On your left.
    Jan 2004

which saddle (see list inside)

WTB Rocket V Stealth: $60 (Supergo deal), 215g
    Sella San Marco Aspide FX: $100 (pepperoncini color, Performance), 150g
    Sella Italia Flight TT: $120 (online), 175g
    Sella Italia SLR XP: $90 (online), 165g

I already bought and measured the WTB, so that weight is accurate. The other weights have a bit of margin, because, well, that's just how I do it. The Flight looks like it will be comfortable, the Aspide and SLR don't, but that doesn't mean much and is why I'm posting the question. I currently ride a Supergo Aerion Prolite which I don't like. This new saddle is for my race bike.

So, I want something light, but also comfortable and won't cause numbness or discomfort such that I HAVE to get out of the saddle to facilitate circulation.
    M

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I found the aspide gives you a bit of numbness, the shape just doesnt work for me. Flite is very comfortable, SLR is ok but I dont think you get less numbness with the extra padding.

Another suggestion. San Marco Era compostite. 128g and plenty of padding. I love mine to death.

Upgrade-itis
    Nov 2004

Get the flamejob seat :)

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    I bought this from Performance a while back and I love it. Its claimed weight is 140g btw, and mine was 141g. Really comfortable, and stylin' too

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    The saddle you have now.. is it this one?

If so, then i would remove the SLR from the list as this is quite similiar in shape to the SLR.

I personally didn't care much for my WTB rocket saddle, but saddles are very personal, and what I don't like, you may love.

mtbr member

Cheap SLR XP

A guy from singapore just had some slr xp's for $62 with free shipping world wide on ebay! The auction has just finished but I have seen them on there a few times from him. Bargain if you want one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

On your left.
    Jan 2004

different but the same

Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    The saddle you have now.. is it this one?

If so, then i would remove the SLR from the list as this is quite similiar in shape to the SLR.

I personally didn't care much for my WTB rocket saddle, but saddles are very personal, and what I don't like, you may love.
    That looks like the team race, mine is the prolite which has a bit more drop in front and more kickup in back. I think I'm leaning towards the Flight TT (of course the most expensive one!). I like the nose shape of the Flight and that's where comfort is most crititcal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004

I already bought and measured the WTB, so that weight is accurate. The other weights have a bit of margin, because, well, that's just how I do it. The Flight looks like it will be comfortable, the Aspide and SLR don't, but that doesn't mean much and is why I'm posting the question. I currently ride a Supergo Aerion Prolite which I don't like. This new saddle is for my race bike.

So, I want something light, but also comfortable and won't cause numbness or discomfort such that I HAVE to get out of the saddle to facilitate circulation.
    I am extremely happy with my new Rocket V Stealth saddle. It is as comfortable as my Laser V Stealth on my trailbike to my surprise.....but as bike_freak indicated, saddles are extremely personal which explains the variability in folks' responses.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

colorado cyclist has slk on sale

i have ridden on the selle italia slk model for the last two years on both of my bikes and love them but saddles are a personal thing.. they are on sale at colorado cyclist..

aka 'Grover'
    i've ridden all but the san marco. i used the wtb for one ride and ditched it in preferance for a flite tt. i rode that for a year until i bent it (i'm a 60kg xc racer - not happy) and was fairly happy, no complaints. that is until i put the slr xp on which i've just bought. i've done about 5 races on it and can't understand how i found the flite tt comfortable. it is very hard.

if you've currently got a saddle like the slr though then you're probably very different to me meaning you'll probably like the wtb.

cya, john.

