Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rotaz hubs

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Rotaz hubs

Has anyone tried to take these apart? They are definitely WW hubs. I figure if anyone has ripped them apart, I would find them here.

The rear comes apart just by tugging on the end caps, but I can't figure out the front. I suspect the ends just pop off the front as well, but I thought I would ask before I upped the force and risked damaging the thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am curious about these hubs too. They go for $150 on fleebay and have a claimed weight (pair) of 380 grams. I figure at $/gram, thats a pretty good deal for a set of hubs, I just have concerns about the quality/durability/serviceability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not answering your question, but I think these are the same as the A2Z hubs.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty sure these are American Classic knock offs. The outside looks identical, and the bearings are a non-standard size that are also used by the AC hubs. Endurobearings.com carries them, so service won't be an issue.

The total weight listed for the Rotaz hubs was within 3 grams. I guess they shaved some weight off the AC hub design somewhere. Hopefully, they didn't use weaker materials to save weight. I've had them all apart, and I didn't see anything scary. The freewheel has 6 pawl pairs, and the ratchet looks like some kind of hardened nylon. It's very quiet and smooth.

My only complaint is the front bearings have a 15mm ID which means I can't make some new end caps and use them with the stiffer 20mm TA. I guess the Fox TA would fit, but I don't have one to play with.

I have these laced to some ZTR 355's, but haven't had them on a bike yet. It will be a couple more weeks before I have all the parts for the bike I'm putting them on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adept1
    Not answering your question, but I think these are the same as the A2Z hubs.
    I think you're right. I was actually looking for the A2Z hubs on Google when I ran across a reference to these. I'm still convinced they are AC knock offs, or at least a very close derivative.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wow belljeff, thanks. that wheel setup you described sounds really similar to what i would like to try- Rotaz hubs on a Stan's Arch with Wheelsmith 14-17-14 spokes. I did some more looking over the past day and found out that Rotaz, A2Z, AC, and WTB are all produced by the Chin Haur company in Tiawan. i looked a lot yesterday and i could be mixing something up, so don't take that for gospel.

I would like to hear how your hubs hold up- some other threads on mtbr have indicated that they do a pretty good job.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'll try to remember to update this thread in a couple of months. If something breaks, I'll update it sooner

CTB
    mtbr member
    Any updates here with the A2Z or Rotaz builds with the Stans rims? Strangely similar to what I'm thinking about doing. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    They're were still working fine two weeks ago, but I haven't had much time on that bike lately. I changed the tires to Race Kings and one refused to stay inflated for more than a couple of days. The tires were muddy when I mounted them which is probably the reason. I've just been too busy to do anything about it.

I think I have maybe 6 hours riding time on them, all general XC. They felt smooth and stiff, no complaints at all. I did read in another thread the Rotaz rear hub has a problem with the freewheel ratchet slipping. The ratchet is some kind of plastic, maybe Teflon, pressed into the hub body, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. It hasn't happened to mine, though.

mtbr member
    Should you open up the hub again, could you make some pictures of the mechanism and seals? I'm really curious how durable these hubs are...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm in the same boat. Interested in purchasing these hubs to build a light 29er wheelset, but a little worried about freehub quality. I read in older posts from a couple of years ago about freebub problems. On the ebay page it says the hub has a new freehub design with more ratchets. What to do??? Does anyone have any of these hubs they have used long term?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    A friend of mine recently bought a set of these. We pulled them apart to see what is inside.

Shell is almost exactly the same as my newer american classics. The machining is a bit more extensive on the AC at some parts - namely the disc mount is relieved a bit more on the AC. Shape is identical. Absolutely made in the same factory on the same tooling.

The cassette body is aluminum with 27 detents in the ratchet. I thought the ratchet part looked like steel, or something harder than aluminum, but perhaps the other poster is right that it is nylon?

Six pawls, appear to be identical to AC pawls. Spring mechanism is totally different. Chincy looking wound wire springs are wrapped around nylon cylinders. These push the pawls into the ratchets. Similar to what White Industries, Hope do, only those use spring steel that looks like a bent sheet as the spring (could probably swap to that if it becomes a problem). The AC uses a compex mechanism with no springs, a wire on the cassette body engages a plate and pushes the pawls into the ratchet. The AC way is more complex... no idea which works better.

Axles look just like AC, only there is no way to preload the bearings - no threaded cone on the end. The ends just pull right off. Most hubs don't have a way to do this, so likely not a problem. Axle ends are very slick looking.

