be to try Specialized or Fizik. Try out (or buy used) a Fizik Aliante, Arione, Gobi, Antares, etc. or a Spec. Avatar, Phenom, etc. and find what style of saddle you are comfortable with. You can find reasonably priced Ti railed versions at 180g - 260g. My Antares with Ti rails is only 185g. If you want to splurge the carbon railed versions are really light but pretty expensive.
    Bamboo is real.

mtbr member
    I loved the carbon railed Phenom on my last bike, was around 190g if I remember right. I currently ride the hollow ti railed version of the phenom at 260g+ and its not as comfy, likely due to less flex in the rails.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Ritchey WCS Biomax.

MaLóŒ˘*size=
    I've had a few slr and also hated them. Now I love both my fizik antare and fizik aliante. The carbon versions are prettry light and they have plenty of padding both of them, the aliante is quite a sofa.

mtbr member
    I settled on the WTB Rocket-V. The SLT is advertised at 215g. Not exactly weenie territory, but not a bad compromise for all-day comfort.

SUBLIM8er
    Name:  saddle.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  3.7 KB

Padding does not = comfort. Flex and the ability of the saddle to keep the sit bones high enough to avoid pressure spots = comfort and this is what the McFk saddle does very well. 62 grams and the most comfortable saddle I have been on.
    Last edited by Axis II; 06-15-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    It's difficult because saddle comfort is such a personal thing - everyone's arse is a different shape!

Have you tried a Spesh Toupe? I find them very comfortable - had an SLR XP and hated the thing, just didn't get on with it. The Toupe's have a cut-out channel down the middle which eleviates pressure and also adds a bit of flex. I have the cheaper chromo railed version on my winter singlespeed and the carbon railed pro on my weenie bike. Both seem comfortable - the carbon is probably a bit more so due to the flex - although that could be wishful thinking as it cost me twice as much

Carbon Pro:

Chromo Expert:

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Use to ride SLR, then tried the SLR XP Flow (couldn't get along with the flow) - tried different saddles from Fizik, San Marco, etc.. finally ended up on Bontrager Evoke RXL Carbon rail (150 grams) 148mm width (riding it on a 29er FS) - working for me ...

As others have said your butt is special so make a deal with your LBS and try a bunch and find something that you like..

mtbr member
    I'm not recommending any specific saddle but Prologo is another high quality brand worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    It's difficult because saddle comfort is such a personal thing - everyone's arse is a different shape!

Have you tried a Spesh Toupe? I find them very comfortable - had an SLR XP and hated the thing, just didn't get on with it. The Toupe's have a cut-out channel down the middle which eleviates pressure and also adds a bit of flex. I have the cheaper chromo railed version on my winter singlespeed and the carbon railed pro on my weenie bike. Both seem comfortable - the carbon is probably a bit more so due to the flex - although that could be wishful thinking as it cost me twice as much
    I have two of the older Chromo-railed Toupe saddles, the generation that uses as little padding as your carbon-railed version. They're awesome for a light all-around saddle, but I just had a crash last weekend on the cross bike because the rear tabs caught my shorts when I was pumping over bumps on some singletrack. -->Yes, I was riding my cross bike in baggies on mountain bike trails, it happens.

HOWEVER, if you take off the rear tabs like roaringboy did with his Chromo Expert (you can see them to the right of the scale), then it becomes a saddle with a decent rear profile.

mtbr member

Re: Saddles? Something light weight but also soft on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by blackgriffen_1 View Post
    I have two of the older Chromo-railed Toupe saddles, the generation that uses as little padding as your carbon-railed version. They're awesome for a light all-around saddle, but I just had a crash last weekend on the cross bike because the rear tabs caught my shorts when I was pumping over bumps on some singletrack. -->Yes, I was riding my cross bike in baggies on mountain bike trails, it happens.

HOWEVER, if you take off the rear tabs like roaringboy did with his Chromo Expert (you can see them to the right of the scale), then it becomes a saddle with a decent rear profile.
    Sharp eyes. I actually put them back on now. Can't say I've had a problem with them catching at all and I always wear baggies. Tried them on and off the expert and just left them on the pro from the get-go. I think they look a bit unfinished without them.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I like the the WTB Silverado and at 170g it is definitely a comfy saddle for the weight.

Silverado | Wilderness Trail Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm loving my WTB Devo SLT. Not quite weenie material at 215g, but for me the saddle is one place where I'll sacrifice some weight for comfort, and the Devo is a brilliant balance for me. I was on a Pure V SLT before, and was shocked at how comfortable the Devo was while being lighter and MUCH thinner than the Pure. Allows me to move around and behind the saddle so much easier. YMMV though. One rider's saddle can be another's torture device.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Axis II View Post
    Name:  saddle.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  3.7 KB

Padding does not = comfort. Flex and the ability of the saddle to keep the sit bones high enough to avoid pressure spots = comfort and this is what the McFk saddle does very well. 62 grams and the most comfortable saddle I have been on.
    120mm wide? That's a butt plug, not a saddle.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

I enjoy the specialized phenom pro. Had two in two and a half years

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I just got a forte xfr from performance. 223g, 145 width, large relief in the center. And it was only $60 on sale.

mtbr member

I'm considering the wtb pure v race with titanium rails. Just doing a little more research before I bite.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    My Brooks B17 is only 510g.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My saddle is full carbon but has a thin layer of padding and only 140g. Pretty sure it costs less than $100 from Merekbike on ebay. It is very flexy and surprisingly far more comfortable than my factory saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I just picked off a Pro Griffon Carbon AF 142 for $45 on ebay. It is 155 grams. I was shocked at how comfortable it is. It is mounted on a Syntacce Hiflex post. I have never been so comfortable on my bike. I think the Pro Series may be flying under the radar. They can be found for very reasonable prices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast