mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Rohloff tensioner

This is the tensioner that keeps the Wipperman ti chain tight:

It is made of 6al4v ti and is sandwiched between the taper on the Rohloff and the bike's dropout. It is made to the same width plus about a tenth of a millimeter, so that it doesn't change the dropout to dropout distance of 135mm.

Overall view:

I've been able to narrow down the q-factor to 164mm on the cranks. The bike's total weight is 19.75lbs. The factory chainring has been replaced by a very nicely machined unit from Browntech.

☻☻☻
    Last edited by ☻☻☻; 08-21-2006 at 03:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    looks cool. lets see the rest of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    how did you narrow the cranks??

is that a factory rolloff piece or had it made??

whats the rest of the build look like??

this dude is a tease...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Picture showing the front fork:

It is a Wound-up cyclocross disk only carbon fiber fork with 395mm axle to crown length.
    That changed the headtube angle to 73.3 and the seattube to 75.3. It has room (but not much) for the 2.00 Kendas. The quick release has been changed to bolt-on ti skewers front and back since the pic.

I'll take an overall photo tomorrow when the sun is back out.

I had to machine the splines and changed to Enduro ceramic hybrid bearings leaving off the supplied spacers. Using only one XTR spacer (on the drive side) gives it a perfect chain line. It has narrow Eggbeater 4ti pedals, too. Feels like pedaling my road bike

I made the tensioner on a haas cnc mill.

☻☻☻
    Last edited by ☻☻☻; 08-21-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Awesome bike! By far one of the lightest rohloff equipeed bikes I have ever seen - But if your worried bout weight, why choose the rohloff?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Before the Enduro grips, narrowing the cranks and etc...

I wanted the Rohloff and hydraulic brakes then light weight. The bike has been completely reliable so far.

The wheels are Stan's olympic with Sapim cx-ray's front and back. They haven't made a single noise or required truing to date (I used a 3-cross pattern in the rear against Rohloff's recommendation. They're mostly worried about the spoke angle at the rim).

☻☻☻

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Is that tensioner custom made? Do you have a link/url? I'd like to get one for my Blur.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveO23
    Is that tensioner custom made? Do you have a link/url? I'd like to get one for my Blur.

Thanks
    It's custom made. It wouldn't work properly on a suspension bike since it isn't spring loaded .

☻☻☻

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    how much was that bike...or do i want to know...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xc-ss'er
    how much was that bike...or do i want to know...
    It was pretty low in price. The frame was about $800.00 dollars from Mark Hickey at www.Habcycles.com It is an 18.5 disk ready frame that weighed about 3.5 pounds before I carefully removed all the stuff that I didn't need. Now it weighs 3.29 pounds.

I had to weld some titanium to the rear dropout to make an anti-rotation slot for the Rohloff:

and come up with a way to deal with the chain tension. This shows the tensioner inverted to give an idea of how it mounts. The same friction that holds the rear wheel in place also locates the tensioner:

I'm including a pict of the chrank set to show how much the Q-factor has been reduced:

I plan to shorten the spindle next time I have it apart.

I ride a Swarf
    very very nice weight for a loff equiped bike. I was proud of my 27lb loff equioped fsr

I like the tensioner.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Reviewer/Tester
    Damn ! If I didn't see the pic, I would find it hard to believe....that is a killer light weight for a Rollybike. Terrific job.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    The perfect tensionner. I need it! Please contact me asap, I will order this ;-)

Members who have read this thread: 2