Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Reuse Eclipse rim strips with strapping tape?

I would like to use the Eclipse rim strips from an old wheelset on my new set, but the two sided tape that came with the kit is not going to be useable once removed. Will the strips work just as well with a layer of narrow strapping tape to cover the spoke holes? Is the two sided adhesive tape provided with the Eclipse kit essential?
    (I posted this on the wheels and tires forum but got no response. Surely I can count on a fellow weight weenie for help!)

banned

essential tape...

Quote Originally Posted by schnapmaster
    I would like to use the Eclipse rim strips from an old wheelset on my new set, but the two sided tape that came with the kit is not going to be useable once removed. Will the strips work just as well with a layer of narrow strapping tape to cover the spoke holes? Is the two sided adhesive tape provided with the Eclipse kit essential?
    (I posted this on the wheels and tires forum but got no response. Surely I can count on a fellow weight weenie for help!)
    yes, the sticky tape is essential !
    you can get it individually direct from Eclipse :
    http://tubelesskit.com/onlineshop.html
    or you can contact me...

On your left.
    Jan 2004

I say just use the strapping tape

I bought into the eclipse kit phenom, but honesly I think just some tape to seal off the spoke holes is all you need. I don't see how the rimstrip helps seal or keep the tire bead on at all. Especially when using standard tires which only rely on the shoulder of the tire bead for retention. However I have not tried it yet.

M

Team SUMMIT BICYCLES

Rim strips are sometimes necessary

Thanks for the response, Nino. I wasn't having luck keeping the tires sealed with the strapping tape and Eclipse combo.
    As for just taping the rim as Motivated suggested. Obviously this is the lightest and cheapest system. I have tried this on at least 6 wheelsets with mixed results. I have a set of crossmax wheels that are sealed with strapping and electrical tape that have held air very well for months (with Python Airlights). It depends a lot more on the rim and tire. I want to run NBX lite or Explorer SS on my new racing wheelset (AC hubs and Valiant rims: 1392 grams) and the DIY rim tape isn't working, even though I have a compressor and do everything right. The Eclipse setup is the most reliable way to use a latex sealant system with the most versatility, and it doesn't add too much weight.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

good info

Thanks for the response, Nino. I wasn't having luck keeping the tires sealed with the strapping tape and Eclipse combo.
    As for just taping the rim as Motivated suggested. Obviously this is the lightest and cheapest system. I have tried this on at least 6 wheelsets with mixed results. I have a set of crossmax wheels that are sealed with strapping and electrical tape that have held air very well for months (with Python Airlights). It depends a lot more on the rim and tire. I want to run NBX lite or Explorer SS on my new racing wheelset (AC hubs and Valiant rims: 1392 grams) and the DIY rim tape isn't working, even though I have a compressor and do everything right. The Eclipse setup is the most reliable way to use a latex sealant system with the most versatility, and it doesn't add too much weight.
    What specifically is the problem with sealing. Is there a leak at the tire bead or at the spoke holes? I imagined the sealant (especially Stans with the chunking crystals) would seal either. It sounds to me since you aren't getting sealage with strapping tape and eclipe strips then the failure is the tape. Maybe try some better tape. I was planning on using Kapton tape which is strong and just a bit flexible/stretchy. Single sided foam tape might be good too.

BTW, the Nokian NBX were the most difficult tires I ever sealed on my x3.1 rims. It takes several days - the trick is to ride immediately after mounting the tire. I also believe they burped air.
    M