mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite TI vs SLR XC

I was loking for a light weight saddle and saw these 2 Selle Italia models mentioned in separate threads, does anyone have a preference of one over the other and for what reason? I believe the SLR XC weighs 10+ grams less then the Flite, I also know it's best to try on one for size but do not have any in stock at my local dealers...thanks in advance.

ups and downs
    Weight aside, saddle shape is a very personal adaptation, so this is one of those things where Your Mileage May Vary. I like the Flite Ti but that's because I've ridden them long enough that my butt seems to have evolved along with that saddle shape.

Freedom Isn't Free
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Weight aside, saddle shape is a very personal adaptation
    Three places I won't compromise for WW'ism...hands, feet, and a$$. I love my Specialized Phenom SL. Maybe a little "heavy" for WWs, but man is it comfy. I often forget it is even there.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I have both the Selle Italia SLR XP and XC and love em both. pretty much the same thing in terms of fit/dimensions except the XC has so called kevlar which i suppose in theory will withstand more abuse if in a crash....whatever, they both work great and are my new favorite saddles with the edge given to the XC over the XP anyway

I cant comment on the flite however but give a thumbs up to the SLR XC

mtbr member
    I love my SLR, I've tried a Flite also and wasn't as happy with it, but saddles are quite a personal thing. Given the SLR is lighter though, why not try that and if you don't like it get a Flite?
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You didn't ask, but I have to say the San Marco Aspide Saddle (or some variation) works for me. I purchased one a couple of years ago, and it has been great! I can't remember the exact model, but it was under 200 grams and had a reasonable price.

Personal preference is true... My friends call the saddle 'The Plank', but hey... it's what you get use to. I've ridden 100 mile races on it, and at the end of the day it is the least of my worries.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks everyone...
    San Marco looks very similar to the SLR at around 140gms
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=156

aka Jesse Palmer
    Wrong!
    The correct answer is WTB.

From personal experience I would rather ride a 24hour solo on a WTB saddle than 10 minutes on the SLR. That San Marco might be better, but the SLR was obviously designed as a taint sanding device rather than a saddle

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    WTB is an a$$ hatchet for me.

I have a SLR (road version), SLR XP, and an SLR XC. XP and XC have the same amount of padding, as far as I can tell, but the XC is a bit more durable. Both have more padding than the standard SLR, obviously. The SLR shape fits me really well, so I ride them on all my bikes. XP for 'cross, XC for mtb, SLR for road.
    Can't really recommend SLR over the Flite, because I don't know how saddles fit you. Try both. Try the SLR first, because its' lighter