On your left.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    i've ridden all but the san marco. i used the wtb for one ride and ditched it in preferance for a flite tt. i rode that for a year until i bent it (i'm a 60kg xc racer - not happy) and was fairly happy, no complaints. that is until i put the slr xp on which i've just bought. i've done about 5 races on it and can't understand how i found the flite tt comfortable. it is very hard.

if you've currently got a saddle like the slr though then you're probably very different to me meaning you'll probably like the wtb.

cya, john.
    Please clarify - do you like the SLR XP or not? BTW, this saddle will be for a Yeti ASR.
    M

mtbr member

I like my Aspide fx, it has a reasonable amount of padding and the rails flex a bit too. It does get a little uncomfortable if I'm on it too long - for example, a few miles on the road followed by a 1000' climb on a non-technical trail, where I'm seated the whole time. Under most riding conditions where I'm off the saddle once in a while it's fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [I'm very happy with my WTB Rocket V Stealth, and although I can't compare it to the specific models you're listing, I can tell you it's way better than my old Selle Italia Filght and my Bontrager Ti (both about the same weight as the WTB).

Jm.
    mtbr member

I weighed my Selle Italia Flite TT a few weeks ago.
    It was somewhere in between 170 and 174g, I forget the number exactly. Claimed weight is 165. It's ok, but if it was curved a bit more it might be more comfortable. It seems to be a pretty good saddle so far.

You are looking at the wrong catagory of saddles if you are concerned much with the comfort and circulation. There ain't much padding on any of these. If you are lucky maybe one will be decently shaped to your arse, but don't count on it, and if these things are truly important you should be looking at saddles with more padding and better shapes.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

aka 'Grover'
    Please clarify - do you like the SLR XP or not? BTW, this saddle will be for a Yeti ASR.
    i love the slr xp, the claimed weight is 165, mine weighs 160 straight out of the box.

if you're happy to go to the weight of 210 grams and want something to stop the numbness you're experiencing then have a look at the slr trans am gel flow. i've got it on my road bike and i love it aswell.

i think it must be just that the slr shape is nice, but the cutout certainly helps some more.

cya, john.

newbie boobie.
    Just to add:

I really like WTB saddles... I am a skinny guy, and any added padding is a good thing, since I don't bring much of my own to the table...

You add some weight, definitely, but I also think you add some comfort.

But, your best bet is to go to a LBS and ride a couple... they are very personal;./
    It ain't easy being human.

mtbr member

I can

Only speak from my own experiences... But I have used the SLR (Ti), and Flight TT quiet extensively. The WTB Rocket V I have had a quick ride on.

SLR: This has to be THE MOST comfortable saddle I have riden, I **** you not!!! It seems that the flex in the shell, the narrow profile and minimal padding all make the ride more cofortable for me. I come of a Specilize BG saddle before this, and after the first ride I was hooked!

Flight TT: It looks comfortable, but for me it seems not quiet right, the shell is quiet hard in comparison with the SLR, not to mention a quiet a different shape. I didnt like this saddle at all. Though I know others have used it to great success, and love thires'.

Rocket V: I rode on this saddle during a brake between laps at a recent enduro, the Kona 24hr, down here in Vic, Australia- on a mates Blur. This saddle was just plain uncomfortable to me. It was quiet soft, unlike the Flight- but it was just a gawd awful shape. Mind you this is after doing 6x 18km laps, of a very rough course, on my SLR equiped hardtail :-)

As every one has said, there is no real way of knowing unless you try them all. if you dont liek the shape of one, go to a completely different shape later on.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    I agree with most of what was said above... The RocketV is too soft for me, the Flight takes a very long time to break in. SLR is good from the get-go. The Aspide is really light, but also takes a long, long time to properly break in and is still not very comfortable ( I use one on my road ride). Of those listed, I recommend the SLR, believe it or not. Also recommended is the Fizik Aliante, which apparently lost some weight this year and is very, very comfortable for any amount of time under pretty much any conditions. Plus, break in time for the Aliante is about an hour.

Anyway, good luck

HTF
    A hardtail is forever

Trail rider and racer
    SLR Hands down. Granted I have not tried the San Marco I think I can safely say that you will not be disappointed with the SLR - It looks small and perhaps lacking in comfort, but it isn't. It's perfect IMHO.
    Trev!