Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,845

    Rate this wheelset

    Hey guys
    Just starting to start and put some gear away for a future build and wanted some feedback on my planned wheelset. I want them to be reasonably light but strong enough so that I can still ride them on everyday trail rides.
    Thinking American Classic 2005 disc hubs with Sun UFO rims (32 hole, 3 cross). I am a big guy (6'3" and currently 215lb but working hard to get under 200lb).

    I ride XC, no drops and also race 24, 12 and 6 hour events.
    Will be happy to get a build under 1700g.

  2. #2
    College
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Hey guys
    Just starting to start and put some gear away for a future build and wanted some feedback on my planned wheelset. I want them to be reasonably light but strong enough so that I can still ride them on everyday trail rides.
    Thinking American Classic 2005 disc hubs with Sun UFO rims (32 hole, 3 cross). I am a big guy (6'3" and currently 215lb but working hard to get under 200lb).

    I ride XC, no drops and also race 24, 12 and 6 hour events.
    Will be happy to get a build under 1700g.
    1700 is prettty beefy you could easily get it under that, unless that's rotor included. With just a 14/15/14 gauge (2.0-1.8-2.0) you could get that set under 1700 with alloy nipples easily. Who's buildiing them? you ?

  3. #3
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    1700 is prettty beefy you could easily get it under that, unless that's rotor included. With just a 14/15/14 gauge (2.0-1.8-2.0) you could get that set under 1700 with alloy nipples easily. Who's buildiing them? you ?
    Yep it will be me building them as my first build.
    I thought I should be able to geet them under that weight but am not so worried about anything silly light.
    I can get the hubs for $125 which I thought was a good price seeing as though they are actually already over here in Australia meaning I do not have a big shipping cost. The rims will be another thing though.
    Any other suggestions for rims within the same pricerange as the UFO's??
    Suggestions for spokes too??

  4. #4
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    I personally don't like the AM classic hubs. They just aren't durable.

    As for rims, it's alittle more money(quite alot more..), but I reccomend DT swiss d4.1 rims.

    For spokes, DT supercomps are a good option.
    Last edited by bike_freak; 01-23-2005 at 01:12 AM.

  5. #5
    College
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    I personally don't like the AM classic hubs. They just aren't durable.

    As for rims, it's alittle more money(quite alot more..), but I reccomend DT swiss d4.1 rims.

    For spokes, DT supercomps are a good option.
    You can't really fault them for onlny being 125 dollars. I know i have never ridden them, but for the price and the weight it doesn't look bad. Many others have had good experiences with them. I would still try my luck for such cheap hubs.

    As for rims, http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...9&category=429

    There are some red x517 for only 30 dollars there. It's a nice and light rim. For spokes i'd suggest www.oddsandendos.com Mike sells them for really cheap. It might even be a good idea to have him build them for you.

  6. #6
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    You can't really fault them for onlny being 125 dollars. I know i have never ridden them, but for the price and the weight it doesn't look bad. Many others have had good experiences with them. I would still try my luck for such cheap hubs.

    As for rims, http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...9&category=429

    There are some red x517 for only 30 dollars there. It's a nice and light rim. For spokes i'd suggest www.oddsandendos.com Mike sells them for really cheap. It might even be a good idea to have him build them for you.
    Ye, for that price, I guess those hubs are decent.

    But I would stay away from the 517 rim, at your weight and with disks... not a good choice.

    Second the Mike garcia reccomendation.

  7. #7
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,845
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    Another question.
    What is the best (easiest) spoke calculator to use??

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    563
    you can use the one that DT have on their website. its free.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

  9. #9
    Big Wheel Homer !!
    Reputation: cruzthepug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Ye, for that price, I guess those hubs are decent.

    But I would stay away from the 517 rim, at your weight and with disks... not a good choice.

    Second the Mike garcia reccomendation.
    I bought a set from Mike Garcia last year. WTB laser disc lite hubs, (same hub as the American Classic, built by AC just WTB name), Velocity rims. Set totals 1610 grams w/o rotors, I'm 6'3, 210 and have not had any problems. You should be able to get the WTB hubs alot cheaper than the AC check around.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    511
    Seeing all these posts about cheap AmClassic hubs I'm getting worried their reputation is going to get skewed from the Taiwanees knock offs. The AmClassics on eBay are not real AmClassics.

