mtbr member
    May 2009

quickie - tubeless to save weight?

i'm curious about tubeless and want to convert my wheels and want to know how it will affect the wheel weight. let's assume i can find the same tire in the same size and that i'll be running sealant inside.

mtbr member
    There isn't a ton of weight savings because normally you need rim tape, sealant, and a tubeless tire that are generally heavier. There are lots of benefits of going tubeless, but weight savings are usually not the main one.

However, If you get UST wheels and UST tires, there usually is no need for sealant and my wheels didnt need rim tape. I saved quite a bit of weight by picking up my XT wheels and Nobby Nic Evo UST tires.

mtbr member
    I dropped about 200g going tubeless.

The advantage for me, however, is no longer getting punctures and pinch flats. I don't run crazy-low pressures like some guys so that advantage is lost on me. But I ride in thick Georgia woods and every trail is lined with thorn bushes. I was getting a puncture a month, minimum with tubes. I haven't had one since going tubeless in March.

It was also stupid-easy to mount up the tires...easier than installing tubes.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    I personally found it impossible to get a lighter tire with sealant, than my current tire and tube setup.
    435 gram tires, and 93 gram tubes. I don't ever get flats, so I don't get any advantages from going tubeless. I also gain the ability of making tire choices on race day, without having to worry about the mess of sealant.

mtbr member

Re: quickie - tubeless to save weight?

Every time I've switched a tire from tubed to tubeless I have dropped weight. Converting a pair seems to drop about 1/4 lb.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Ski during the off-season
    It depends in large part on if your wheels are tubelss ready (i.e., already have rim tape or the equivalent) and the weight of the tubes you are using. I only save 50g per wheel when going tubeless with my 29er wheels. I weighed my wheels before & after the conversion.

The tubes I used were 150g -- thus, the max I could save was 150g per tire. The 3 oz of sealant and valve stem weighed approx 100g (I say approx as the scale I used was in oz and not grams).

I have Specialized wheels that came tubeless ready and essentially have a rim strip installed already -- thus, I did not have to add a rim strip.

mtbr member
    Tubes weighed 140 or so and sealant added 60 plus the valve stem. I would say I lost a quarter pound or so overal when I switched. My tires and rims are TLR.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Tubeless to keep from getting pinch flats. Been using NoTubes for almost ten years now on a lot of different tires.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?