amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

S-Works Stumpjumper Single Speed

S-Works Stumpjumper Single Speed-photo-11-.jpg

19.76 lbs as seen here.

I turned it SS as I cracked the rear seatstay pretty badly in a race. Don't want to shred it hard (for fear of a full break) so its now a "fun" bike. Painfully expensive, but fun nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (11).jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	839253

19.76 lbs as seen here.

I turned it SS as I cracked the rear seatstay pretty badly in a race. Don't want to shred it hard (for fear of a full break) so its now a "fun" bike. Painfully expensive, but fun nonetheless.
    So you're riding it with a crack in the frame? Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Any chance of a warranty frame?

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Specialized offered me their crash replacement deal. Something like 10% over cost for a new frame. Not a bad deal at all actually.

And yes, riding it with the crack. But given its location, and the type of crack, there would be more warning signs before failure. So Im still shredding it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Crack can easily be repaired. In Canada we have Roberts :: roberts composites ::
    He charges about $300 and you can barely see the repairs. I fixed my own with carbon TOW(ebay) and epoxy resin. Rob tells me to get 4 layers at the break and taper it from there. Been riding mine for 3 years since repair no problem.

amd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sadly this one can't be. Its in the corner where the chain and seat stays meet. I took it to a carbon guy, he said no. Asked calfee, they said no. Oh well. Here's to hoping it stays solid!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    To avoid future trouble you can always wrap the affected area with some carbon fiber cloth, is actually really easy to do..

Bicycle Addict
    So why didn't Specialized give you a new frame? Assuming you're the original owner, you paid a lot for that frame, and it looks like one of the more recent models.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carve99 View Post
    Crack can easily be repaired. In Canada we have Roberts :: roberts composites ::
    He charges about $300 and you can barely see the repairs. I fixed my own with carbon TOW(ebay) and epoxy resin. Rob tells me to get 4 layers at the break and taper it from there. Been riding mine for 3 years since repair no problem.
    This is a great reference - thanks! I'll keep it in mind - Canadian too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I got this Trek Madone from a friend for free after he loose a pedal and land on the toptube.
    S-Works Stumpjumper Single Speed-img_5069-l.jpg

I simply sand the surface down a little, to improve on bonding and also to make the patch more seamless
    Name:  IMG_5070-M.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  50.0 KB

Another free frame with a more extreme case, the chainstay was broken completely and a piece of the titanium was missing..

Same thing a grind the surface (almost scar it) to improve bonding and a apply two layers of carbon, that was 5 years ago and after many miles still works fine..
    S-Works Stumpjumper Single Speed-img_5074-m.jpg

Oh and I'm almost 240 pound and I use to ride this bike on difficult trails before a got my 29er..

mtbr member
    Riding SS will totally put less stress on that frame :/
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Man, that thing is a ticking time bomb. You don't want to shread it hard, so you made it a single speed? I put more hurt on my single speed than I ever did a geared bike. Your a complete idiot if you continue to ride that thing. I'd imagine with you throwing the coin at an S-Works, you've been doing this for awhile. Come on, man!
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Find an auto body shop that works on old vettes, they'll have a good fiberglass guy, will add 3 pounds of glass to that frame lol
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.