    If you get the real hubs you won't have issue with your weight, I've built up wheels for many guys on our team over 200lbs. Road and MTB, Micro and Disc. Choose the correct rim for your riding style and use Brass nipples. You should have an enjoyable ride.

    Thanks,
    Shane

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    778

    Taiwan

    Quote Originally Posted by SKullman
    Seeing all these posts about cheap AmClassic hubs I'm getting worried their reputation is going to get skewed from the Taiwanees knock offs. The AmClassics on eBay are not real AmClassics.

    If you get the real hubs you won't have issue with your weight, I've built up wheels for many guys on our team over 200lbs. Road and MTB, Micro and Disc. Choose the correct rim for your riding style and use Brass nipples. You should have an enjoyable ride.

    Thanks,
    Shane
    I believe that all "American Classic" hubs are built in Taiwan. Ones like WTB are not knock-offs, but just re-badged hubs ordered in larger quantities in order to offer them at lower price points.

  12. #12
    MaL*size=
    Reputation: MaLoL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    767
    built in taiwan? it is very possible

    but Gal Fridman (atenas 2004 olimpics windsurf gold medal) told me he had been on american classic factory in florida so...

    maybe the ac hubs are from taiwan and the other components are made in Florida.

    Anyone has info about this? im expecting for my ebay ac hubs. they will arrive this week. ill keep you informed...

  13. #13
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,845
    Hmmmmmmm.
    I will check around to see if I can find the WTB's any cheaper than the $125 I can get the AC for but I have not seen them in the past.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Any other thoughts on rims at a comparable pricerange to the UFO's??

    cruzthepug, what Velocity rims did you use??

  14. #14
    Lazy People Suck
    Reputation: Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    703

    AM Classic Hubs are made in Taiwan

    [QUOTE=MaL󌝢uilt in taiwan? it is very possible

    but Gal Fridman (atenas 2004 olimpics windsurf gold medal) told me he had been on american classic factory in florida so...

    maybe the ac hubs are from taiwan and the other components are made in Florida.

    Anyone has info about this? i?m expecting for my ebay ac hubs. they will arrive this week. i?ll keep you informed...[/QUOTE]

    I can assure you that American Classic has their hubs made from a factory in Taiwan. American Classic is indeed located in Florida, but it is not a factory. I believe that they do all their wheel builds there and distribute out of there, but the factories that build almost all of their stuff is located in Taiwan, as are most of the components built for many companies that you would think of being "American" brands. I have 3 sets of American Classic hubs (1 road set and 2 WTB branded disc wheelsets) They have performed flawlessly for me. The road set is going on 3 years old with thousands of miles on it without any problems whatsoever.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

  15. #15
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    cruzthepug, what Velocity rims did you use??
    I can answer this one..

    Velocity VXC's with WS 14/15 spokes.

  16. #16
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,845
    Thanks bikefreak.
    Would be nice to support a homegrown product (if they are comparably priced and quality).

  17. #17
    Big Wheel Homer !!
    Reputation: cruzthepug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Hmmmmmmm.
    I will check around to see if I can find the WTB's any cheaper than the $125 I can get the AC for but I have not seen them in the past.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Any other thoughts on rims at a comparable pricerange to the UFO's??

    cruzthepug, what Velocity rims did you use??
    Velocity Synergy rim w/ Wheelsmith 14/15/14 spokes. Check out www.oddsandendos.com

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: heatstroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,003

    Only thing I'd change would be

    the hubs. The bearings are weak on the AC hubs.

    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Hey guys
    Just starting to start and put some gear away for a future build and wanted some feedback on my planned wheelset. I want them to be reasonably light but strong enough so that I can still ride them on everyday trail rides.
    Thinking American Classic 2005 disc hubs with Sun UFO rims (32 hole, 3 cross). I am a big guy (6'3" and currently 215lb but working hard to get under 200lb).

    I ride XC, no drops and also race 24, 12 and 6 hour events.
    Will be happy to get a build under 1700g.