Rear has 4 bearings, front 2. Pull axle ends hard to get them off and get it apart, takes just a second.

Titanium skewers that come with them are very cool, look like they were made in the same factory as KCNC. The design is identical, styling very very similar, looks like the same thing, but the KCNC goes through another pass of machining and uses brass bushings instead of nylon.

I own two sets of AC hubs, one road and one mtb disc. I would buy these rotaz in a second seeing them side by side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the review!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I checked the specs and it seems to me that the Rotaz and AC hubs have different spoke hole diameter (60 vs 66mm respectively).Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks
    >Fab
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    These rear hubs are garbage. If you ride seriously you have to by twice ;-)
    Here are some pics after some Km's

http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/phot.../chinhaur1.jpg

http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/phot.../chinhaur2.jpg

http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/phot.../chinhaur3.jpg

Cannot recommend these.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    What exactly is "some" kms ? You've got wear marks in the Al splines of the freehub body that are seen in hubs after thousands of kms.

I just got a set of the Rotaz hubs myself, the weights were 136g Front / 250g Rear, new version freehub off ebay a couple weeks ago. The skewers which were included were the really nice bonus, 30g / 34g respectively for actual QRs.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Whats wrong with the pawls? Only the splines seem damaged...
    DeeEight, where/from who did you get the newer freehub body, and what was "new" about it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotaz-Disc-Hubs-...item2c505a2383

Yan_Kelly is the ebay seller i used, and have used for a good number of parts this year.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    It appears to me you were using the hub without the freehub body completely pushed on the hub. This can happen if you pull the freehub off and don't re-install it properly, as the seal can make installation tricky. Operator error?
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Powerway-Disc-MT...item2c4d625c6c

similar ebay find. check out their site, they're doing some bizarre engagement thing that doesnt even make sense. 48 points though!

What doesn't make sense about it? Besides common pawl setups I've seen ring drives, ratchet wheels, clutch mechanisms and planetary gear arrangements to freehubs. Heck I've got a set of Novatech disc hubs coming also that at a claimed 188g/305g are pretty reasonably light for $64US on the auction. I'm sure they just use a regular pawl type setup though like other Novatech rear hubs I've built with.

sometimes cheeky
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    What exactly is "some" kms ? You've got wear marks in the Al splines of the freehub body that are seen in hubs after thousands of kms.

Hope for you that are kidding me regarding the wear marks
    Some Km means < 1000Km. Thats less than one month for a lot of MTB riders.

I have more than 8 years experience with hubs from Chin Haur and since this time the problems are allmost the same. No matter if there are branded as American Classic, Rotaz, A2Z, Ritchey and so on. The rear hub is nothing for serious riding, except you are lightweight like a feather, ride allways in dry conditions and your legs have no power (or you are a pro with some replacement wheelsets).

But you are all old enough I guess. By and I am sure you remember in this thread latest in some month.

mtbr member
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rotaz-Disc-Hubs-...item2c505a2383

Yan_Kelly is the ebay seller i used, and have used for a good number of parts this year.
    Thats good to know... how much did he charge? And are the "new" splines also this plastic/nylon material?

I guess you could also replace it with an american classic freehub, or wouldn't those fit?

mtbr member
    What doesn't make sense about it?
    o cricoid spring structure? whats that even mean?

its a standard pawl gear setup.. i dont know how they're using a circoid spring in it.. they claim its patented but give little/no information on what they're doing different than any other hub.

you think its a novatech?

Quote Originally Posted by checky
    Hope for you that are kidding me regarding the wear marks
    Some Km means < 1000Km. Thats less than one month for a lot of MTB riders.

I have more than 8 years experience with hubs from Chin Haur and since this time the problems are allmost the same. No matter if there are branded as American Classic, Rotaz, A2Z, Ritchey and so on. The rear hub is nothing for serious riding, except you are lightweight like a feather, ride allways in dry conditions and your legs have no power (or you are a pro with some replacement wheelsets).

But you are all old enough I guess. By and I am sure you remember in this thread latest in some month.
    So what you're babbling/whining incoherently about is that the rotaz hubs simply repeat the same problems you have experienced with the Ritchey, AC and WTB labeled versions.Well if that's all then for the other 99% of us who aren't fat drunken slobs and never have issues with the freehubs of those branded hubs (my 29er wheelset has several thousand kms with no freehub spline wear or pawl slippage using WTB labeled ChinHaurs) the rotaz versions will do fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast