Recovering couch patato

Roady Q : Smaller double chainrings on lady's bike?

Hi all,

A dear lady MTB racer friend trains on a nice ~2001 Trek 1400 or something, US Postal replica. Nice 105 spec, now with a 12/27 cassette Ultegra I put on it because climbing is rediculous with a 23t. Chainrings are 39/52 as stock.
    Till she's ready (rich enough) to shell out mayor cash for a triple setup (change about all parts, 1 STI, BB+cranks, 2 derailers, cables, way expensive), I hope to get the gearing a bit more realistic for a enthousiastic girl in her 4th season of riding. 52t came into use because the smaller cogs available were 13t, till Merckx came with a 12t, and every pro called him crazy back then.
    I was thinking of, now that wear is about to kick in, to replace the cassette with an identical one, put on a new 39t ring I've still going in the part bin, and find a lsightly smaller outer ring, 50t or 48t.

Q's :
    -How small can I go with a braze-on style front derailer?
    -Would a 48/39 combo even shift properly, just 9t between them?
    -Can I even get away with a 38t for that little climbing edge? Sugino's don't seem to break the bank too much.

Other things I should be aware of?

An MTB cassette is not really an option I think, as it would be a pain on the road. She'd be in one gear all the time, as she is now on the commuter MTB, wearing through a cassette and chain way quicker than necessary.
    I was hoping, that if I could get a 48t to work with the FD, she'd have a better chainline on the bulk of rides, and only at lower speeds forced to shift to the inner ring.

Your help is much appreciated by a 28yo single MTB/Roadie lady, so... :-)

Thanks in advance,

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

A little of everything
    Should be no problem. Isn't it the gearing that is used on cross bikes.

Recovering couch patato
    But do those use roadie spec braze-on FS's? Mine don't...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    Are you here just to piss everyone off?
    I'm trying to improve my friend's bike beyond my own knowlegde, so help out or bud out.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

A little of everything
    Remove the brace and use a normal deraillure or mount a top swing mtb deraillure.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

not just for ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Hi all,

A dear lady MTB racer friend trains on a nice ~2001 Trek 1400 or something, US Postal replica. Nice 105 spec, now with a 12/27 cassette Ultegra I put on it because climbing is rediculous with a 23t. Chainrings are 39/52 as stock.
    Till she's ready (rich enough) to shell out mayor cash for a triple setup (change about all parts, 1 STI, BB+cranks, 2 derailers, cables, way expensive), I hope to get the gearing a bit more realistic for a enthousiastic girl in her 4th season of riding. 52t came into use because the smaller cogs available were 13t, till Merckx came with a 12t, and every pro called him crazy back then.
    I was thinking of, now that wear is about to kick in, to replace the cassette with an identical one, put on a new 39t ring I've still going in the part bin, and find a lsightly smaller outer ring, 50t or 48t.
    I PREFER A 50 OR 48 MYSELF. I TOTALLY DON'T NEED A 52 OR 53 WITH A 12 IN BACK.
    Q's :
    -How small can I go with a braze-on style front derailer?THAT DEPENDS ENTIRELY ON THE LENGTH OF THE SLOT AND HOW FAR DOWN TOWARDS THE BOTTOM OF THE SLOT THE DERAILLEUR IS NOW WITH THE 52T. THER'S NO LAW THAT FORBIDS TAKING A RATTAIL FILE OR DREMEL TO IT TO GAIN A FEW MILLIMETERS.
    -Would a 48/39 combo even shift properly, just 9t between them?IT WOULD SHIFT FINE
    -Can I even get away with a 38t for that little climbing edge? 38T FITS 130MM BOLT CIRCLE DIAMETER, THAT WOULD BE EVEN BETTER Sugino's don't seem to break the bank too much.i WOULD GO 38/50T, SWITCH TO A COGSET WITH A 13T SMALL TO GET CLOSER SPACING BETWEEN THE SMALLER COGS. BUT I'M A BERTO STYLE GEAR FREAK

Other things I should be aware of?

An MTB cassette is not really an option I think, as it would be a pain on the road. She'd be in one gear all the time, as she is now on the commuter MTB, wearing through a cassette and chain way quicker than necessary.THAT'S WHY THE SMALL, IDEALLY, 1-TOOTH JUMPS BETWEEN THE SMALLER 3 OR 4 COGS WOULD BE GREAT. LOSE THE 12, GAIN MAYBE A MORE USEFUL 16 OR SOMETHING.
    I was hoping, that if I could get a 48t to work with the FD, she'd have a better chainline on the bulk of rides, and only at lower speeds forced to shift to the inner ring.EVEN IF YOU RUN OUT OF SLOT AND THE CAGE ENDS UP HIGHER THAN THE RECOMMENDED 2MM ABOVE THE BIG RING, IT WILL STILL BE FINE. 5 OR 6MM WILL WORK JUST FINE WITH A 10T SPAN BETWEEN THE RINGS. ONLY WHEN YOU GO A TRIPLE IS IT AN ISSUE, BECAUSE THEN THE CAGE MIGHT BE SO HIGH THAT THE CHAIN DRAGS ON THE BACK END OF THE CAGE WHEN IN THE GRANNY RING.

Your help is much appreciated by a 28yo single MTB/Roadie lady, so... :-)SHE GOT A SISTER?

Thanks in advance,

J
    12345BITEMECHARACTERNAZI

"EDIT" BACK AGAIN. ANOTHER THOUGHT. ANOTHER WAY TO GO IS TO KEEP THE 52 AND BUILD A CUSTOM CASSETTE STARTING WITH A 14T COG, DOWN TO MAYBE A 26 OR 28. DESPITE WHAT SHITMANO SAYS, YOU CAN MIX AND MATCH THEIR COGS FROM VARIOUS CLUSTERS AND IGNORE HOW THE GIMMICKY RAMPS ETC LINE UP IT WILL STILL SHIFT JUST FINE, i DO IT ALL THE TIME. i GOT A 16-34 CLUSTER ON MY WINTER MTB ALL THE GEARS i NEED NONE I DON'T.
    OR INSTEAD OF TRIPLE STI LONGER BB ETC ETC JUST GO WITH A COMPACT DOUBLE 110MM BOLT CIRCLE, 34/50 OR 34/48, SAME CHAIN LINE, DIG UP AN OLD STANDARD BOLT CIRCLE TRIPLE AT A GARAGE SALE ETC AND JUST DON'T USE THE GRANNY BOLT CIRCLE. 34/50 IS SWEET, I THINK I READ TYLER DOPEFIEND HAMILTON WAS RACING ON ONE.
    Last edited by bulC; 12-18-2004 at 12:46 PM.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks BulC, that rules, and you rule! Enough info for me to start working with, very much appreciated.

Actually the small cogs being close together is not so important, as she's be spinning pretty light gears, with her quickest group rides averaging just over 20mph, over long flat roads.
    Swapping the 12 for a 16t is golden idea, that would improve the middle range of the cassete so much! 50-13 or even 48-13 would not be a gear she'd ride every day, and so what if she runs out of gears for 5 secs on a local hill.

Sorry, no sister, but I'll forward her this thread.
    Help out that same way on the Women's Lounge and score mayor cool points there :-)

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    The bike in question is located on the other side of the country, I forgot to mention that why I can use some help up front, I only go there a few times a year. I now know to carry a thin file next time I head back out there, just in case.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski