mtbr member
    Mar 2005

To the Roadies - My 05 TCR Comp. 2

Some of you may remember me from a few years ago (I went by the name of Jonwondo and setup the light-bikes website with DirtBoy).

Anyway, I just purchased a 2005 Giant TCR Composite 2 (couldn't afford the 1 or 0). I plan on upgrading it over the next year. Before I bought it, I put all the component weights into Excel, and using claimed/ww.starbike weights, it came to 17.5 lbs. When I took the bike home and put it on my digital scale I was a little dissapointed that it came in at 18.4 lbs. After some adjustments to the component weights I think I have a pretty accurate account of the weights (let me know if anything looks off).

I've also included the planned first round of upgrades (using best $$/gram as a starting point). Let me know if you guys recommend other parts. Also keep in mind I'm 5'10" and 115 lbs so component durability/flex is not an issue (never has been).

My new bike (on paper at least) is starting to look like a pig when compared to Nino's sub 12lb beauty. But it is 4 lbs lighter than my old roadie and I can definentaly feel it up the hills : ) The carbon really takes the edge of off bumps, can't wait for a carbon bar as well.

-Jonas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JD_OC; 04-13-2005 at 06:33 PM.

banned

difficult...

Quote Originally Posted by JD_OC
    Some of you may remember me from a few years ago (I went by the name of Jonwondo and setup the light-bikes website with DirtBoy).

Anyway, I just purchased a 2005 Giant TCR Composite 2 (couldn't afford the 1 or 0). I plan on upgrading it over the next year. Before I bought it, I put all the component weights into Excel, and using claimed/ww.starbike weights, it came to 17.5 lbs. When I took the bike home and put it on my digital scale I was a little dissapointed that it came in at 18.4 lbs. After some adjustments to the component weights I think I have a pretty accurate account of the weights (let me know if anything looks off).

I've also included the planned first round of upgrades (using best $$/gram as a starting point). Let me know if you guys recommend other parts. Also keep in mind I'm 5'10" and 115 lbs so component durability/flex is not an issue (never has been).

My new bike (on paper at least) is starting to look like a pig when compared to Nino's sub 12lb beauty. But it is 4 lbs lighter than my old roadie and I can definentaly feel it up the hills : ) The carbon really takes the edge of off bumps, can't wait for a carbon bar as well.

-Jonas
    i miss the descripion of the parts...as is we can only guess? what is it that's from Supergo? etc...

anyway - definitely start with the wheels as those Shimano wheels are really anchors. get some nice CR420 with Sapim CX-Rays. they are rather cheap to get. they weigh sub 1400g. mine came in at 1380g and removing the stickers drops another 20g. at your weight you might even go for a reduced spoke count.

also the tires are also relatively heavy. depending on your roads you might also try the Conti Supersonics i use. they weigh just 140g.only downside is they get punctures rather easily as they don't have too much rubber on and they last about 700 miles only. or you might try the Vittoria Ultraspeed at ca. 160g which got tested as one of the fastest clinchers too.

and definitely go for Conti Supersinic inner tubes (or Maxxis Flyweights). at just around 50g these will save valuable grams over standard tubes.

all in all this might save you 2 lbs at the wheels alone and believe me, you are going to feel it BIG TIME!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a pair of those Shimano wheels, which I use for cyclocross (I weight 73 kg, 160 lbs). They hold up nicely, so a light guy can probably use it in a 29" with an XT axle for serious MTB! So the wheel should be replaced for racing - but maybe ok for training. Now the tires. Conti Supersonics are for racing only, the 20 mm is probably only ok for time trials. You need perfect roads, and still you don't get too many kms on them. I have a pair which I used once in a race, and last year I put 23 mm Conti 3000 on for a time trial I rode. I found that I like the feeling of having more rubber on the road, and hate to get a puncture... I use 25 mm for mass start events, criteriums. It makes sense for me: 20 gr for the extra comfort and faster cornering is worth it in a 5-6 hour marathon race.

-b

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Whoops! I missed the description column in Excel. I guess it is a little hard to figure out what part is what. The Supergo thing on the top is a 'boat anchor' bottle cage. I gotta get a cheap CF one. Will replace picture when I get home.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ok, pic is updated, so you'll know what component is what.

Wow, loosing ~2 lbs on the wheelset is very tempting. Maybe I should just start there:
    AC 420 Wheelset -500 grams
    Alum. Cassette -120 grams
    light tires -120 grams
    light tubes -50 grams
    Total -790 grams (1.74 lbs)