Max
    Velodramatic

riding SID Carbon w/o expander plug?

i have been racing on SIDs w/o star fangled nuts for three years now, but today i got a new carbon crown. does anyone ride his SID carbon without the expander plug? given that carbon is just as reliable as alloy steerers, that shouldnt be a problem, right?

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    i have been racing on SIDs w/o star fangled nuts for three years now, but today i got a new carbon crown. does anyone ride his SID carbon without the expander plug? given that carbon is just as reliable as alloy steerers, that shouldnt be a problem, right?
    shoudln't be a problem although carbon steerers could be damaged from overthightened Stems. the expander plug supports the steerer in the clamping area to prevent any possible damage. . also carbon steerers are more "elastic" than Al-steerers. means they flex a bit under a load which might result in headsets loosening. i would suggest you use a Schmolke carbon plug to prevent any possible failure.

i know several guys who ride without anything but i personally wouldn't do it.

but congrats for the carbon steerer. that alone should save about 50g on your SID

that's what i call a nice christmas gift.

Max
    Velodramatic
    i'd sandpaper the clamping surface a bit and use loctite (the one that prevent screws from coming loose). we'll see....

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

I've had bad luck with this setup

I don't use a starnut or cap with my aluminum steerer SID, but I do use the expander plug and cap with the carbon SID steerer. I tried going without the cap on a ride the other day and the carbon loosened quickly. I guess I am also reluctant to get the bolts too tight with the fragile nature of the carbon steerer. For what it is worth, I am using a Syntace F99 stem.

Max
    Velodramatic
    just finished my carbon conversion: exactly 1251g for 80mm travel+lockout. i still have Ti studs, so alloy studs might bring the fork below 1250g

the carbon crown (slippery silver) weighs 490g for 163mm steerer tube length. the 2002 SID SL upper assembly weighed 526g. unfortunately less weight saved than expected

anyways, this might be one of the lightest lockout forks out there i guess. dunno where else to save weight. maybe i could save some grams by replacing the long coil on the upper pure damper rod with an elastomer. or maybe there are some ti coils available....

Max
    Velodramatic
    ... of course removing the air valve caps, the stickers and painting the fork black instead of white might save additional 8g, but would also make for a crappy looking fork :/