  19. #19
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,693
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    Thanks bikefreak.
    Would be nice to support a homegrown product (if they are comparably priced and quality).
    I have been using the Velocity VXC rims, and happen to really like them. This is like my 3rd year running them. 1st time on my Giant NRS and now on my Ellsworth Truth.

    You can get them for like $60 or something, they are always round, well made and look good.
    Trev!

  20. #20
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,693
    Get a decent set of Hubs other then the American Classics. Granted I haven't used the 2005 models I found my 2003 were rubbish!
    Trev!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    76
    American classic hubs are for racing only. Anyone here use front AC micro 58 hub in mtb?

  22. #22
    TR
    TR is offline
    Angry bunny
    Reputation: TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    Get a decent set of Hubs other then the American Classics. Granted I haven't used the 2005 models I found my 2003 were rubbish!
    OK Trevor! give me another option other than the AC's but keep in mind this is to be a budget build so CK is gooooooooooone.

    And on the price of the Velocity rims is that an Aussie price or US?? (Gets confusing when two Aussies start talking price on what is essentially a US forum)

  23. #23
    Get your freak on!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,698
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    OK Trevor! give me another option other than the AC's but keep in mind this is to be a budget build so CK is gooooooooooone.

    And on the price of the Velocity rims is that an Aussie price or US?? (Gets confusing when two Aussies start talking price on what is essentially a US forum)
    Hope hubs. Not light by an means, but quite durable

  24. #24
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,693
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    OK Trevor! give me another option other than the AC's but keep in mind this is to be a budget build so CK is gooooooooooone.

    And on the price of the Velocity rims is that an Aussie price or US?? (Gets confusing when two Aussies start talking price on what is essentially a US forum)
    Australian Dollars too. I forgot to add the AU prefix for clarity.

    Hubs - If from the US: DT Hugi 240, DT Onyx, eBay Kings, Hopes..

    You know when you really think about it, there is little in the way of choice when it comes to Disk hubs. There is certainty a market for some more good hubs..
    Trev!

  25. #25
    WOY
    WOY is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    375
    I would suggest giving the AC hubs a go. I built a set of 04 AC disc hub/4.1D/Supercomp 32 3 cross wheels for a mate and they turned out to be very nice. However he does not do a lot of kms on the mtb anymore so durability is unknown. He is going to Wildside in a couple of week so we will see how they hold up in the mud. Since they use cartridge bearings so when they wear/rust you can just knock them out and replace them (from memory they use the very common 6000 series bearings).

    I think with most freewheels regular maintenance is a must especially if you ride in the wet/mud regularly. I had a quick look at the AC hub while I was building the wheels. I think the seals could be better nonetheless servicing is not all that difficult so I think with regular clean and grease they could be durable.

    Another thing with the AC hub is that they are very good value Downunder as you have discovered. Considering they are less than half the price of Hope/DT/King hubs even if you have to replace them once you are still in front.

    Personally I think King hubs are overrated, they are not as reliable/maintenance free as some claim they are but everyone know they are expensive.

    I used to think Hope XC hubs are strong also until I took one apart and found out the axle has snapped (the rider is less than 70kg and ride XC no drops) lucky I had a spare XC hub that we could borrow some parts from.

    I am a big fan of the DT hubs. They are well made and relatively durable if you look after them (read regular maintenance). I have yet to crack any hub shells but I have seen more than a few. The new 240s are supposed to be stronger in that area. My road 240 has done more than 20k km and are still rolling on the same set of bearings and internals. Have a look at the new 340 range they have the same design as the 240s but instead uses a steel freewheel shell and axle.

    Rim wise the DT 4.1D are very nice. They are strong and round. An alternative would be the Mavic 819s but they are a pain to build with.

    Since it is going to be your first build I would suggest you use a relatively thick spoke like a butted 2-1.8-2mm to minimise wind-up. Also I would stick with brass nipples considering it is going to be your first build together with your weight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V5.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  2. Weapons on Trail?
    By SabbathU71 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
  3. Mavic Speedcity Disc Wheel Set
    By SingleSpeedSlave in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 08:41 PM
  4. Some questions on tubeless vs standard wheelset?
    By SLinBend in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-04-2004, 01:15 PM
  5. Avg Heart Rate when training
    By Jdub in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-22-2004, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •