mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Ringle Black Flag...under 1300 grams, and under $400?

Seems too, too good to be true. Under 1300 grams? Yikes, I just had some Crossmax SLs, and they were about 1500 a set, and retailed for twice the Ringles. Of course Jenson USA has them for $388 or so, but 1-2 week wait.

I'm looking for some light and pretty cheap wheels, and these seem like both. Anyone have these?

Paste eater
    I've got a pair of Ringle Charger wheels on my SS. They are also under 400 bills bt heavier. I saw the Black Flags, but decided i needed something more durable.

The Chargers are wide and feel solid with decent engagement FWIW.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have an older set of XC Ringle wheels, from, oh, 2001 maybe. Have been reliable and trouble free. The alloy cassette carrier kind of worries me a bit. 1290 grams is WAAY lighter than 1500 grams. That would literally be over 1/2 pound instantly. For $400 bucks no less. And, they look pretty nice as a bonus. No fancy spokes or rims. But, if they suck, then it's all for nothing.

Paste eater
    Nothing wrong with an Alloy Cassette Carrier, King uses them.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    They are mind you, rim-brake only wheels...

Oh NO.... RIM BRAKES.... THE HUMANITY!!!

The claimed weight for the back wheel would seem off though... 28 DT Revo 2.0/1.5s with alloy nipples and a UFO rim and a Road Flea rear hub (which has a shorter axle than the mtb version) add up to just over 730g.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 08-29-2007 at 02:24 PM.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    rim brake wheels are what I need. I just wonder how the sidewalls, not being ceramic would compare to my old Crossmax that I still use. Probably fine, I don't ride in wet often at all.

They claim 1298 a set. That's pretty darn light.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Bare in mind the UFO's are SKINNNY rims at 20.75mm width so that's probably how they hit 370g each. Sun traditionally took the skinny rim route to weight savings, whereas mavic took the thin extrusion route. Back in the day, the M13Ls in the 26" size were ridiculously light at 356g each, but at less than 20mm width they made for running much more than a 2.1 width tire an excercise requiring metal tire levers to install/remove.

In comparison, a Mavic M230 rim, at 370g back in the day (and 22mm width), would be in danger of wearing THRU the brake tracks in a couple seasons of regular usage. I have seen sun rims go five plus years of regular usage on the other hand and they still maintained sidewall integrity (unlike the mavics which tend to have the sidwalls literally crack and peel away while you're riding).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Bare in mind the UFO's are SKINNNY rims at 20.75mm width so that's probably how they hit 370g each. Sun traditionally took the skinny rim route to weight savings, whereas mavic took the thin extrusion route. Back in the day, the M13Ls in the 26" size were ridiculously light at 356g each, but at less than 20mm width they made for running much more than a 2.1 width tire an excercise requiring metal tire levers to install/remove.

In comparison, a Mavic M230 rim, at 370g back in the day (and 22mm width), would be in danger of wearing THRU the brake tracks in a couple seasons of regular usage. I have seen sun rims go five plus years of regular usage on the other hand and they still maintained sidewall integrity (unlike the mavics which tend to have the sidwalls literally crack and peel away while you're riding).
    I totally agree re the M230, I had those & the sidewalls didnt last a year