Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Rocky Mtn. Vertex Build 20ish lbs!

Sorry guys ll post in "light weight bikes" thread as well, but I wanted some feed back to!

Just finished my rocky mtn build:
    Vertex 970 frame (med)
    Full XTR
    RaceFace Next sl cranks
    SID World Cup Fork
    ENVE bar and Stem
    Formula R1 Brakes
    DT 240 hubs Crest rims
    ESI Grips
    Easton Seat Post (enve is out of 27.2 posts untill october )
    Fizik Tundra 2 Carbon

Came in at 20.5 lbs with pedals, cages, "heavy chain" and garmin + (mounts/sensors)

Thinking about some Ti bolts maybe different tires to try and get sub 20lbs...? suggestions? non off set enve seatpost will help some to.

And yes I feel like a kook because I forgot to align my tire logos with valvestems/rim logos.. i was in a hurry to ride of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mtn. Vertex Build 20ish lbs!-photo-2.jpg  

Rocky Mtn. Vertex Build 20ish lbs!-photo-4.jpg  

Rocky Mtn. Vertex Build 20ish lbs!-photo-5.jpg  

Rocky Mtn. Vertex Build 20ish lbs!-photo-3.jpg  

Last edited by CRFed_surfer; 07-27-2012 at 12:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice! Why the green grips? Enjoy it and let us know how those cranks last.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks. just a fan of green no reason really. haha are these cranks not the most long lasting cranks!?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ive been riding on a set of those cranks... you wont have any problems with longevity...

mtbr member
    The cranks had problems 2 (?) years ago with broken chanring tabs. It seems to be fixed.

but if you have problems let us know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice build. Definitely get some light tires.

Frame looks very similar to the Chinese Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    There were some issues with the first batch of the Next cranks several years ago. Not with the Next SL triple, let alone with the Next SL 2x10. I don't know why some people keep bringing this up.

I really like your bike, CRFed_surfer. Well, except for the green grips. Black, grey or even red ones would look better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    That is still a very light bike. You could go with a lighter wheelset but other than that id just ride it and enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    cut the steerer tube. lighter wheels (ztr gold). lighter saddle.

anyway how do you like the frame ? can you compare it to other frames you rode ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slashy View Post
    cut the steerer tube. lighter wheels (ztr gold). lighter saddle.

anyway how do you like the frame ? can you compare it to other frames you rode ?
    His wheels are much better than the ZTR Gold 29er with those flimsy rims and mediocre 3.30 hubs.

mtbr member
    The only thing I would really change is replace the pedals for the Eggbeater 11's and swap the easton seat post for an Enve when it becomes available. GREAT bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks for the feedback guys..

can't really compare the bike to any other 29er frame. this is my 1st 29er and 1st carbon bike. my other hardtail that I was racing is a steel frame 650 bike which I love, it's back to single speed duty now tho. this bike handles so much better, despite having larger wheels. everything about the bike is snappy and quick, obviously I feel the lightness of the bike at every turn and uphill but the bike is just tits!

I might move to a racing ralph in the front in search for more traction (very scared if losing my front end in a dry turn, I ride fast ha) but I can't say I'm disappointed with the ikons tho they stick pretty well.
    I am waiting to cut the steer tube until I get my non offset enve post just incase things change with my fit, doubt they will but you can't take that stuff back ya know.
    I've have put on a lighter chain to.
    I'm pretty comfortable with the seat but what would be a lighter option?

I might lace up a set of enve hoops, not so much for the weight (10g more per hoop than crests I believe) but for a stiffer feel and longevity. plus I'd feel comfortable running butted spokes with the carbon rims and maybe 2 cross on the front also saving weight. dam expensive tho.

mtbr member
    Nice bike, CRFed_surfer. Regarding the tires, I don't see the EXC hotpatch, so I assume they have 60 tpi casings. You can drop around 60g per tire by going to the 120 tpi versions (although I wouldn't recommend if for the rear if you live / ride in a rocky area). And when the tires break loose, it's a pretty predictable drift, so just keep your fingers on your rear brake and you'll be fine.

Otherwise, I'll echo bikerboyj17's comments about the pedals and seat post. You can go with Ti bolts on the rotors and stem, and aluminum on the brake levers, shifters, derailleurs, and bottle cages without worry. But most importantly, enjoy your bike. It's easily on the level of professional world cup athletes', so ride it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    super awesome bike. Planning to get a 2013 vertex myself, either the top of the line 999 rsl or the 990 rsl.

weight-wise, I would change or consider the following

-are you tubeless? (cheap)
    -light seatpost collar such as KCNC (cheap)
    -light saddle such as tune/smud/merek or cheaper alternative with an ebay carbon saddle at 100g, does it for me (expensive/cheap)
    -140mm rear rotor? (cheap)

I wouldnt bother with light tires especially if you are racing. I prefer a little bit of weight there and be able to finish my races. The maxxis Ikon exo are very good and not that overweight.

Since im an uber-weight weenie, I would remove all wheels decals, but thats just me...

mtbr member
    Has the new 2013 Vertex shown up online yet? I haven't seen anything about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Has the new 2013 Vertex shown up online yet? I haven't seen anything about it.
    nope not yet, but I have all the spec from the top 3 vertex models. I live in a town with a RM factory and have a few contacts there

nope, I wont give any insights, the catalogs should come out next monday

high spec 999rsl and a bit down spec 990 rsl :P

mtbr member
    No worries. I figured they would show up soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just got my hands on the 2013 Vertex 999 and holy crap is it light!!!
    I don't have a scale to give it an exact weight but wow!!

I also have the 970 Vertex and the frame rides like a dream!! This is my first thru-axle on the rear and tapered steer tube bike and it tracks like nobody's business in the rough stuff! I had a carbon trek superfly ss and this rides much stiffer than the trek. This could be because of the two mentioned aspects from above though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah the 999rsl must be light with those spec!

Imagine how light it can go with light handlebar stem seatpost and saddle!

What are those dt x1.4 wheels??

mtbr member
    Hmmm, they're already available? Does the high end Vertex still have XX brakes? What crank does it come with?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    hey limba, they're not available yet. Since the catalog is coming out shortly, I think I'd leak some info

full XX
    sid WC
    oem dt wheels
    race face components

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    single speed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mtn. Vertex Build 20ish lbs!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1346277271.124982.jpg  

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by CRFed_surfer View Post
    single speed!
    How did you tension the chain, or is it a "magic gear"?
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    oddly enough a magic gear, didn't even have to use my chain tensioner

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    About your fork SID WC RCT3, can you enlighten us a bit around how you use it ?
    do you activate the 3 position lever a lot, or did you manage to find settings so you can keep it in 1 position ?

maybe the platform one, getting reasonable behaviour when out of the saddle but still good control when doing nasty descents ?

thx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast