Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rear shock linkage modification Scott spark

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  andrepsz 
#1 ·
Call me crazy, don't care...just started to dig into this idea; why not doing this modification?! I believe the only challenge here is to make sure I eliminate the pivoting movement between the shock and the Seat stay. Since there is a pivot on the bottom at the rear hub, the compression would not be an issue...I'm just looking for fun projects.

See less See more
#4 ·
Did some measurements without air....no.. tire doesn't touch frame as 26. The interesting idea is that I'm planning to convert to 650b, even with this size wouldn't hit the Frame as I checked other threads somewhere. Now the interesting part: with the same 165mm lenght shock (eye to eye) connected to the Seat Stay pivot, the bike would drop a little bit at full compression, wish would make sense running 650b (to compensate the extra 0.75 inch)...But travel would be less, can't exactly say in theory, maybe from 110mm to 90mm Open.

I'd say is possible if we consider other frames like 'FUNK LA RUTA'
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

They have an interesting connector solution at the base of the shock. Interesting is; this frame is pivotless, not even at the rear hub, so I figure the Ti tubes flexes to compensate during compression...pretty cool!

Would certainly save some good weight, that's the two small swing arms, top and middle connector pins plus a bunch of bolts and bushings....and some time in the garage...win win!

#5 ·
Amp Research tried that in the 90's, flexy as all get out and the shock bushings wore quickly. The shock tuning would be critical since you have no linkage for leverage tuning.

A few other manufacturers tried it as well back in the early-mid 90's. Been a long time since any manufacturer other than Funk did it.

Attachments

#6 ·
Interesting...thanks! Yeah I see the benefits off the modern concept (not that modern anymore)...additional pivots with the swing arms providing more precision at slower compression, plus more reach from Seat Stay.....what I was thinking!!!! (still thinking....)...bright side....did you liked my photoshop work at least?? ..:p

#9 ·
I agree, there is a lot more to consider for this kind of project, bottom line I believe to be unrealistic to be done. Better to keep things the way they suppose to be on this case! I find very impressive and innovative what Funk Cycles is doing, very interesting concept saving weight and keeping things stiff and clean, under 20lbs on their full Ti bikes?!?!

I will leave this with the Pro's! Like Funk!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.